Author Topic: S/O LadyL's Houseguest Thread  (Read 4240 times)

SoCalVal

Re: S/O LadyL's Houseguest Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
I don't expect a lot as far as acceptable levels of hospitality -- just a home that doesn't smell or look like we're at the zoo, which includes having a clean bathroom; DH expects almost nothing and gives everyone else a pass (because he believes we should be grateful for whatever someone provides).  DH has a friend who we once went to visit when they had their own home.  Friend and Wife invited us to stay over, and DH was all for the idea.  I told DH I really wanted to get home that night (which I did) but told him on our way home that I really didn't want to stay over at a house that was that messy (there was an animal cage kept in the windowless bathroom; the bathroom air was thick with the smells of the uncleaned cage -- it was a bit like visiting the cage enclosures at the zoo).  Their living room was also piled high with papers and books, including on the couch.  With four able-bodied homeschooled children ages 9-17 at the time and a SAHM, I didn't understand why they didn't get their house more in order for our scheduled visit.  DH understood my feelings, which baffled me even more that he'd even entertain the idea of staying.  I didn't want to lay my head on a surface that I was unsure of as far as cleanliness.  I didn't want to visit their home again after that -- it was a little far to make a day trip to see them, and I definitely was not going to spend the night there.

For our own guests -- well, we've only had overnight guests, together, once, and that was my family.  We had rooms, beds, clean bedding, fresh towels, food and beverages for everyone.  We also had a freshly-cleaned bathroom.  I'm really not keen on just anyone being our guests because I feel that people who can't be bothered to keep their own house in order (at least for guests to visit) are going to do a poor job of keeping up after themselves when staying at someone else's house (a major concern of mine if DH lets Friend and family stay at our house).  However, there was a bad host moment when DH, not thinking about what he was doing, decided that burning a lot of junk mail, instead of wood, was a great idea.  DH generated a great deal of ash in the air and heard everyone coughing (being too polite to ask that the fire be put out).  DH later said (to me) he had always felt bad about it, and I never understood why he just didn't put out his stupid junk-mail fire (I didn't know about everyone coughing).  In any case, I'm sure it'll never happen again (because I'll be watching out for that).

Hopefull

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
So what does everyone consider the minimum standard of cleanliness that etiquette requires a host provide to their guests?

If I am just by for a visit I would expect the floor to be clean from dirt/ garbage. Toys or a bit of clutter doesn't bother me. Of course that is if my youngest is with me. She tends to put anything she can into her mouth. I have a dear friend who is a bit of a hoarder. I will go to her house without my kids but will only stay a little while. I also wouldn't eat at her house. As much as I love her it just isn't clean there.

If I am staying overnight I would expect clean linens and clean blankets. They don't have to be freshly laundered but clean. A clean bathroom to use and clean living areas.

Clean to me doesn't have to be sparkling or hospital sanitized. As long as there isn't trash everywhere, animal poo, or excessive dirt I am good.
I felt this thrill going up my leg!

Allyson

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »
(obviously my own personal standards)

My standards are not that high for when I'm visiting, but that doesn't mean they've always been met either, so.... Clutter is fine, dirt isn't. Smells are really not cool. I understand that pet smell happens but I have friends whose place always smells like kitty litter and it's just not pleasant. I would think nothing at all of old mail on the hall table, or books lying around, but no food mess outside the kitchen. The kitchen doesn't need to be spotless or free of dishes, but not huge piles of dishes or really obvious mess. No human hair in the bathroom! I don't care if people have extra bottles cluttering up the bathroom sink but at least wipe it out before guests come over...

I'd love to be one of those people with a spotless house but it just doesn't happen, so I'm not going to judge others for it either. But anything smelly or dirty really should be cleaned before people come over.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 02:50:45 AM »
I previously lived by myself, but cleaned every week. My theory has always been, clean enough that I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone stopped by unannounced. That means even if no one came by, it was still vacuumed, dusted, bathrooms clean and clutter put away. My pet peeve is dirty dishes in the sink, especially since I have a dish washer. There is no need for that.

My guest room is always made up.

As for a previous post I made this last week about having a roommate suddenly, it has been a dream. She has kept the place spotless as she is a cleaning fanatic. She says it's therapy for her. I don't know what to do with myself now on my days off except laundry! I think I am going to start some projects that I've had on hold for a while!  :)

MindsEye

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »
My personal bellwether is the kitchen.  It must be clean.  Debris on the counter, food spills in the fridge and on the stove, pile of dirty dishes in the sink, sticky floors?  No.  I am not going to be comfortable staying someplace with a filthy kitchen, and I am certainly not going to eat anything that came out of said filthy kitchen. 

And I say that the kitchen is the bellwether because if you (general) are comfortable with filth where you prep and eat food, then I highly doubt that your bathrooms are sparkly and the sheets on your guest bed are clean.

For myself, I have a cleaning rota where every room is cleaned (dusted, vacuumed, etc) once a week, but I do one room a day so that the chores don't lie too heavily on the weekends.  The only exception to this is the kitchen, which gets cleaned daily.  I don't tend to get surprise drop-in guests, but if I ever do, I am ready for them.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
O/T, but I see many agree with me about the kitchen.

We had a scheduled viewing of a house with our real estate agent. We get to the house and there are three children in various states of dress and laundry piled several feet high on the couch. Behind the couch? At least 6 pots and pans with various other dishes stacked. Insects galore.  :o

We didn't go any farther into the house.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
It doesn't matter to me if the house isn't spotless if I'm the guest (as long as there are clean sheets, the bathroom isn't totally grody, and it doesn't stink of cat litter) but I want my place spotless if people visit ME.

LadyL

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
My basic requirements as a guest are clean sheets, no major allergens (i.e. layers of pet hair or lots of dust bunnies), basic temperature control, access to coffee, and a clean bathroom.

The bathroom is a big one because that's where I get ready in the morning and if I'm too busy going "eww what is that?" over mold buildup I'm guaranteed to be in a bad mood. Very little grosses me out, but bathroom ick is an exception.

When we have guests, they stay in our living room on the couch or air bed. I make sure we have vacuumed, done at least light dusting, cleaned the bathroom recently, have fresh towels, and that the kitchen is reasonably tidy (i.e. no spills/crumbs, there might be a small pile of mail or something but generally a neat and clean environment). We also make sure to have a variety of beverages and snack food.

No complaints so far!

Lula

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »
I think the spotless, magazine-perfect home might be becoming a thing of a bygone era when just about every family had either a full-time stay-at-home mom and/or a housekeeper/maid, and people had much less STUFF in their houses (before modern materials, materials and manufacturing methods made products less expensive).

That said, if someone invites me to his or her house, I would hope the place is sanitary and free of trash/dirt/gross things.  I don't mind clutter as long as there is space for everyone to move and sit.