Author Topic: Cupcake (and Frosting) Recipes?  (Read 1165 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Cupcake (and Frosting) Recipes?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
I don't know about you, but I'm going to visit Outdoor Girl at work on Feb 24. Just sayin'. I'll bring the paper goods. ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »
I don't know about you, but I'm going to visit Outdoor Girl at work on Feb 24. Just sayin'. I'll bring the paper goods. ;D

Coming from Israel, that's going to be one heck of an expensive cupcake!    :D

I'm going to be busy the day before.  I'm up to about 5 or 6 dozen I have to make right now and there may still be a few more orders.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
Partner made these: http://www.somethingswanky.com/i-think-ive-decided-since-becoming-mom/

I loved them. Though, the instructions say to use a red M&M as a cherry, Partner used cherries (the kind you'd use in a sundae). They were excellent, and don't look terribly complicated to make (as in I think I could pull it off).

miritree

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
This blog looks delicious. I have the same chocolate cake recipe, and it's yummo.

http://thesugaryshrinkrecipes.blogspot.com/

bonyk

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
I'm up to 10 dozen cupcakes.  Yikes!

What I'm going to do, I think, is get as much organized and set out on Saturday as I can and then get up Sunday and start baking, one batch at a time.  As they cool and I get them frosted, I'm going to put them in containers and put them right into the car.  That way, they'll be cool overnight and I won't be trying to load 15 containers of cupcakes first thing in the morning.

Off to the dollar store tonight to buy some more containers...

I'm going with:  carrot with cream cheese icing; vanilla (bonyk's link) with vanilla buttercream icing; chocolate with chocolate buttercream icing and lemon with lemon buttercream icing.

I didn't want to get too complicated with all sorts of flavours when I'm making this kind of quantity.  The carrot and the lemon will take a bit more work with the grating of the carrots and zesting of the lemons but shouldn't be too bad.  What I'm dreading the most is the washing up.  I normally just throw everything in the dishwasher but I don't have that many bowls so I'll have to wash in between.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

doodlemor

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:39 AM »
Here is a tasty classic that I have made many, many times, and people really seem to like this.  Generally I make 1 1/2 times the recipe, and put it into a 9 x 13 " pan, because that's quicker.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bottom-cupcakes-i/

I put a mild/milk chocolate frosting on top, because the chocolate chips are intense.  Here is the frosting recipe:

Continental Icing [basic recipe was in the Buffalo News many years ago]

1 C milk or half and half
3 T flour - the quick dissolving kind works best

1 C unsalted butter
1 C granulated sugar - not a typo, use the regular, everyday sugar

1 ounce square of unsweetened chocolate, melted.

1.  Dissolve/whisk 3 T flour in 1 cup of milk or half and half in a largish bowl.  I use Wondra instant flour for this.

2.  Cook the custard in the microwave on high for 1 minute intervals, whisking after each minute.  After the second minute keep an eye on it, and take it out after it boils up for 30 seconds or  so.  The cooking time will depend on your particular microwave, temperature of milk, and so forth.  My microwave takes a bit over 3 minutes in the winter.  [The original recipe called for cooking the custard in a double boiler.]

3.  Take the custard out, whisk it a bit, and cover it with plastic wrap directly on top of the custard.  Let it cool - overnight is fine.

4.  Cream 1 cup or 2 sticks of unsalted butter in a mixing bowl.

5.  Add 1 cup of granulated sugar, and cream until it is well mixed.

6.  Put the beaters into the cooled custard, and whip it a bit to make sure that there are no lumps.

7.  Combine the mixtures and beat a bit.

8.  Add 1 melted square of unsweetened baking chocolate, and mix thoroughly.

This is really very easy frosting, and there are many interesting variations.  I've used brown sugar, added more chocolate, added instant coffee to the custard, added just vanilla sugar, and substituted liquer for part of the milk in the custard.  [If you do that, watch it carefully because the alcohol greatly affects the cooking time.] 

CakeEater

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »

What I'm going to do, I think, is get as much organized and set out on Saturday as I can and then get up Sunday and start baking, one batch at a time.  As they cool and I get them frosted, I'm going to put them in containers and put them right into the car.  That way, they'll be cool overnight and I won't be trying to load 15 containers of cupcakes first thing in the morning.

I'm going with:  carrot with cream cheese icing; vanilla (bonyk's link) with vanilla buttercream icing; chocolate with chocolate buttercream icing and lemon with lemon buttercream icing.

I didn't want to get too complicated with all sorts of flavours when I'm making this kind of quantity.  The carrot and the lemon will take a bit more work with the grating of the carrots and zesting of the lemons but shouldn't be too bad.  What I'm dreading the most is the washing up.  I normally just throw everything in the dishwasher but I don't have that many bowls so I'll have to wash in between.

Do you have a food processor? Normally, I wouldn't bother,but when grating quantities of carrots, it can be worth it to use the grating attachment. More washing up, though, of course. Good luck!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 06:43:35 AM »

wow! my colleagues are happy when i make *a* batch of brownies or blondies. like three times a year. that's *one* batch. you're amazing!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
I'm going to do the carrots by hand to put a finer shred on them.  I find that the cake comes out more moist with the really finely shredded carrot.

I'm going to do the vanilla first, then the lemon and then either the chocolate or the carrot - I won't have to wash the bowl/beaters in between, that way.  I'll just have to wash up in between the last two flavours.

I'll do the same for the icings - vanilla first, then lemon, then chocolate.  Clean up and do the cream cheese.
Ontario

LemonZen

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
How did the cupcake day go?  :D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 11:03:41 AM »
It went well.  I got all the cupcakes baked by 1:00 on Sunday, iced them over the afternoon after lunch and a rest.  The 'best vanilla cupcakes ever', I thought were kind of meh but then, I don't really like vanilla.  Everyone at work who had one thought they were alright.  The lemon cupcakes weren't really lemony but the icing was kick butt.

I ended up with 14 dozen, with a one of those in my freezer.  I'll be donating $150.

I'm not sure I'll be doing this again.  It was more work than I anticipated, mainly because I got more orders than I thought I would.
Ontario