Author Topic: S/O The One Dish -- The One Thing You can't do  (Read 2864 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
S/O The One Dish -- The One Thing You can't do
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
I do not have any repeated failures at cooking, and I don't want to derail that thread.

I have been embroidering 50 years (gulp - I'm that old? ???).  If I say so myself, it's beautiful.  But I can not make French knots.  Maybe because I was so young when I started, and I convinced myself it was hopeless back then.  I have learned more complicated techniques since then, but I didn't brain wash myself on those.

Anytime I try, I end up with a snarl.  That is why my theory is that French knots are overrated.  Plus now I really only do counted thread cross stitch, and I don't need knots.

This last year, I started learning quilling, and I was having trouble figuring out how to do a spiral.  In my hind brain, my 8 year old self was screaming, "It's the French knots all over again!"  I did persist, and suddenly I was able to do it.  Not the way the book said (I should be twisting the tool, and not the paper, but I do it backwards of that), but the results are the same and they look right, and once I figured it out, it was easy.

I also do not back into a parking spot.  I always end up crooked, and for all the grunting and panting I do, it is just not worth the effort.

What are your chinks?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Mikayla

Re: S/O The One Dish -- The One Thing You can't do
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:08:49 PM »
Crochet.  A friend and I even took classes at a shop in Old Town Alexandria, and everyone was excited to see what we came up with.   We made afghans.

Hers?  You could put it in a display window anywhere and it would have sold.  Mine?  It got the pregnant pause treatment.  "Oh wow!  That's so......   

Finally, we just laughed at it.  There just weren't words.  But I was disappointed all the same.

magicdomino

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
Back when I did embroidery, I couldn't do french knots either.  They just kind of disappeared.

Come to think of it, I have trouble backing up a vehicle too.  I blame it on driving a pick-up truck.  The back bumper is so far back that I can't tell where it is. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :D

GreenHall

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:17:22 PM »
BACK into a parking place?  If I pull into the space, and am not over the lines anywhere I call it good.  So often I would go to fix it, and wind up in exactly the same spot, except frustrated, so I made that rule for myself.  I don't purposely park badly, but when the reusults are less than optimal, I just hope no SUVs are also having bad parking days.

English1

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »
Make a good cup of coffee. I don't drink it. No one in my family drinks it. I cannot work out what colour it is supposed to be. I give up. Poor OH is a very fussy coffee drinker, and now I won't even try.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
Make a good cup of coffee. I don't drink it. No one in my family drinks it. I cannot work out what colour it is supposed to be. I give up. Poor OH is a very fussy coffee drinker, and now I won't even try.

Me, too!  I was 'taught' to make coffee by a couple of Irish priests.  They liked their coffee very strong and cooked on top of the Mr. Coffee all day long.  The other priests would always dump my coffee and make a fresh pot.  It took me years to realize that the Mr. Coffee warmer was actually capable of 'cooking' the coffee.  I thought one pot should last all 8 hours of my shift, if no one drank it.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

MindsEye

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »
BACK into a parking place?  If I pull into the space, and am not over the lines anywhere I call it good.  So often I would go to fix it, and wind up in exactly the same spot, except frustrated, so I made that rule for myself.  I don't purposely park badly, but when the reusults are less than optimal, I just hope no SUVs are also having bad parking days.

Ditto.

And I will also add - parallel parking.  To the point where if I am driving, and my DH is with me, and we need to parallel park, I will get out of the car and have him do it.  Otherwise we are in for a long stretch of awkwardly lurching forward and backward as I try to inch ever closer to the curb and also not hit the cars in front of and behind the spot I am aiming for...

(I blame the fact that I am quite short and have trouble seeing over the back of the seat...)

metallicafan

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »

Ditto.

And I will also add - parallel parking.  To the point where if I am driving, and my DH is with me, and we need to parallel park, I will get out of the car and have him do it.  Otherwise we are in for a long stretch of awkwardly lurching forward and backward as I try to inch ever closer to the curb and also not hit the cars in front of and behind the spot I am aiming for...

(I blame the fact that I am quite short and have trouble seeing over the back of the seat...)

I can't parallel park either.  I'm embarrassed that I never mastered it.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
I can't parallel park either in a real life situation unless there are limousine car lengths available.  Fortunately I didn't have to get my driver's licence in California. When I had to retake the physical driving test in New Jersey (long story about bureaucracy) the space for the parallel parking was the length of a long haul tractor truck. 

I've never been able to master sewing in a zipper. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

magicdomino

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:46:31 PM »

I could parallel park when I drove a compact sedan.  Not with the pick-up truck.  Again, it's that pesky back bumper floating around way back there. 

heartmug

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
I can't sing.  I have tried and tried, but what comes out of my mouth it is so off - key, I have had people tell me that I am just trying to be funny.

Now when I am in the shower......

:P
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »
I can't sing.  I have tried and tried, but what comes out of my mouth it is so off - key, I have had people tell me that I am just trying to be funny.

Now when I am in the shower......

:P

Me neither.  In church my DSs would say, "Mom, don't sing so loud.  You're throwing everybody else off."  I reminded that this is the voice the deity gave me so I'm giving it right back.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

GreenHall

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

I could parallel park when I drove a compact sedan.  Not with the pick-up truck.  Again, it's that pesky back bumper floating around way back there.

Parallel parking was not on the driving exam I did (thank deity!). I did take drivers Ed but I think between what we wnt through to get me able to park even head on*  and it not being required - never even brought up.   I have general ideas of what it would involve ( like I do of driving manual) but mostly I just hope it never comes up.

*in a completely empty parking lot, all the other students were upset about the imaginary bumpers I was taking out.  I still park worse sometimes in a more open situation.  The other cars provide a visual guide for where to go.  If they are not there, once the lines are out of sight at I start parking - I don't remember where they are, compared to how much of the turn I've made so far. (Does that make sense?)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
For those who have trouble backing up - three words for you:  Back up camera!

My new vehicle has one and I love it.  My brother's driveway is difficult.  He backs down and has taught his sons to do the same.  At Christmas, I had the three of them in the back seat, my Dad was in the front - I was the DD.  I didn't back all the way down but I used the turnaround and got backed right in, no problem, using the camera.  Because I was looking at the camera and not behind me, my nephews thought I was using the mirrors.  Until one of them noticed the camera.  'THAT'S CHEATING', he said.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bluenomi

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
I managed to live in the UK for a year and not have to reverse parallel park once. I hated it so never did it. Until I got my new car with a reverse camera, now it's easy! Not that I have to do it often around here.

I also can't do French knots. I had to teach myself to knit left handed so can only manage basic knitting, nothing fancy.