Author Topic: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at  (Read 2732 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O the dish you can't master...what you are good at
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 08:14:47 AM »
I'm also a pretty accomplished cook, and can usually guess recipes of food i taste, or understand how to change a recipe halfway through (first time i make it) to make it better.

I do great vegan baked beans, lentil soup, chicken soup (any soups, actually).

one of the things that i love putting together are sandwiches - good bread, homemade spreads, roast vegetables, fresh vegetables, and some kind of protein (the protein in this case is jus a vehicle for the spreads and bread 8) )

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
One of the things we're pretty good at is parsing restaurant dishes and replicating them at home.  Many's the time servers thought we might be critics preparing a review.  It certainly got us good service. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
I can't make a pie crust, and don't really care. I have trouble with toasted sandwiches, but now just make them in my Forman grill, like a panini. I hate coffee, but everyone says they look forward to my coffee. I think I but too many grounds in it.

My lasagna. I put the recipe in the family cook book and still no one can make it like mine and swear I must have a booby trap in it. I really don't understand it, even when I mention the actual brands (Prego for the sauce & everything else generic or house brand).  This has been going on for years. I'm at a loss.

Of course there is our smoked pulled pork bbq, but that we just do and there is no recipe. "Start with 1/2 Open Pit Original, 1/2 catsup, add pickle juice,horseradish mustard, brown sugar, honey." I don't know how to do it really. I just begin, Lucas tastes it and tells me how to tweak. It takes at least 5 hours to smoke the pork, so that may be part of it.

I think bakers who bake by feel and look will be more successful. Because humidity in the air and ingredients impact the quality so much, you naturally adjust amounts to get the dough you expect versus relying in exact measurements. But without lots of experience it's hard to develop that sixth sense.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 09:09:24 AM »
Well, I guess I have to go shopping for more kitchen supplies (darn it all).  Thank you Ms. Cellany!

We already have metal bowls, but our ovens are broken, so we can't roast chicken.

What I need is a recipe for lots of garlic for stovetop, crockpot, or grill/broil.

Slow Roasted Garlic Mojo - AKA  Mojo de Ajo
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=244

I made this the other day, and now it sits in my fridge in a mason jar.  WONDERFUL stuff.  I use it for everything that needs the flavor of garlic - which is almost everything that isn't sweet.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:12:47 AM by LadyJaneinMD »

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »

If there is something I want to make, but actually don't know how,  I'll  flip through some recipes and mentally compile  what I like and dislike about each one ,  then tweek it on the fly.

I do this too, it's exactly how my homemade bbq sauce came to be.  I found some recipes online and just used them as  rough guideline and winged it from there.  I know the ingredients but not the amounts, I just know when it "looks right".
"After all this time?"
"Always."

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 07:53:08 AM »

If there is something I want to make, but actually don't know how,  I'll  flip through some recipes and mentally compile  what I like and dislike about each one ,  then tweek it on the fly.

I do this too, it's exactly how my homemade bbq sauce came to be.  I found some recipes online and just used them as  rough guideline and winged it from there.  I know the ingredients but not the amounts, I just know when it "looks right".

I used to have a whole notebook of collected BBQ sauce recipes.  I love to make my own, because most commercial BBQ sauces are way too sweet.  I double the spices and cut the sugar in half, and they're wonderful. 
But this is, by far, my all-time favorite sauce to keep around:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Pork/SecretSauce.htm

I use it for EVERYTHING.   I'd like to say that it keeps forever, but I have never had it last more than a year.  It goes with everything and *in* everything.  I'm working on my 3rd recipe of it.
Try it, you'll love it.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »

I used to have a whole notebook of collected BBQ sauce recipes.  I love to make my own, because most commercial BBQ sauces are way too sweet.  I double the spices and cut the sugar in half, and they're wonderful. 

I use it for EVERYTHING.   I'd like to say that it keeps forever, but I have never had it last more than a year.  It goes with everything and *in* everything.  I'm working on my 3rd recipe of it.
Try it, you'll love it.

Curious about the secret sauce - what's special about del monte ketchup? And are red peppers in the recipe chillies or bell peppers (we'd call 'em capsicums)? Guessing chillies or how would the sauce be hot?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
Irish soda bread. :)  I once made soda bread muffins to take to an aunt's house, thinking we'd have them for breakfast the first morning we were there.   As soon as aunt knew what they were, she opened the container when more family showed up and between the 12 of us, those muffins didn't make it to the next morning.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »

Try it, you'll love it.

Curious about the secret sauce - what's special about del monte ketchup? And are red peppers in the recipe chillies or bell peppers (we'd call 'em capsicums)? Guessing chillies or how would the sauce be hot?

I just use whatever catsup I have on hand, since I rarely pay attention to name brands.  The red pepper flakes are hot pepper flakes.  The sauce is hot, but not overly hot to me, but then, I love hot stuff.
And as always, I cut the sugar in half. 

Dr. F.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »
Bijou, I always pierce the egg at the bottom AND at the top with a little round plastic gizmo that has a pin in it.  Also, after letting the eggs cool in the water I tap them all over until the shell is cracked but don't peel them - let them sit in the water for a bit.  I think the water seeps into the shell making them a bit easier to peel.  But I have my off days sometimes  ;)

Likewise,I peel eggs under a slow stream of cold water. It seems to work well.

lisat

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »

garlic chicken-it is the easiest dish ever.  You take a chicken-cut it into pieces and brown them in olive oil. Take a whole bulb of garlic-coarsely chopped and toss that in there and lightly brown. The magic ingredient is a bottle of beer. Any kind except for lite beer. Pour that over the chicken, cover and cook until the chicken is done. Serve with french fries and that sauce makes it yummy.  One of the families favorite dinner.