Author Topic: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at  (Read 3006 times)

metallicafan

Re: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
Homemade mac n cheese.

+1  with just a hint of mustard in the cheese sauce :D

Dijon mustard.  Yes, I have had many requests for my homemade mac N cheese.

Would either of you be willing to share the recipe?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 07:28:25 PM »
Pavlova and pavlova rolls.

Custards, gravies, sauces.  (A whisk is your best weapon here)

Choux pastry.

Roast meals.

Cakes, scones (biscuits?) and dampers.  Pancakes / pikelets. 

I'm also a dab hand at 'one off, make it up as you go along, what the heck is left in the fridge, oh dear better use that before it needs to be thrown out' meals.  I made a stir-fry the other night with frozen scallops and salad ingredients, it was delicious.

jmarvellous

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
I'm best at, "What's in the fridge? I'm hungry for something with lots of ____" and then coming up with something out of whatever's around. We don't keep a ton of food on hand, but lots of seasonings and basic baking ingredients, so I can usually whip something up. I used to do a recipe blog.

I make very good cookies, soups, dishes with beans and tofu, and pasta dishes.

dawnfire

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »
I can't ice cakes. the icing turns our too soft, no matter how much icing sugar i use but on the other hand i can bake great cakes. I have a chilled cheesecake recipe that's to die for

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
I make awesome bbq chicken with homemade sauce, in the slow cooker.  I also make good lasagna and awesome chili.  I'm fortunate; my mother is a fabulous cook and she taught me so much.

I also make really awesome pumpkin pie...or so I'm told.  I'll make it, but I hate pumpkin pie and I won't eat it.  Same with mincemeat tarts and butter tarts.  I'll make em, but I won't eat em.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:50 AM »
You guys are making me hungry! 
About the eggs, thanks for the tips.  I certainly will try them.  By the time I get done peeling mine, half the whites have been torn away along iwth the shells.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

scotcat60

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 06:06:34 AM »
I have difficulty getting icing to the right consistency too. It often runs off the cake.

However, I can make a decent toad-in the-hole.

nayberry

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 06:33:32 AM »
Homemade mac n cheese.

+1  with just a hint of mustard in the cheese sauce :D

Dijon mustard.  Yes, I have had many requests for my homemade mac N cheese.

Would either of you be willing to share the recipe?

more than happy,  i use delia's bechamel sauce recipe, http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/savoury/classic-white-bechamel-sauce.html ,  and just add some mature cheddar & parmesan (approx 200-300gr of cheddar depending on how strong it is),  and a good heaped teaspoon of mustard, normally dijon but thats just personal preference.

i pre cook my macaroni according to the packet, drain and put in an oven dish, then mix in the sauce.  i top it with a mix of breadcrumbs and a little more grated cheese.  i either grill (broil?) it till the top is crispy, or if eating later i put in the oven for about 25 minutes at 180C

poundcake

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
Another one here who loves cooking, and is pretty good at it, too. I'm pretty adept at various potato-based soups, at any sort of tuna- or egg-salad (capers make things special!), and, my secret favorite, grilled peanut butter/bacon sandwiches.

I have a few signature company dishes I'm good at, like roast poultry with pretty much any sort of wine or cream reduction sauce. I'm baffled when people say that their turkey/chicken came out dry. It's so easy to roast one, and I never baste, either. I also make to-die-for cream cheese stuffing to go with it sometimes.

On the other hand, despite my awesomeness with reduction sauces, I fail at American-style gravy. I have no idea why. Maybe I should just call it "Turkey Reduction Sauce" next Thanksgiving, and it might finally work.

Girlie

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 03:45:51 PM »
The easiest frosting I've found is buttercream made with real butter. The only sugar you have to add is powdered, so it's never grainy. Melted chips of some sort (chocolate, white chocolate, etc.) add a nice flavor.

Although it's pretty fattening and indulgent, everyone loves it when I make it, and there's always plenty left over.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
My Jamaican coworker taught me how to make excellent jerk chicken. I made it the other night and my husband went nuts for it. It is really good but not for the faint of heart-very spicy! Still fine-tuning it, but it is truly wonderful.

I have, after several years of trying, finally mastered the art of cooking a London broil to tender perfection; it practically melts in your mouth.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

workingmum

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:06 PM »
Chilli prawns. They're a favourite with anyone who has eaten them. You can have them on skewers cokked on the BBQ, fried in a pan and served on a plate with salad, or I put them with linguine a few weeks. ago. Very versatile dish and full of flavour!
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

doodlemor

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
I think that I do a pretty decent job of bread and other things made of yeast dough.  My grandma showed me how to knead bread when I was young.  Nowadays, I often use the bread machine set on the dough cycle.  I have devised my own recipes for the machine, however, and shared several on ehell. 

I have made whole wheat, different rye breads, potato breads, oatmeal bread, sourdough bread, and so forth in addition to the basic white.  I've made different sorts of sweet rolls, too, and also coffee cakes and kringles.

This week I've made home made breadsticks, pizza, and calzones.  It's nice to have the oven heated up on cold days.  A recipe that calls for 4 cups of flour makes enough that there are some great leftovers, too.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »
I can't make a pie crust, and don't really care. I have trouble with toasted sandwiches, but now just make them in my Forman grill, like a panini. I hate coffee, but everyone says they look forward to my coffee. I think I but too many grounds in it.

My lasagna. I put the recipe in the family cook book and still no one can make it like mine and swear I must have a booby trap in it. I really don't understand it, even when I mention the actual brands (Prego for the sauce & everything else generic or house brand).  This has been going on for years. I'm at a loss.

Of course there is our smoked pulled pork bbq, but that we just do and there is no recipe. "Start with 1/2 Open Pit Original, 1/2 catsup, add pickle juice,horseradish mustard, brown sugar, honey." I don't know how to do it really. I just begin, Lucas tastes it and tells me how to tweak. It takes at least 5 hours to smoke the pork, so that may be part of it.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 07:56:10 AM »
I'm one of those freakish cooks that can pretty much make anything that other people find tricky.   I make pie crust, biscuits, scones, and dumplings by hand and only eyeball the ingredients.   Drives one of my friends insane because she can carefully sift and measure everything,  follow the recipe to the letter,  and end up with hockey pucks,  while I get these beautiful delicious fluffiness melt in your mouth creations. About the only thing I am insistent on following measurements on are breads and cakes and that is just because of chemistry.

I'm off the look through the fridge and pantry,  throw some stuff together,  toss in some spices until it  smells right camp. I make spectacular frosting,  my favorite being cream cheese frosting. People beg me to make them lasagna,  chili,  and chicken and dumplings.

If there is something I want to make, but actually don't know how,  I'll  flip through some recipes and mentally compile  what I like and dislike about each one ,  then tweek it on the fly.

I can't make coffee,  but I don't drink it and hate the smell of it,  so there's no loss there.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah