News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 09:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Musical Surprise  (Read 5161 times)

Thipu1

A Musical Surprise
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »
When we were planning our Wedding we didn't give much thought to music.  While meeting with the priest who was to officiate, he asked if we wanted to pay an extra 50USD for a singer who would be in the loft with the organist whose fee was included in the a rental for the church.  He explained that these singers came from a 'local music school', were quite good and had a standard repertoire for Weddings that was was very tasteful.

Sure.  Why not?

Because we were older and my Father refused to walk me down the aisle, Mr. Thipu and I came to the altar together. I sincerely doubt if many of the guests paid much attention to us.  As soon as we stepped off a beautiful love duet began between the altar and the loft.  Guests looked like they were watching a tennis match as their heads shot back and forth to catch where this wonderful music was coming from.

It turned out that our Priest was an accomplished tenor.   The soprano also had a gorgeous voice.  We found out later that the 'local music school' was Julliard.

She did another short solo during our ceremony and there was another duet for the Recessional.  At the reception we were complimented on the non-traditional but perfectly appropriate choice of music.

Outdoor Girl

Re: A Musical Surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:45:13 PM »
Sounds a bit like the minister at my Dad's church.  She's a trained opera singer - alto - so she says she got all the witches, *itches and w*ores parts.   :D  She has a lovely voice; when my Mom was dying, she'd visit her in the hospital and would always sing a hymn for her.  Fortunately, no one in our small town hospital objected to the music coming from the end of the hall.  And to make it even more special, at the time, my parents didn't even go to her church.

Friends of mine were in a choir and other friends were getting married.  So as a surprise, the choir members performed an Irish wedding blessing at the wedding.  It has become a tradition.  When two of the choir members got married, the other two pulled their son into the group and did the same thing.  And it happened again at the next two receptions with friends.

I've told them that if I ever get married, they're doing that for me as my recessional.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
When my mom and stepdad were married, a friend of theirs sang at their wedding.  They hadn't asked what song she'd sing, and she picked "Give Yourself to Love" by Kate Wolf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftkEx0HAnAA.  I loved the song, and listened to it all the time after that.  When DH and I were married, I looked up Kate Wolf's website, and found a note from her estate stating that, as it was written for a wedding, the estate did not require any permissions or notifications if couples wanted to use it for their own wedding.  So DH and I had it sung at our wedding!  We asked his sister to sing, and while I barely remember it (so much of that day is a blur that I wish I remembered more clearly!), many many people told us it was beautiful and absolutely perfect. 

Marozia

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »
I think you got yourself a bargain there.  Not many Juilliard-trained singers would be happy with $50US.  Well done!

Thipu1

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
I think you got yourself a bargain there.  Not many Juilliard-trained singers would be happy with $50US.  Well done!

This was back in 1983 and she was a student at the time.  50 USD was considered quite generous. 

We never knew her name or even saw her.  I sometimes wonder if we later heard her singing at the Met.  I hope so. 

Yvaine

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
She's a trained opera singer - alto - so she says she got all the witches, *itches and w*ores parts.   :D

Ha! I'm also an alto and I love it.  ;D ;D ;D Though unlike her, I'm not particularly good at it!

gellchom

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »
Here are two musical wedding surprise stories:

My husband wrote the music for our wedding.  It was based on a musical interval that corresponded to my name, and it went slow for the processional and fast for the recessional.  He also wrote music for our son's wedding and for our daughter's wedding last month.  When we got to the recessional at Daughter's wedding, *I* was the one who got the musical surprise: they played the recessional from our wedding 32 years ago.  My daughter and husband decided to use it and then got the idea of making it a surprise for me.  I was so touched -- what a sweet, non-bridezilla gesture.

Several years ago, I attended a Catholic wedding, one of the first if not the first I'd been to.  A very nice guest next to me who attended that church explained whatever I needed to know.  But she forgot to tell me about one thing they do at that church.  At the very end of the ceremony, a bagpiper in the back of the church (and it wasn't a big room) let out a very, very loud blast to begin his piece for the recessional.  I almost jumped out of my skin!  When I later learned that bagpipes were used on battlefields to scare the enemy out of their wits, it made sense to me.

Thipu1

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
gellchom's first story is beautiful.  That's the sort of thing that could become a family tradition. 

The second story made me laugh because I remember something similar.  Pipers aren't a regular fixture at Catholic Weddings but Irish couples may have one if they know someone who plays. 

I was a guest at a Wedding and the couple had the piper stationed outside the church to serenade the bridal party and the guests as they left.  The piper also piped the bridal party into the reception hall. 

The place had a rather low ceiling and the noise was loud enough to shake the glasses on the table. To make sure there'd be enough champagne flutes for a proper toast, the piper was relegated to an adjoining outdoor pool area.  Some older guests kept their hearing aids turned off, just in case. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 04:28:46 PM »
I walked down the aisle at my wedding to the Theme from the Inner Light which is a piece written by Jay Chattaway and was in a Star Trek: the Next Generation episode. That surprised a lot of people when they found out the source. Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGXnkFrhpR8
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien