Author Topic: Visiting London in March - what to bring?  (Read 2572 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Visiting London in March - what to bring?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »
I was in London in October.  It rains alot in London, so make sure whatever outdoor coat you bring is wind and waterproof and has a hood. I got a nice light jacket at Herberger's, yet it was really warm and repelled the wind and rain.   If you can pack a small, compact umbrella, one that would fit in your briefcase or carry on, that will be helpful.  I know many hotels have umbrellas for guests to use.

sunnygirl

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 01:18:45 AM »
If you find while you're here that you don't have something, or you just want to check out cheap, typically British kind of trendy clothes, pop into a branch of Primark (insanely cheap) or Top Shop (more expensive but v fashion).

Btw this is an example of the hipster onesie:

Frog24

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 03:03:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I live on the west coast of Canada, so it's definitely "casual casual" among my work and social engagements. The first time I wore a jacket and heels to work, my boss turned around, saw my outfit and asked if I was interviewing for a job somewhere else.  (he's an awesome boss!)  I want to make sure I'm not under dressed for evenings out. 

I remember Skyping once with my sister and her fiance, and they were showing me the purchases of their latest shopping excursion.  He held up a suit jacket, and I said: "oh, is that for work?"  The look of horror on their faces was priceless as he said: "Goodness no!  I wear a suit and tie to work.  This is a casual blazer for the weekends."  I immediately knew I'd be out of my league (fashion-wise) in England.  :-[ :P

If anyone else has more advice, keep it coming!  It's wonderful to read.

Frog

English1

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:40 AM »
'This is a casual blazer for the weekends'

Hmmm - how old are they? the only men I see wearing blazers are the 70+ group...and it still isn't 'required.'

Teenyweeny

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 07:04:43 AM »
White trainers just scream american tourist. Ditto baseball caps (unless you're young and clearly going for the hiphop look, an older person in a baseball cap looks like a tourist), fleecy jumpers and raincoats also look touristy.

Nothing wrong with looking touristy, but if you want to blend in, I'd wear slim jeans (not 'mom jeans', they look super american), dark shoes (flats or flat boots are totally fine), and casual top with a cardigan for warmth  is fine.  Dreses and leggings/thick tights are fine too.

Layers are seconded, and bring an umbrella!

sunnygirl

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »
White trainers just scream american tourist. Ditto baseball caps (unless you're young and clearly going for the hiphop look, an older person in a baseball cap looks like a tourist), fleecy jumpers and raincoats also look touristy.
Or celebrities trying not to be recognised!

*Very much a joke, do not try this at home!

Anniissa

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »
'This is a casual blazer for the weekends'

Hmmm - how old are they? the only men I see wearing blazers are the 70+ group...and it still isn't 'required.'

Definitely not required (and "blazer" brings on all sorts of images of old school striped jackets) but I tend to see a lot of guys out at weekends wearing a casual jacket with jeans. Definitely not suit jacket style but a looser less tailored more casual style in wool or moleskine or linen. The hipsters seem quite fond of the old style tweed jackets (when they're not wearing a tight cardi...). I'd say most of them are in their late 20s and 30s. I guess it depends on the area.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 07:31:50 AM »
Haha, I am all about tight cardis and blazers.

The difference is, you put them with a casual top and jeans, or it looks too Sloaney. Look at Stella McCartney:

Teenyweeny

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
Or Kate:

I'd wear something like that somewhere 'nice', or add a warmer scarf and ankle boots for sightseeing, if it was warm enough to go without a proper coat.

saki

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
I'd echo the "make sure you have layers" point made by others - it can be really warm in March, it can be freezing, it rains a fair bit.

I work in Westminster so I see tourists all the time and the things that make them stick out - especially the Americans - are trainers (as in white obviously sports shoes) and baggy jeans/sweatpants.  But, if that's what you'd prefer to wear, I wouldn't change just to fit in - only the very high-end restaurants will care.  If you do want not to stick out, I'd suggest more fitted jeans (not necessarily super tight, just fitted) and shoes that are flat and comfortable but still leather/leather-type.  E.g. these are the shoes I usually wear at the weekends to go out and about - http://www.hottershoes.com/en/Women/Last-Chance/Shoes/83451_shout-shoes - they're flat and comfy but still look smart enough.

On another note, the week or so before you come, it's worth checking out the Londonist - http://londonist.com/ - it's a really useful site with things to do in London, picks up some more unusual stuff (in my opinion) than Timeout (which is also worth picking up - the magazine is free and handed out on Tuesdays at most tube stations.)

Arila

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »
I agree with pretty much all of the previous posters.

I will second the idea of having something to wear that is waterproofresistant. There was some form of precipitation nearly every day, and if you're waiting out a passing shower instead of getting out there, you'll never get anything done, and an umbrella is not only cumbersome, but blocks your view.

I wore boot cut jeans with fairly fitted waist, brown dr martens boots, and layered sweaters with a thick cotton coat (from Old Navy) for pretty much all of my time there. The coat wasn't actually water proof, but the rain never made it all the way through to my skin (it doesn't seem to rain HARD there very much) I never felt out of place. I would worry less about the sweaters, most people will be seeing you in the outer wear.

I had one knee length knit dress, flats, wide belt and panty hose (I never saw people go bare-legged, not sure if it's a temperature thing or not) for the wedding we were attending, and also for nicer dinners.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »
Be careful with your phone. International roaming charges are insane. I bought a local SIM card for my phone whilst I was there. If it's an iPhone you have to 'break' it first. You can find instructions for breaking an iPhone online. This essentially means breaking the grip Apple and your provider has on the phone, rather than rendering the phone unusable by dropping it. You cannot put a new SIM card into an unbroken phone. Of course if you do this, you'll have to inform friends and family what your new phone number is for the duration of your trip.

Victoria

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
As for phones, if you use yours as a camera, be extra careful not to lose it/have it pickpocketed.  DH and DS went last year, and 10 percent of the group got pickpocketed of their I phones. 

Anyway, depending on how long you will be gone, take only a small suitcase and a matching wardrobe with interchangeable items and layers. 

Buy postcards- taken without crowds in the way and better angles you just cannot get. 

Break in your shoes well beforehand. 

Have fun!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

saki

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »
Also, just as a random thing I tell all tourists who visit London - if you want to spend ages taking photos of yourself in front of Big Ben/the Houses of Parliament, I strongly recommend that you do it from Lambeth Bridge.  The view isn't quite as good as from Westminster Bridge but it's still very good and it's a much, much quieter bridge.  Westminster Bridge is so heaving with tourists (not that I'm bitter because I have to walk across it all the time) that it will take you ages to take your pictures as people just have to walk through your shots in order to get anywhere at all.

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
As for phones, if you use yours as a camera, be extra careful not to lose it/have it pickpocketed.  DH and DS went last year, and 10 percent of the group got pickpocketed of their I phones.   

This is a good point. Prevailing advice by the police is don't whip out your phone as soon as you get out of the tube station or a building, because you'll be a target for thieves. They'll see you using your phone and grab it, then run/cycle off.