Author Topic: S/O The One Dish -- The One Thing You can't do  (Read 2320 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: S/O The One Dish -- The One Thing You can't do
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:50 PM »
I can't dance.   It's not like I have two left feet,  more like five.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

dawnfire

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »
I can crochet well but can't knit for peanuts

Otterpop

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:30 AM »
Sewing, I cannot sew, I cannot wrap my mind around the idea of a pattern. I end up in tears. If i do attempt to sew, I need absolute quiet for at least 4 hours and well, I have kids, that's not happening :)

I can make an awesome pillow, and a made a super blanket cape for my son for Christmas, so I get the concept, but if there is a pattern, I'm done for.

I've also tried knitting and crocheting, but for some reason I just can't get it. I have the hooks, I have yarn, I have the desire, but I just can't do it.

I can't sew either.  I think it has to do with not being able to "see" and manipulate the flat 2-D pattern to 3-D in my head.  There are all these weird shaped pieces that I can't figure out how they fit together.  Following step by step instructions is like creating something blind.  Some times it comes out right, sometimes it doesn't.  I've created horrendous, ill fitting garments from yards and yards of expensive fabric many times.  Pillows and valances are easy because of the straight lines.  Try something curvy and fitted and it goes from machine to scrap pile.

Plus, my machine sabotages me by snagging fabric, breaking threads and making me untangle the bobbin from underneath the carriage.  It hates me and I hate it.  It lives in the closet, new, pristine and undisturbed.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Sewing, I cannot sew, I cannot wrap my mind around the idea of a pattern. I end up in tears. If i do attempt to sew, I need absolute quiet for at least 4 hours and well, I have kids, that's not happening :)

I can make an awesome pillow, and a made a super blanket cape for my son for Christmas, so I get the concept, but if there is a pattern, I'm done for.

I've also tried knitting and crocheting, but for some reason I just can't get it. I have the hooks, I have yarn, I have the desire, but I just can't do it.

I can't sew either.  I think it has to do with not being able to "see" and manipulate the flat 2-D pattern to 3-D in my head.  There are all these weird shaped pieces that I can't figure out how they fit together.  Following step by step instructions is like creating something blind.  Some times it comes out right, sometimes it doesn't.  I've created horrendous, ill fitting garments from yards and yards of expensive fabric many times.  Pillows and valances are easy because of the straight lines.  Try something curvy and fitted and it goes from machine to scrap pile.

Plus, my machine sabotages me by snagging fabric, breaking threads and making me untangle the bobbin from underneath the carriage.  It hates me and I hate it.  It lives in the closet, new, pristine and undisturbed.

It's not that YOU can't sew - it's that you need a better tempered machine!

I used to have a vampire machine, it sewed fine, as long as it got to "bite me" about once a year....

One more thing that I remembered - I can't whistle loudly.  I can whistle, but it is hard to hear me over six feet (about two meters) away.  Just call me "Breathless".....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?