Author Topic: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at  (Read 3111 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
This thread just reminded me - muffins. Before I had issues with gluten, I used to make muffins all the time, and I got so I could just throw ingredients in a bowl until it looked right, and then bake. I love muffins!

I really need to start baking again...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Mikayla

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
Chicken quesadillas.  It's my own recipe and I don't do anything particularly unusual, but they get rave reviews every single time.  It might be partly because I cook a whole chicken in the crockpot for the meat, but I'm not sure.  It just works for some reason.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »
I invented a concoction we call "Schwoop" (pureed Southwestern soup)

Onion, garlic, cooked chicken, 1 can each white & black beans, 1 can crushed tomatoes, stock, chile powder, cumin, oregano, and a bit of rice vinegar.  Puree with immersion blender. Add frozen corn.  Top with grated cheese.

Edited to add tomatoes
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:46:12 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

alkira6

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
"Fake" pot roast.

3lbs thick cut sirloin, rinsed well, thrown into a crock pot with garlic, onion, paprika, a smidge of cayenne or crushed red pepper, and coriander.  Top with a couple pats of butter (because, that's why) and leave it alone on low for 6-8 hours.  Fall apart tender with it's own gravy in the bottom.

Bobbie

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
Chicken Katsu--basically boneless deep fried chicken with bread crumbs.  My kids call it panko chicken because I use panko bread crumbs.  If the kids' friend know I am making it then I have 3+ extra people for dinner.

My husband and I make a smokey mac and cheese with bacon.

Margo

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
Almond macaroons. White is ironic, as I can't stand the taste so I never eat them myself. But when I lived at home I would always be begged to make them if we ever had left over egg whites to use up.

Kariachi

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »
I make a mean chili (especially venison-pork), awesome pork ribs (whole, always whole), and I've had people beg me to make ginger krinkles (two inch balls, not one inch, let them spread together).
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »
Everything but fondue, my one failure.

I excel at homemade macaroni and cheese, any kind of casserole, soup, stew, chili, roast, bread. I love to cook.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
After being the family chef for decades, I've turned out to be a pretty good cook  My best dishes are chicken fajita lasagne as well as regular lasagne, beef stew, chicken and noodle casserole, cottage pie, meat pasties.  I used to make my own pastry but now I use prepared pie crusts.  I also make an appetizer that goes in seconds - whole water chestnuts wrapped in bacon with a ketchup-based glaze.  They are the yummiest thing ever!

heartmug

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
Homemade mac n cheese.

+1  with just a hint of mustard in the cheese sauce :D

Dijon mustard.  Yes, I have had many requests for my homemade mac N cheese.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
I'm a baker.  I love doing it and have only rarely had something not turn out.  It was still edible; it just didn't look as pretty as it should have.  I bring my efforts into work and I've had more than one person ask me why I'm working here.  And I reply that I don't like baker's hours.   ;D

I bake bread, quick breads, scones, tea biscuits, cakes, cookies, pies, do some cake decorating, butter tarts, muffins - if you give me a recipe, I'll probably give it a whirl.  I don't do anything without a recipe.  I might tweak a recipe but I don't generally make up my own.

I do pot roasts and turkeys, with the trimmings including gravy, quite well.  Meatloaf and baked beans, squash soup, turkey soup, pea soup, all good.  Fancier food?  Not so much.

Same here regarding recipes!

I've had really good luck with All Things Yeast.  Mostly, I think, because I do what I'm told by the recipe then stand back and give the yeast time to do its thing.  It's gotten so I'll bake a new bread product for a special occasion first time out without needing a trial run first.

My other successes -- crock pot meals, soups -- owe their success to that same patience.  And cheese.  I melt cheese on everything.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
Goulash. 

My goulash is a bit unusual.  Perhaps it's because my base recipe came from 'The Annotated Dracula'. 

I make it with pork instead of beef. It has plenty of paprika, garlic and onion. I add mushrooms and sauerkraut with a little tomato sauce and a touch of cayenne pepper.  The dish is served with buttered noodles and, just before serving, sour cream is stirred into the meat mixture. 

This is our 'Go To' dish when snow is in the forecast. 

I'm also pretty good with soups and stews.  I make a stew with just about every root vegetable known in the northern hemisphere and beef cooked down into shreds. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »
I'm a pretty good cook.  I used to write an Italian food page for a popular women's website. 

Bread.  I never use a recipe and my bread machine is a wonderful tool.  I bake it on a stone.  DS's & their friend's favorite is rosemary, crusted with sea salt. 

Risotto.  A friend of BIL in NY called him to ask if I was related because my online recipe was the best he'd ever made. 

Roast Leg of Lamb.  Boneless, I stuff it with a walnut-parsley pesto and have people who swear they hate lamb ask for more.  (Of course you have to start with good lamb.)

Souffles.  Love making them for company.  They are really easy and impress people  :P .

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

123sandy

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
Nothing really. There are things I cook that my family enjoy but nothing I'm confident enough to serve to others. It's a shame because I come from a family of good cooks/bakers, it didn't rub off.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
I make a mean chili and an even meaner minestrone. The latter is my own recipe, and I've been known to make substitutions if I'm out of one thing or another.....and it always turns out great. Also, cookies and muffins. I think I need to start baking again :)