Author Topic: S/O The One Dish -- The One Thing You can't do  (Read 3003 times)

soupmom

Re: S/O The One Dish -- The One Thing You can't do
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
Blow up a balloon.  For some reason I can't produce the steady stream of air needed to blow one up. 
Can't whistle either.  Nothing comes out when I purse my lips.

I'm not sure why I never learned either of these skills.

jmarvellous

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
Balloons, most parking,  most handicrafts,  and definitely singing and dancing. The common element is a lack of depth perception,  coordination, and musical sense. I surely will never learn an instrument, skate well, or be any sort of daredevil. It's just not in me!

I can whistle,  but I cannot modulate it at all to make a tune.

GreenHall

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
Blow up a balloon.  For some reason I can't produce the steady stream of air needed to blow one up. 
Can't whistle either.  Nothing comes out when I purse my lips.

I'm not sure why I never learned either of these skills.
I can generally get the balloon inflated.  I have about a 25% success rate getting it tied off.  Maybe a little higher if getting it tied, while no longer inflated counts.

faithlessone

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
Count me as another one who can't parallel park - unless I'm alone. If there is no one in the vicinity, in or out of the car, I can do it without any issue, but if I even dimly think there might be someone watching me, my skills go out the window.

I cannot catch. Not sure whether it's a depth perception issue or a mild phobia, but I am almost completely incapable of catching anything thrown at me.

Library Dragon

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »
I can't snap my fingers. Or do the "fingers in your mouth" whistle, although I can whistle normally okay. I also can't do the hand under the armpit fart sound.

I forgot about these two. I can only snap the fingers of my left hand, not my right. 

I cannot whistle at all.

I am not physically coordinated. When I used to do aerobics the moment I finally got the routine down they change it because everyone else is bored.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

daen

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
Count me as another one who can't parallel park - unless I'm alone. If there is no one in the vicinity, in or out of the car, I can do it without any issue, but if I even dimly think there might be someone watching me, my skills go out the window.

I cannot catch. Not sure whether it's a depth perception issue or a mild phobia, but I am almost completely incapable of catching anything thrown at me.

I was convinced I couldn't catch. My husband told me I could, and kept lobbing easy ones at me. Couple the easy throws with a generous dose of positive reinforcement with every catch, and I am now pretty confident, with a high success rate.
(All bets are off if you put a baseball glove on my hand and expect me to play catch, or worse - outfield.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:38:39 PM by daen »

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
I wish there was only one thing I couldn't do!  :P

I can't crochet, knit or sew on a sewing machine. 

I can't whistle.

I can't bake.  Cooking is fine, baking is not.

I can't swim well.

StarFaerie

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 04:49:53 AM »
I cannot clean. I try to clean my house, and it isn't gross, but I can't seem to get the sparkly clean look and smell. Even microfiber rags, the heaven-sent cleaning supply that works miracles, leave fuzzies and streaks behind when I use them. I so wish I could afford a maid service.

Oh thank goodness there is someone else like me! Even with the best cleaning supplies it never comes out right.

I can't parallel park or reverse park.

I also cannot wink. I try, but both eyes will close unless I hold one in place with my hand.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 04:52:45 AM »
I cannot clean. I try to clean my house, and it isn't gross, but I can't seem to get the sparkly clean look and smell. Even microfiber rags, the heaven-sent cleaning supply that works miracles, leave fuzzies and streaks behind when I use them. I so wish I could afford a maid service.

Oh thank goodness there is someone else like me! Even with the best cleaning supplies it never comes out right.

I can't parallel park or reverse park.

I also cannot wink. I try, but both eyes will close unless I hold one in place with my hand.
I can only wink my left eye.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 09:29:31 AM »
I'm the opposite of Library Dragon.  I can snap my fingers with my right hand, but not my left.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
I can't wink with my right eye, only my left eye.

I can knit, sew, & embroider - but my crochet looks like it was done by Captain Hook (book reference to Peter Pan) - I gave up trying so long ago, I no longer remember why it looked so bad...just that it did look that bad.

I can't make biscuits (breakfast staples in the American South - I use the ones in the can from the cooler at the store).  The ones I make are NOT light & fluffy...other baking turns out as expected - not breakfast biscuits. 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »
For the longest time (almost ten years), I couldn't do French knots either - I tied a square knot in my thread and pretended it was the same thing. Then I watched a tutorial (needlenthread.com) and the lightbulb went on in my head. I was supposed to start winding on the needle with my loops stacking toward the point, and I was doing it stacking toward the eye. Drawn directions are not my friend in embroidery!

Things I have definitely tried and failed to learn:
knitting - I could probably try again some time but I was so frustrated trying to learn the first time.
juggling - nope!
whistling - also nope! Jealous of people who can.
precalculus - I understand a few of the basic principles, but if you give me a proof to solve I start getting hives.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

mumma to KMC

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
Sewing, I cannot sew, I cannot wrap my mind around the idea of a pattern. I end up in tears. If i do attempt to sew, I need absolute quiet for at least 4 hours and well, I have kids, that's not happening :)

I can make an awesome pillow, and a made a super blanket cape for my son for Christmas, so I get the concept, but if there is a pattern, I'm done for.

I've also tried knitting and crocheting, but for some reason I just can't get it. I have the hooks, I have yarn, I have the desire, but I just can't do it.

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
I can't ride a bike. I used to be able to when I was a kid but stopped when I was about 10. I didn't attempt to start again until a couple of decades later and was surprised to learn that I couldn't do it any longer. I think it's a combination of overthinking, my natural clumsiness and a fear of falling.   :P

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
For the longest time (almost ten years), I couldn't do French knots either - I tied a square knot in my thread and pretended it was the same thing. Then I watched a tutorial (needlenthread.com) and the lightbulb went on in my head. I was supposed to start winding on the needle with my loops stacking toward the point, and I was doing it stacking toward the eye. Drawn directions are not my friend in embroidery!

Things I have definitely tried and failed to learn:
knitting - I could probably try again some time but I was so frustrated trying to learn the first time.
juggling - nope!
whistling - also nope! Jealous of people who can.
precalculus - I understand a few of the basic principles, but if you give me a proof to solve I start getting hives.

I was in my thirties before I started making French knots that stayed put - I had joined a cross stitch group that met at a quilt shop (also sold embroidery supplies & did framing - have to make enough money to pay the rent & utilities and the owner needs to pay HER other bills at home).  One of the other members "walked" me through doing it a few times and it finally worked.  I think I was winding the wrong direction, too.

I also found that moving the needle over ONE thread instead of going back through the same hole helped a lot....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?