Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 15105 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Oh, and I no longer follow the whole "feed the baby one new food at a time for a week, pureed, so that you can watch for allergies."  We have no food allergies in our family, so after a couple of weeks of homemade baby food so they can get used to eating solids, I just give them whatever seems soft enough of what we're having for dinner.  I have fed a 6-month-old Singapore rice noodles with shrimp, and pizza.  I find that my two youngest kids (who were fed this way) are much more likely to try new things and are generally less picky than my older two, who were fed closer to the "one food at a time" method.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
I also let things cool a bit before putting in the fridge.

This actually is conventional wisdom. Because putting something warm in the fridge doesn't cool it off faster, but it -does- warm up the rest of your fridge/freezer.

I've recently started making my bed right after my shower, because I do like how the bedroom looks with it, but mainly because I can't stand to go to bed with the blankets all tangled.  My husband couldn't care less, and would probably never make the bed if it were up to him.  But I like to sleep with the sheets and blankets all neat.  So I'd always end up basically making it at night before I went to bed.  Which was silly, because if I'm going to have to go to the effort to fix it anyway, why not do it in the morning and enjoy it all day?  So I'm trying to get into the habit.

This is why I started making the bed after decades and decades of willfully deciding I wasn't going to do it.

I would use the bed to fold clothes, so I'd make it before tackling the task. Then I started to enjoy how it looked, the calmness. And I thought, "Why not do this first thing, and then I'll have that 'working space' available all day, plus I'll have that calm feeling."

Luci

• Super Hero!
Oh, and I no longer follow the whole "feed the baby one new food at a time for a week, pureed, so that you can watch for allergies."  We have no food allergies in our family, so after a couple of weeks of homemade baby food so they can get used to eating solids, I just give them whatever seems soft enough of what we're having for dinner.  I have fed a 6-month-old Singapore rice noodles with shrimp, and pizza.  I find that my two youngest kids (who were fed this way) are much more likely to try new things and are generally less picky than my older two, who were fed closer to the "one food at a time" method.

Of course when I had babies ('69, '71), the rules weren't quite so stringent. Just feed the kid, if something weird happens, dial back and do one thing a week. Most kids are fine, so you are going with the idea that the kid is fine - as most are. I'm now afraid of nut allergies - boy! do I have respect for that! Otherwise, just go for it.

I get up and straighten the bed even in the middle of the night if I am sick or restless or otherwise messed up  :), to be more comfortable. An unmade bed is clutter during the day - which I can't stand. Now making the bed is fluffing the pillows and straightening the sheet and spead.  The kids: older child was taught to make the bed, younger just ignored the whole thing, but I think we raised them the same way.

BeagleMommy

Add me to the list of people who don't make the bed.  I only do that when I change the sheets.

If I didn't wash my hair every day I'd look like someone had coated my head in Vaseline.  That's not a good look on me.

BigBadBetty

Add me to the list of people who don't make the bed.  I only do that when I change the sheets.

If I didn't wash my hair every day I'd look like someone had coated my head in Vaseline.  That's not a good look on me.

I don't make the bed either. I tried not washing my every day. I stuck it out for a while because I kept reading of all these wonderful things that happened to other people. The advice was just wait...your scalp will realize it isn't getting washed and will stop making so much oil. Instead, my scalp said you aren't washing me so let me make more oil so you will get the hint to wash me. My hair was so disgusting.

KarenK

I wash my hair every day, but mostly because I am physically and mentally incapable of taking a shower and not washing my hair.  And I have to take a shower every morning, even if for some reason, I had taken one the night before. However, I never rinse and repeat. I'm not sure anyone does.

I make my bed, but I didn't for years. I had to start doing it because our cats started barfing on the bed. So I not only make it, I cover it my pretty comforter with random blankets and afghans. Much easier than washing the bedding all the time.

I eat raw dough and batter. Brownie batter is my favorite.

magicdomino

I make my bed, but I didn't for years. I had to start doing it because our cats started barfing on the bed. So I not only make it, I cover it my pretty comforter with random blankets and afghans. Much easier than washing the bedding all the time.

I stopped using anything that wasn't easy to wash for precisely that reason.  Currently, the top layer is an old sheet, because when Koa was having major allergy problems, she sometimes bled a bit.  The sheet is easy to wash, I don't care if it stains, and as a bonus, it's very easy to remove cat hair with a pet hair sweeper.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
You're not supposed to wash your hair every day?
OK, that's another one I've never heard of. Why the heck not? I've been doing it pretty much since I was old enough to take my own shower (without my mother bathing me). And my hair is soft and silky. But yeah, I don't blow dry or treat it in any way. I wash it nightly (after doing my treadmill) and that's it. (Once, no repeat.)

Supposedly it easier to style and you don't dry it out.

But I wash my hair just about every morning and I do blow dry it just about every day unless I'm being lazy. I've tried switching to every other day and even attempted the shampooless process. Nope, my head feels greasy half way through the second day and I want to take another shower.

Even for people who can make less frequent hair washing work, there's an adjustment period. I used to wash my hair every day, and switched to every other day in self defense of my skin when I spent a semester abroad in Ireland (it was so much colder and drier than what I was used to that my rather-dry-anyway skin actually couldn't handle daily showers). My hair was a little greasy on day 2 for about a month, and then my scalp stopped producing so much oil and my hair stopped looking and feeling different on day 2. At the time, I'd have stuck with my every other day showers even if my hair had continued to be a hot mess, just because it was better than skin so dry it had lost elasticity.

I had another adjustment when I stopped using shampoo with sulfates, and again when I started stretching how long I could go without washing my hair, although I don't think either was quite as dramatic as that first one.

I've also just learned to be slightly less sensitive to extra oil that I know is there, but that other people don't notice. I've always been hypersensitive about that, because I have blond hair and extra oil makes my hair look darker. Part of my adjustment period was convincing myself that, no, other people did not actually have the ability to notice minute changes to the shade of my hair that even I had to scrutinize my reflection to see. :P

I wash my hair every day, but mostly because I am physically and mentally incapable of taking a shower and not washing my hair.  And I have to take a shower every morning, even if for some reason, I had taken one the night before. However, I never rinse and repeat. I'm not sure anyone does.

I shower every day, because I go to the gym every day. Instead of actually washing my hair, I just scrub my scalp with my fingers under the running water, and put (my equivalent of) conditioner on the ends to detangle. It still feels like washing my hair, there's just no soap involved. I don't like showering while trying to keep my hair dry, and my hair tangles easily and turns into a mess if I just get it wet without doing anything else. But using just manual scrubbing, water, and conditioner gets it clean and nice looking enough that I don't think anyone could tell you which days I actually wash my hair.

* I don't really "wash" or "condition" my hair as such, because I have been using the baking-soda-and-apple-cider-vinegar method for a long time now. Only I thicken both with guar gum these days (and add chamomile and other herbs to the vinegar), so they both function a lot more like standard shampoo and conditioner, in the sense that they are the right consistency to squeeze out of a bottle into my hand and then apply to my hair/scalp.

Hillia

I have to wash my hair everyday; it's a greasebomb after about 12 hours.  My son the cosmetologist tried to get me on the every-other-day bandwagon, but after seeing me after one day, he backed off.

I would love to make the bed every day because I do like the way it looks and the sense of calm and accomplishment it brings, but DH gets up later than I do, and once I'm out of the bedroom I don't seem to get back in to make it up.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SiotehCat

I wash my hair once a week. Used to do once a day, but slowly started stretching the time between washings. My hair has never looks or felt so good. I love it and I could never go back to daily washing.

GlitterIsMyDrug

When I was a baby my mother was trying to follow all the rules on feeding a baby. Including, one at a time pureed, mostly because she was very young (a teenager), so decided she'd trust the experts. My grandma came from a very different school of thought and took to give me whatever it seemed I could handle. Eventually mom gave up and let me eat whatever we ate that was soft enough. And well...I'll eat anything so long as it isn't still moving.

GlitterIsMyDrug

I'm told to wash my hair at most, every other day, because I have curly hair and lots of it. If I do that, by day the second day, my hair has that "wet, grunge look" that was popular in the early 90s. Lots of curly hair, yes, but very fine as well. So not wash daily shows the grease.

Partner gets away with every other day (or every three days) and it makes her hair look awesome. Lots of very thick curly hair. I'm a bit jealous because sometimes she'll go get a blow out and it'll last for days and she won't have to fix her hair...on the other hand I do love scrubbing my head...feels good.

GlitterIsMyDrug

I will eat raw egg products, such as batter and dough, and sashimi but not meat thawed on a counter.

My 15 year old hasn't had a parent imposed bed time in over a year. He knows when he is tired and knows when he has to get up, so he's got that covered.

I eat raw batter all the time, but thawing meat on a counter feels so odd and wrong to me. Partner does in the sink (the meat) and eats raw batter. She's reckless like that.

I don't actually remember when my mom quit with bedtimes....sometime before junior high. Her theory was, if I went to school overtired a few times, I'd eventually learn to go to bed on time. She was right, I'd put myself to bed every night by no later then 10, and I'd be fine all day.

GlitterIsMyDrug

I wash everything in cold water only. I only use hot water if I'm cleaning up a "doggy accident" or a "sick human accident". And I never add the soap before the clothes, the directions on the bottles say soap first then clothes.

And, my mother yells every time I do it, I eat cooked pasta, without rinsing first. I grew up being told to always rinse, and I do sometimes, but dang it, sometimes I want my pasta now, not after being rinsed! And despite what my mother says, I've never gotten a stomach ache from it.

KimberlyM

I've given up on dusting. Every once in a while I will notice something and feel like dusting off that thing. But I dust and then things get dusty again, even though I haven't used them. Actually, because I haven't used them, I suppose. So I don't dust anymore. I'm not allergic to dust (I have a friend who is, but we don't hang out at my house). Drives my mom crazy. I clean things, like the toilet, bathroom sink, bathtub; but I don't dust things, like the bookshelves, top of the fridge and microwave, window blinds.

I clean, a lot.  Dusting.  Not so much.  My sister in law leave little post it notes with messages around our house every time she visits.  We generally find them within a day or two.  I had my husband move a couple of bookshelves around for me a month or two ago and when he cleared them off we found a post it from his sister stuck on top, covered in TONS of dust and dated August 2010.  Made it more than 3 years without dusting that shelf!

I wash my hair once a week, though I rinse it every day.  I leave in regular conditioner.  I thaw meat on the counter every day.  Leftovers sit on the counter an hour or more before being put up because we all tend to eat at varying times. I machine wash everything, though I use the handwash cycle for bras, I do sort, but only colored (any), whites (which I bleach the heck out of!) and towels (because I dry them on high).