Author Topic: S/O LadyL's Houseguest Thread  (Read 4183 times)

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
S/O LadyL's Houseguest Thread
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »
So what does everyone consider the minimum standard of cleanliness that etiquette requires a host provide to their guests?
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: S/O LadyL's Houseguest Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »
You don't have to be able to eat off the floor, but you shouldn't be afraid to walk on it, either.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
-Clean sheets on the bed the guest will be sleeping in.

-Hair cleaned out of shower/sinks of bathroom.

-Clean glasses so guest can help themselves to a glass of water without having to wash dishes.

-If pets are involved, clean up pet hair to the best of your ability on surfaces guest may be sitting on.  Obviously, this may be a losing battle!  :)

auntmeegs

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:29:26 PM »
I think this is going vary from person to person.  I am a neat/clean freak so my house will always been completely spotless for guests. 

magicdomino

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
You don't have to be able to eat off the floor, but you shouldn't be afraid to walk on it, either.

:D

All flat surfaces recently dusted, including picking up and dusting the knick-knacks.  And by recently, I mean within the last week, not last year.  I'm not going to look under the bed or on top of the door, but the bookcase shouldn't make me sneeze.

No food debris outside the kitchen, and only today's food debris in the kitchen.  Crumb trails, apple cores and dirty plates make me think of insects, and insects have too many legs for any reasonable creature.  Now that I think of it, can we keep the cobwebs to a minimum?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Clean floors, bathrooms, public areas. If you have pets, I probably won't want to stay there but if I do, please vacuum and air out the house.

Clean towels, bedding. Please put a fresh( Clean ) handtowel in the bathroom.

I don't mind if your home is a bit messy but too much clutter is annoying.  So please clear out the guest room- its OK if you stash things under the bed, just try and leave me a clear room.

If you have a mold issue, bed bugs  termites, etc, let me know and I'll just come a different time.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I am no Martha Stewart but I keep my house so I enjoy living in it, so it is always "company ready" or could be in five minutes (like, putting shoes into my stepson's room).  The guest room is always ready to go with fresh sheets.  If I know i will have company I will of course dust, vacuum, make sure flowers are just so, but otherwise I do these things as a matter of course regularly and every night everything is put away and cleaned up for a clean start in the morning.  We are not a cluttered household.

Millionaire Maria

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
I expect the room the guest is staying in to have a clean floor, dusted surfaces, and clean sheets. I think the bathroom, including the shower, should have been cleaned sometime in the last two days. I think the public areas of the house, that the guest is welcome in, should be clean enough that a person will not get dust on their clothes and hands by brushing up against anything. The kitchen should be clean enough that there is no risk of food contamination, and there should be clean dishes to use. Also, if young children are among the guests, the floors of the common areas should be clean enough for them to crawl on and free of obvious choking hazards. If pets are invited, the common areas should be safe and free of potential falling objects.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Millionaire Maria

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
I think this is going vary from person to person.  I am a neat/clean freak so my house will always been completely spotless for guests.

I'm the same way, but I confess that I don't expect that level of cleanliness when visiting other people. I'm okay with dealing with some clutter and pet hair, for example, but dirty dishes strewn about would make me grab a hotel.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
As I do with many threads, I'll start by saying "it depends" Are they coming for a short period of time, i.e. dinner and a movie, something like that, or actually staying with me over night or longer?

Short-term: house is picked up, no clutter, and depending on how long its been since I last did it, dusting/vacuuming done, bathroom cleaned (aside from the tub/shower) and kitchen cleaned and floor mopped. Clean guest towels in the bathroom too.

Long-term, as in overnight. All of the above, plust clean sheets and bath towels. I live in a 1BR apt, so any guest sleeps on the air mattress or couch. But bedding is always ready to go.

Generally speaking, due to me having very little free time, any guest is planned, so I generally have time to clean and get ready. I almost never have people drop by on a whim, so that's not usually an issue. I'm kind of slobby so if they did, I might run around and chuck stuff in my BR and close the door, just so as not too look like a total slob!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
I would have to do a little straightening, as in remove the mail from the dining room table.  I always make sure that guests get clean sheets and bath towels.  It helps having someone clean my place every two weeks.  It keeps me on my toes, and I don't stress when people come by.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

auntmeegs

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »

I'm the same way, but I confess that I don't expect that level of cleanliness when visiting other people. I'm okay with dealing with some clutter and pet hair, for example, but dirty dishes strewn about would make me grab a hotel.

Yes, exactly.  My standards for my own home are much higher than what I would need at someone else's house. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »
   I'm going to answer 2 ways.

As a guest I would feel my hosts were rude. IF there were not clean places to sit , eat , sleep , bath,  clean dishes/glasses they can be paper and its find if the host has to wash them after I arrive. There can be clutter but I shouldn't have to step over things or contort to move from room to room.  In general things don't have to be perfect it I would find a bad build of of dust on the furniture or debris on the floor to be off (I mean like not dusted in more then a week or 2 )

For myself as host ...total spring cleaning level clean. 

I'm answering for a overnight guest. I should add the caveat that emergencies would be an exception.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »

Yes, exactly.  My standards for my own home are much higher than what I would need at someone else's house.

This goes to show different strokes for different folks.  I an allergic to many/most pets and visible pet hair squick me out.  I abhor clutter.  I wouldn't think poorly of people if this is what their house is like (I can't think of when I've been in such a situation, but if I were) but I would not likely visit them at their home again!

Amara

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
My everyday living standards are pretty good so I go with that. The guest bedroom and bathroom are always ready. The bathroom is kept very clean with the shower, toilet, counters, and sink scrubbed and all supplies filled. The bedroom is also ready to go with a made bed, extra blankets and pillows, working light bulbs, books on the nightstand, hangers and a fresh bathrobe in the closet. I am a minimalist so there is no clutter, but you can expect visits from my cats who are always interested in new smells.