Author Topic: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at  (Read 2866 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at
« on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
I can't cook beans worth a hoot, but I can cook very good hard boiled eggs, without a hint of the green border that forms around the yolk. 

Here's how I do it:
Place raw, unshelled eggs in pot with cold water (not warm, not hot) to cover by about and inch.
Add a little salt
Place on burner and bring to a boil.  Remove pot of eggs from the heat and cover. Allow them to sit for 15 minutes.
Pour off the hot water and replace it with cold, adding more cold as it warms up. 
Peel and eat.
Now, if anyone can tell me how to successfully peel the darn things, I would be very happy!

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
I can't cook beans worth a hoot, but I can cook very good hard boiled eggs, without a hint of the green border that forms around the yolk. 
Now, if anyone can tell me how to successfully peel the darn things, I would be very happy!

Use older eggs; 1-2 weeks old works well.
(As they age, the water evaporates through the shell and the egg pulls away from the shell slightly.)
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

blueyzca01

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic.  The time-consuming part is peeling the garlic.

Salt and pepper 4-6 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs and brown them in a little olive oil.  When browned on both sides remove from the pan and add your 40 peeled cloves of garlic and stir them around in the chicken fat for about 30 seconds.  Add 1 cup of white wine and reduce by half.   

Return thighs to the pan, add 1 cup of chicken stock and I usually throw in some sprigs of thyme (dried is fine too).  Place lid on pan and bake for an hour at 350į. 

If too much liquid is still in the pan after an hour, you could either reduce it some more on the stove, or I just remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes until itís reduced.

This always turns out really great and the garlic gets soft like buttah and is wonderful over rice.
And I do add all 40 cloves, even when itís just DH and me.  I can go through ĺ of the garlic all by myself. 

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic.  The time-consuming part is peeling the garlic.

Allow me to introduce you to NPR's trick for instantly peeling lots of garlic

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
Homemade mac n cheese.

nayberry

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
Homemade mac n cheese.

+1  with just a hint of mustard in the cheese sauce :D

my chicken doner kebabs are lovely (the takeaway secret by Kenny Mcgovern) and i make a mean chicken parm with hm marinara but my best is roast beef with all the trimmings, so roast spuds, carrots & parsnips, yorkshires, gravy sprouts :)  followed by apple crumble :D

blueyzca01

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
Well, I guess I have to go shopping for more kitchen supplies (darn it all).  Thank you Ms. Cellany!
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »
Well, I guess I have to go shopping for more kitchen supplies (darn it all).  Thank you Ms. Cellany!

We already have metal bowls, but our ovens are broken, so we can't roast chicken.

What I need is a recipe for lots of garlic for stovetop, crockpot, or grill/broil.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
Things I've just always been good at without ever working at it. I just always seemed to have the knack.

Pie crust. I can make several kinds and all turn out great.
Cakes... in my 40 plus years of baking, I've only had one turn out poorly.
Prime Rib. I think I was too stupid to be concerned the first time I made one and wasn't thinking "I could be screwing up a $100 piece of meat" Instead I was thinking "cool, season it up, but a thermometer in, throw it in the oven and forget about it. How easy is that".
Gravy... brown gravies, white gravies, sausage gravies. I really do not understand why people say they have a problem with it or getting lumps.

Things I practiced till I got really good
Paella... I combined a few different techniques and recipes and now can do a great one.
Chicken and Dumplings
Buttermilk biscuits. I had to really work at it and try tons of different recipes and techniques before I found a method that works for me. My dad would tell a story about how after his mom home delivered her 8th child she had the oldest girl bring her the bowl to make the day's biscuits and they turned out as good as ever. So it drove me a little nuts that the ability wasn't passed down to me.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
I learned to make pie crust and can turn out a very nice pie.

DH likes my chili (he LOVES chili) and once said mine was better than his mom's.  Yay.

I have a great recipe for meatless lasagna with spinach that we both enjoy.

I finally found a recipe for potato salad that I love and learned how to make cole slaw.

And I make baked beans in a bean pot that are always a hit at barbecues, block parties, or wherever I bring them.  (PS I think it's the pot).

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:38:42 PM »
Bijou, I always pierce the egg at the bottom AND at the top with a little round plastic gizmo that has a pin in it.  Also, after letting the eggs cool in the water I tap them all over until the shell is cracked but don't peel them - let them sit in the water for a bit.  I think the water seeps into the shell making them a bit easier to peel.  But I have my off days sometimes  ;)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
Not to brag, but I'm a pretty darn good cook!

Some of my specialties:
Lasagna. I gave up and started using the no-bake noodles. Comes out perfect every time!

Beef rouladen: One of my favorite comfort foods, and while takes some time, its quite tasty. 

As mentioned in the other thread: steak. I gave up trying to cook it soley in the frying pan, and sear and bake in the oven

Cookies: I used to make all kinds for the holidays, but due to time constraints i ahven't. But my cookies are delicious!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
I'm a baker.  I love doing it and have only rarely had something not turn out.  It was still edible; it just didn't look as pretty as it should have.  I bring my efforts into work and I've had more than one person ask me why I'm working here.  And I reply that I don't like baker's hours.   ;D

I bake bread, quick breads, scones, tea biscuits, cakes, cookies, pies, do some cake decorating, butter tarts, muffins - if you give me a recipe, I'll probably give it a whirl.  I don't do anything without a recipe.  I might tweak a recipe but I don't generally make up my own.

I do pot roasts and turkeys, with the trimmings including gravy, quite well.  Meatloaf and baked beans, squash soup, turkey soup, pea soup, all good.  Fancier food?  Not so much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

metallicafan

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
I am good at lasagne,  chicken or veal parmesan,  meatballs, pasta sauces.
I also seem to have a knack for baking.

Firecat

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
I'm pretty good at baking in general, but I'm particularly good at pie crust and cookies.