Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 14220 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
You're not supposed to wash your hair every day?
OK, that's another one I've never heard of. Why the heck not? I've been doing it pretty much since I was old enough to take my own shower (without my mother bathing me). And my hair is soft and silky. But yeah, I don't blow dry or treat it in any way. I wash it nightly (after doing my treadmill) and that's it. (Once, no repeat.)

Supposedly it easier to style and you don't dry it out.

But I wash my hair just about every morning and I do blow dry it just about every day unless I'm being lazy. I've tried switching to every other day and even attempted the shampooless process. Nope, my head feels greasy half way through the second day and I want to take another shower.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I used to be a 6 times a week shampooer, only giving it one day off.  I'm 3 times a week, 4 at the most now.  And it has made a difference in how my hair looks and feels.  I still shower 6 days a week and use conditioner, even if I haven't washed my hair.  Like you, I do feel a bit greasy on that second day but it looks fine so I'm going with it because my hair feels so much better.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

I don't make my bed. Well, very rarely. I grew up having to do it each and every day, complete with bedspread. I hated doing it, so now I rebel and don't. I will if I'm having company, so as not too appear too slovenly, but just for me, nope.

My long lost sister!  The only time my bed gets made is when I change the sheets.  I don't even make it for company because I keep the door closed.

\

My kind of people.   :D  Now, I do straighten the bedclothes in the morning, but that is more to minimize the amount of cat hair left on the pillowcase, and maximize the amount of cat hair left on the old sheet that covers the bed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I have not worn pantyhose in over a decade. I wear skirts and keep my legs presentably shaved.

I have never intentionally tanned.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I used to be a 6 times a week shampooer, only giving it one day off.  I'm 3 times a week, 4 at the most now.  And it has made a difference in how my hair looks and feels.  I still shower 6 days a week and use conditioner, even if I haven't washed my hair.  Like you, I do feel a bit greasy on that second day but it looks fine so I'm going with it because my hair feels so much better.

I used to wash mine every day, when it was short, because its wavy, and it looked like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket! Mine also is getting dryer, due to weather, and according to my stylist "you're getting more gray" He and I joke around since I'm only about 6 months older than he is.  So I wash it maybe 2-3 times a week now.

I also don't shave my legs. Except in the summer. I am single, and I have very dry sensitive skin, and peach fuzz, so blonde you can't see it. So in the winter I let it go, unless I ahve a dr. appt or something else where someone else will see and touch them!  SUmmer, maybe once a week.But other than that, nope. Saves on the cost of razor blades too!

I hate pantyhose too, and wear pants most of the time. I also almost never wear any kind of "foundation garment' unless I really need too. I know people who wear them every day, but they make me sweat.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
I've actually never understood the philosophy behind making up a bed except for if it needs to be presentable for guests. I mean, DH & I are the only ones who ever see it and if we don't care that it's not made, then why bother? It's not like making it refreshes or cleans it somehow. It's still gonna be the same ol' bed & sheets & blankets when we crawl in tonight whether the bed was made this morning or not.

As a follower of FlyLady and UnF-bombYourHabitat, I've become a devoted bed-maker. The principle is that a 60-second bed-straightening:

Sets me up with one successful habit, leading to more success in housekeeping
Makes the bedroom look peaceful, providing me with a refuge
Each night, I get into a made bed, ending my day on a note of success
Stops me from losing socks, phones, and other small items on it.
Is already made if we have company, so it's one less thing to fuss about.

UnF-bombYourHabitat had a riff on dishes recently.
"Why should I do the dishes? They're just going to get dirty again!"
"Because the point is not to own clean dishes. The point is that when you want to eat, clean dishes are at hand."

Bedmaking is also a bonding experience for The Sweetie and me. She gets up earlier than me, so when she wakes me, she says, "Get up! Let's make the bed pretty!" 
We both think it's funny that former slobs like us now love having the bed made.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:50:10 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

lowspark

Ah yes. I get that. It makes sense because it makes you and your partner happy. My point is that my DH & I just don't care so it would actually make me less than happy doing a chore which held no meaning for either of us.

It's not like dishes in that I wouldn't want to eat off a dirty plate but I have no problem sleeping in an unmade bed.

But ya, you know, we all do some stuff that works for us but not for others. Whatever makes you happy!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I do the kitchen thing; I am so much happier when I get up in the am, stumble out to make my coffee, and my sink is empty, and counters clean and neat.

The bed however, doesn't bother me. And I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I never toss stuff on the bed so that part isn't really a concern for me.  What I've been doing lately that makes a huge difference is that I put my dingdangity dirty dishes in the dingdangity dishwasher.  For years, I've just put them in the sink or on the counter and not loaded the dishwasher until it looked like there was enough to run it.  Drove myself nuts.  It has been so nice the last couple of weeks to have clear counters in the kitchen!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rose red

• Super Hero!
I'm kind of a neat freak, but I don't bother to made my bed.  I also have stacks of books around my bedroom instead of neatly in shelves.  So everything else is neat and clean except for my unmade bed and stacks of books.

Lynn2000

I do like the way the bed looks when it's made. But not enough to actually make it every day. I used to be more strict about it when the bed was easier to make. But in my current apartment the bedroom furniture is built-in and the sides of the bed are hard to access, so getting things nice and straight is much more of a chore.

I've given up on dusting. Every once in a while I will notice something and feel like dusting off that thing. But I dust and then things get dusty again, even though I haven't used them. Actually, because I haven't used them, I suppose. So I don't dust anymore. I'm not allergic to dust (I have a friend who is, but we don't hang out at my house). Drives my mom crazy. I clean things, like the toilet, bathroom sink, bathtub; but I don't dust things, like the bookshelves, top of the fridge and microwave, window blinds.
~Lynn2000

Mikayla

I do the kitchen thing; I am so much happier when I get up in the am, stumble out to make my coffee, and my sink is empty, and counters clean and neat.

The bed however, doesn't bother me. And I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

I'm the same way, except the whole bedroom looks like a bomb went off in it.  In fact, I got broken into once and when I called my brother all upset, I remember telling him that they had trashed my bedroom.  He immediately responded "how can you tell"?  I cracked up.

My kitchen, however, is always spotless.

Bobbie

I don't shave my legs anymore.  After I had my kids I lost the hair on my legs and most of my arms.

My babies slept with me because I nursed for 5 years (3 kids, took  two weeks off in between the weaning and the birth of the next baby).

I don't wear or own any make up or nail polish.

I sleep with my glasses on because my eyesight is so bad that when I wake up I can't see my glasses plus when the kids were little and woke up before me they would play with my glasses.  It became habit.

I don't use pjs just old shorts and worn out t-shirts.  I wear my foundation garments  ;) to bed because it more comfortable for me.

I prefer talk to text because  nuances and sarcasm are hard to pick up in texts.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I've recently started making my bed right after my shower, because I do like how the bedroom looks with it, but mainly because I can't stand to go to bed with the blankets all tangled.  My husband couldn't care less, and would probably never make the bed if it were up to him.  But I like to sleep with the sheets and blankets all neat.  So I'd always end up basically making it at night before I went to bed.  Which was silly, because if I'm going to have to go to the effort to fix it anyway, why not do it in the morning and enjoy it all day?  So I'm trying to get into the habit.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
I've recently started making my bed right after my shower, because I do like how the bedroom looks with it, but mainly because I can't stand to go to bed with the blankets all tangled.  My husband couldn't care less, and would probably never make the bed if it were up to him.  But I like to sleep with the sheets and blankets all neat.  So I'd always end up basically making it at night before I went to bed.  Which was silly, because if I'm going to have to go to the effort to fix it anyway, why not do it in the morning and enjoy it all day?  So I'm trying to get into the habit.

"Get up! Make bed pretty!"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)