Author Topic: Gone 26  (Read 4286 times)

GratefulMaria

Re: S/O LadyL's Houseguest Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:39:42 PM »
Same as most posters.  Our place is picked up, fresh bedding ready, clean towels for the taking in the bathroom.  We also keep a stash of travel-size toothpaste tubes, toothbrushes, and tumblers in one of the bathroom drawers.  Our guests consist of DS1, DS2, and their girlfriends, so it's a combination of very casual and trying to keep the house company-ready for my own sake anyway.

DS1 has a strong affection for very good coffee that he mail orders.  We're perfectly happy with our ground up-market grocery store brand, and he knows this.  So when he came up for Thanksgiving he brought his own coffee; our initial conversation went something like this:

DS1:  You still have toothbrushes and stuff like that upstairs, right?
Me:  Sure.  You forget yours?
DS1:  I didn't have room -- needed to pack my coffee.
Me:  <goggling>  You didn't pack a toothbrush but you packed coffee???
DS1:  But I knew you'd have toothbrushes and things.
Me:  Well, we have coffee, too!
DS1:  <smiling but trying not to>  Weeellllll . . .

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
House is tidy, dusted and hoovered. Bathrooms are cleaned. Kitchen is spotless. Guest room has fresh bedding, clean glasses, water, snacks, books, magazines, batteries in the TV remote, a selection of DVDs, clean towels, a selection of toiletries in a drawer, I think flowers are nice but not necessary. A fan in summer, extra blankets in winter and a folding chair to put their bag on.

You expect that or you have that? Because...that sounds more like a hotel (a nice one at that) then someone's house. Our guest room doesn't even have a DVD player, though I do keep extra shampoo and coniditonare, along with some body wash, in the guest bathroom. And food is all available downstairs in the kitchen. I do make sure to stock up on extra water and snacks (and usually a favorite food/drink item), but again, in the kitchen. And yeah, clean sheets on the bed.

I don't want anything crawling on me. My days of crashing on floors is over, I'll need at least a sofa. Take out the trash, clean up whatever bathroom I'm using, and well...I think the rule of I don't need to be able to eat off the floor but I do need to be able to walk on it. When I'm a house guest I drop my standards a lot. Mostly because I'm staying there for free, I don't except to be like a hotel I'd be paying for.

I will say for my best friends, I don't give a hoot what their homes look like. And not enough notice of a visit (ie, calling and saying "we're in the area, we're dropping by"), I don't rush around making sure the place is up to snuff. That's what you get when you just drop by. Usually our place is pretty clean, but dog toys (and fluff from the toys) are usually scatted around, and there might be some dishes in the sink.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Since I only have one TV, there is no TV or DVD player in any bedroom. I don't provide reading material or snacks in a guest room (if I had one).

I do agree with clean linens, a minimum of clutter, and vacuuming within a couple days of company coming over.

YoginiSaysYes

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
It depends on the occasion, to me. Having a girlfriend over for wine and TV is a different sort of hosting than having two couples over for a dinner party. The former might not even prompt me to make my bed, while the latter might inspire me to buy new napkins.

If someone is coming over, the bare minimum I do is make sure there's no toothpaste in the sink, no underwear on the floor and no cat litter smell.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »
The bathroom should be clean. By that I don't necessarily mean just-that-minute cleaned, but cleaned within recent memory, like less than a week ago.

For an overnight visit, clean sheets and towels.

The rest of the house can be cluttered, especially if there are kids, but shouldn't be dirty.

Several years ago, my brother landed in the hospital when his youngest was a week old. I drove the 500 miles to stay with my lovely sister-in-law and help care for the three kids. This was an emergency, and I didn't expect anything in the way of hospitality. Poor SIL kept apologizing that I had to make my own bed. Seriously?

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

katycoo

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 05:16:23 PM »
Tidy up.  Having magazines out on a coffee table or mail on the bench is one thing, but shoes on the floor and junk all over the table, no.

No dirty dishes around the place.

No visible grime in bathroom or kitchen.  Wipe down these surfaces.  Ensure toilet and shower are clean.

Clean bedding and towels.

Recently vaccuummed/swept floors.

123sandy

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »
House is tidy, dusted and hoovered. Bathrooms are cleaned. Kitchen is spotless. Guest room has fresh bedding, clean glasses, water, snacks, books, magazines, batteries in the TV remote, a selection of DVDs, clean towels, a selection of toiletries in a drawer, I think flowers are nice but not necessary. A fan in summer, extra blankets in winter and a folding chair to put their bag on.

You expect that or you have that? Because...that sounds more like a hotel (a nice one at that) then someone's house. Our guest room doesn't even have a DVD player, though I do keep extra shampoo and coniditonare, along with some body wash, in the guest bathroom. And food is all available downstairs in the kitchen. I do make sure to stock up on extra water and snacks (and usually a favorite food/drink item), but again, in the kitchen. And yeah, clean sheets on the bed.

I don't want anything crawling on me. My days of crashing on floors is over, I'll need at least a sofa. Take out the trash, clean up whatever bathroom I'm using, and well...I think the rule of I don't need to be able to eat off the floor but I do need to be able to walk on it. When I'm a house guest I drop my standards a lot. Mostly because I'm staying there for free, I don't except to be like a hotel I'd be paying for.

I will say for my best friends, I don't give a hoot what their homes look like. And not enough notice of a visit (ie, calling and saying "we're in the area, we're dropping by"), I don't rush around making sure the place is up to snuff. That's what you get when you just drop by. Usually our place is pretty clean, but dog toys (and fluff from the toys) are usually scatted around, and there might be some dishes in the sink.

I have that. Years of insomnia makes me worry about being awake all night and worried about rousing everyone else. I keep the TV sound low and use subtitles. Sometimes a biscuit and a drink helps me sleep, I assume it works the same for others.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 05:35:36 PM »
In my heart, I'm a neat/clean freak but I just don't have the energy to do it.  Plus, I'm learning to overcome mild hoarder tendencies.

So as a host and as a guest, I expect:  Clean sheets on the bed, clean towel, hand towel, face cloth, vacuumed floor so it isn't gritty or cat hairy underfoot, clean bathroom - toilet, sink, shower enclosure, the entire place reasonably picked up, even if that is just shoving everything in the 'hoarder' room and shutting that door.

Additionally, when I'm hosting, I do my best to provide the basics - coffee, cream, breakfast fixings, snacks - and I usually have extra toothbrushes on hand and I don't mind if people use my toiletries as I have one of those dispenser things in my shower with shampoo, conditioner, body wash and facial cleanser.  But I don't expect other people to provide these things.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

katycoo

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 06:10:09 PM »

I have that. Years of insomnia makes me worry about being awake all night and worried about rousing everyone else. I keep the TV sound low and use subtitles. Sometimes a biscuit and a drink helps me sleep, I assume it works the same for others.

My guestroom doesn't have a TV at all.  My OWN bedroom doesn't have a TV.  And if you have trouble sleeping and want to read then thats fine, but really I expect you to bring your own book.

Blankets I can do, but again, we don't have fans.  And there's not room for a folding chair, really.  The bag can't go on the floor?  or in the bed while in use?
Why aren't you bringing your own toiletries? You can use mine, but I'm not buying mini-bottles.
And food lives in the kitchen, not the bedrooms.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
As a host, I want any area that my guest to uses to feel as if they were staying in a well cared for and maintained hotel.

So sheets are very fresh smelling and crisp in the bedroom and there is no clutter. Floors are obviously vacuumed and the room has been dusted and no fingerprints on the mirrors and there is space in the closet to hang items. There are comfortable pillows for use and extra blankets set out if they are needed.

In the bathroom, the vanity and sink are clean and no clutter. The bath or shower is very clean with no mildew, hair, or other dirt visible. Soap and shampoo bottles are nicely presented without soap stains or hard water stains. All plumbing fixtures are shiny and clean. The trashcan is empty and the toilet clean. Clean and unstained towels are available for use.

In public areas, the floors are clean, everything has been dusted, and there isn't clutter preventing people from moving around or sitting on furniture or using tables. The kitchen is counters, sink, and appliances are all clean. Glasses are easily accessible as are napkins and paper towels if they were to need them.

123sandy

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »

My guestroom doesn't have a TV at all.  My OWN bedroom doesn't have a TV.  And if you have trouble sleeping and want to read then thats fine, but really I expect you to bring your own book.

Blankets I can do, but again, we don't have fans.  And there's not room for a folding chair, really.  The bag can't go on the floor?  or in the bed while in use?
Why aren't you bringing your own toiletries? You can use mine, but I'm not buying mini-bottles.

My guests are usually flying to my town, it's easier for me to have toiletries than for them to worry about airline rules. Dirty bags on beds? No thanks! No fan when it's hot? Misery!

That's how I make my guests feel welcome, you do how much or little as you want.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 07:14:09 PM »
There's no TV in the guest room but there is one in the rec room so as long as you keep it low, it isn't going to bother me.  The spare bedroom is also my library so if you want something to read, help yourself.  There are even a few books that you would be welcome to take with you when you leave, if you aren't finished.  There is a chair in there for putting your bag on or for sitting while you get dressed.  If you're only there for a night or two, I'm not making room for you on the shelving unit but if it's longer, I'll do that.  There's a night light on the bedside table so you don't have to turn on the bedside one or the overhead one.  There's a night light in the hall outside the washroom and you'll have that washroom to yourself.  You have to share the shower upstairs, though.

I don't provide a fan in the summer; I have A/C and the basement, where my guest room is, is probably cooler than my room upstairs.  I provide a heater in the winter, for the same reason.  And I lied when I said I don't provide a fan; there's a fan option only on the heater.

Oh, and if you don't want feline company?  Keep the door closed.  I don't let them sleep with me so if someone leaves the door open to the spare bedroom, I'm quite sure they'll be checking you out in the middle of the night.  I keep the door closed normally to minimize the cat hair contributions to the decor.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

katycoo

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »

My guests are usually flying to my town, it's easier for me to have toiletries than for them to worry about airline rules. Dirty bags on beds? No thanks! No fan when it's hot? Misery!

That's how I make my guests feel welcome, you do how much or little as you want.

We dont have liquid restrictions on domestic flights here and with people so sensitive to certain products I wouldn't be confident they'd be able to use anything I provided anyway.  I always take my own when I travel and as I said - guests are welcome to share mine.  I guess I just figure if they don't like the idea of sharing they'd bring their own.

Re fan - the house is air conditioned, and we don't find a need for one otherwise.

I am always amused by what bothers different people.  I don't sleep on the top of the doona, and never find my bags particularly dirty.  I often put my bags on the bed to unpack so this wouldn't bother me at all!  Most folding chairs have arms anyway - I wouldn't expect most bags to fit on one.  I do like those folding stands they have at hotels though.

Of course, I want my guests to feel welcome, but I don't think I should be expected to have the same or higher standard than a hotel.  That option is available for them if that's what they expect or want.

SoCalVal

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
I don't expect a lot as far as acceptable levels of hospitality -- just a home that doesn't smell or look like we're at the zoo, which includes having a clean bathroom; DH expects almost nothing and gives everyone else a pass (because he believes we should be grateful for whatever someone provides).  DH has a friend who we once went to visit when they had their own home.  Friend and Wife invited us to stay over, and DH was all for the idea.  I told DH I really wanted to get home that night (which I did) but told him on our way home that I really didn't want to stay over at a house that was that messy (there was an animal cage kept in the windowless bathroom; the bathroom air was thick with the smells of the uncleaned cage -- it was a bit like visiting the cage enclosures at the zoo).  Their living room was also piled high with papers and books, including on the couch.  With four able-bodied homeschooled children ages 9-17 at the time and a SAHM, I didn't understand why they didn't get their house more in order for our scheduled visit.  DH understood my feelings, which baffled me even more that he'd even entertain the idea of staying.  I didn't want to lay my head on a surface that I was unsure of as far as cleanliness.  I didn't want to visit their home again after that -- it was a little far to make a day trip to see them, and I definitely was not going to spend the night there.

For our own guests -- well, we've only had overnight guests, together, once, and that was my family.  We had rooms, beds, clean bedding, fresh towels, food and beverages for everyone.  We also had a freshly-cleaned bathroom.  I'm really not keen on just anyone being our guests because I feel that people who can't be bothered to keep their own house in order (at least for guests to visit) are going to do a poor job of keeping up after themselves when staying at someone else's house (a major concern of mine if DH lets Friend and family stay at our house).  However, there was a bad host moment when DH, not thinking about what he was doing, decided that burning a lot of junk mail, instead of wood, was a great idea.  DH generated a great deal of ash in the air and heard everyone coughing (being too polite to ask that the fire be put out).  DH later said (to me) he had always felt bad about it, and I never understood why he just didn't put out his stupid junk-mail fire (I didn't know about everyone coughing).  In any case, I'm sure it'll never happen again (because I'll be watching out for that).

Hopefull

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
So what does everyone consider the minimum standard of cleanliness that etiquette requires a host provide to their guests?

If I am just by for a visit I would expect the floor to be clean from dirt/ garbage. Toys or a bit of clutter doesn't bother me. Of course that is if my youngest is with me. She tends to put anything she can into her mouth. I have a dear friend who is a bit of a hoarder. I will go to her house without my kids but will only stay a little while. I also wouldn't eat at her house. As much as I love her it just isn't clean there.

If I am staying overnight I would expect clean linens and clean blankets. They don't have to be freshly laundered but clean. A clean bathroom to use and clean living areas.

Clean to me doesn't have to be sparkling or hospital sanitized. As long as there isn't trash everywhere, animal poo, or excessive dirt I am good.
“I felt this thrill going up my leg!”