Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 15243 times)

veryfluffy

And, my mother yells every time I do it, I eat cooked pasta, without rinsing first. I grew up being told to always rinse, and I do sometimes, but dang it, sometimes I want my pasta now, not after being rinsed! And despite what my mother says, I've never gotten a stomach ache from it.

That is definitely a new one on me...I have never rinsed pasta after cooking it.

With regards to making the bed, one thing I was always advised is to throw back the covers and let the whole thing air for a couple of hours after you get up, since your body emits about a litre of moisture when you sleep. Unless you expose all this to air and light, the dust mites are going to be very happy campers.

GlitterIsMyDrug

I ready somewhere on line (something someone posted to Facebook so....factual it might not be) that an unmade bed is healthier because it's a deterrent to bed bugs and other such things. Where as a made bed is much more inviting. Sounded like good sound logic to me. Though I do enjoy a made bed. I don't actually enjoy making the bed (especially with my dogs "helping").

Back when I was a single lady, I'd make the bed, and then sleep on top of the covers so that I didn't have to unmake the bed. Now if I try to do that Partner insists that's a level of weird she isn't ok with, and her threshold is pretty high so I don't push it.

menley

And, my mother yells every time I do it, I eat cooked pasta, without rinsing first. I grew up being told to always rinse, and I do sometimes, but dang it, sometimes I want my pasta now, not after being rinsed! And despite what my mother says, I've never gotten a stomach ache from it.

I think this is one of those things that a certain generation were taught without ever being taught why. Both my parents and my husband's parents said that it's a rule to rinse off rice and pasta but when we asked, neither one had any idea why. They were shocked when we googled and found that it was to rinse off the excess starch so that it's not as gummy/sticky. They'd been doing it for over 50 years without thinking!

GlitterIsMyDrug

I think this is one of those things that a certain generation were taught without ever being taught why. Both my parents and my husband's parents said that it's a rule to rinse off rice and pasta but when we asked, neither one had any idea why. They were shocked when we googled and found that it was to rinse off the excess starch so that it's not as gummy/sticky. They'd been doing it for over 50 years without thinking!

My mom always said it was to rinse of excess starch, though I've never done it with rice (though I usually just cook minute rice so...) and according to her the excess starch is what gives you a stomach ache. My theory is that it's actually the fact that I over eat pasta which gives me the stomach ache.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!

My mom always said it was to rinse of excess starch, though I've never done it with rice (though I usually just cook minute rice so...) and according to her the excess starch is what gives you a stomach ache. My theory is that it's actually the fact that I over eat pasta which gives me the stomach ache.

My husband doesn't like his pasta rinsed, because he feels like it cools it down too much.  I can't stand not rinsing it, because it all sticks together and makes it really difficult to scoop out portions for everybody.  So our compromise is that he scoops his out as soon as I dump it in the colander, and then I rinse the rest of it and scoop it out for everybody else.

With the unmade bed letting things air out, what I do is to make my bed after my shower.  That way, the bed airs out a little bit between when I get out of bed and when I finish my shower (I have to take the baby downstairs and set her up with her breakfast, help the littles with opening cereal boxes, etc., then come upstairs and take my shower, brush hair, etc.), so that means it airs for, I don't know, maybe 30-45 minutes?

With the "no poo" concept, I tried it, briefly.  I have wavy hair that tends to be very dry.  When I tried using the baking soda solution to wash my hair, it made it so insanely dry that it (quite literally) squeaked when I tried to brush it.  If I didn't use anything at all in it, it matted, and I couldn't brush through it.  I tried using just conditioner (supposedly conditioner has enough of a cleanser that you can just use it) occasionally, but generally I find just using a regular shampoo/conditioner routine every other day seems to work well enough.  With my hair, I could do it every day or every other, but I like doing it every other because it saves me some time.  I don't generally use a hair dryer, just towel dry it, put in some "curl scrunch," scrunch, and then get lots of cute curls.  :)

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
My Italian family NEVER rinses pasta.  If it gets gummy, it is overcooked.  Also, rinsed pasta (or pasta cooked with Olive oil in the water) won't hold on to the sauce as well.  Cook your pasta with a pinch of salt, stir occasionally while cooking, and no rinsing.  I am a terrible cook, but can make some excellent pasta.
Not such a newbie anymore

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Actually here's one from another thread but it fits here, so throwing it into the ring: I prefer 'Miss'. I don't like being called Ms and if anyone does call me Ms I will correct them because I really dislike it that much. Ms may be technically correct but I can't stand it and I'll never use it. Not accepted wisdom but it works for me :)

Me, too!  I hate the Z sound.

Me too.  It's such a hard and annoying sound -- like bees and wasps and mosquitoes!  Very unfeminine!  Much prefer the softer "s".

Please pass the Calgon

I've recently started making my bed right after my shower, because I do like how the bedroom looks with it, but mainly because I can't stand to go to bed with the blankets all tangled.  My husband couldn't care less, and would probably never make the bed if it were up to him.  But I like to sleep with the sheets and blankets all neat.  So I'd always end up basically making it at night before I went to bed.  Which was silly, because if I'm going to have to go to the effort to fix it anyway, why not do it in the morning and enjoy it all day?  So I'm trying to get into the habit.

The single best way to get in the habit of making your bed? Add a Great Dane to your family :)  Every one I've ever know quickly turns his/her owner's bed into the Dane's bed, and if you don't want fur on the sheets...

Our Willow Jayne trained us well!

Luci

• Super Hero!
Actually here's one from another thread but it fits here, so throwing it into the ring: I prefer 'Miss'. I don't like being called Ms and if anyone does call me Ms I will correct them because I really dislike it that much. Ms may be technically correct but I can't stand it and I'll never use it. Not accepted wisdom but it works for me :)

Me too.  It's such a hard and annoying sound -- like bees and wasps and mosquitoes!  Very unfeminine!  Much prefer the softer "s".

I hate it, but felt comfort in the south  when I was called "Mz Luci". I think it is one of those things from my early childhood that I can't really remember.

When I was 20, I was a Miss D..... and called so by my professors. Somehow they knew I married and became Mrs. M....  I now do respond to mail for Ms. M...., even though it hurts me, because eHell has shown that it is really a proper name for me and I shouldn't be offended.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!

This is perhaps why I have never quite understood the objection to Ms., at least for sound aesthetic reasons. The way I say it, the two titles sound exactly the same, but neither has an actual z sound or an s sound. It's kind of a sound that's halfway in between the two.

Then again, I was also raised in Texas, and I think someone said upthread that most southerners pronounce Miss and Ms. the same way.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
With the "no poo" concept, I tried it, briefly.  I have wavy hair that tends to be very dry.  When I tried using the baking soda solution to wash my hair, it made it so insanely dry that it (quite literally) squeaked when I tried to brush it.  If I didn't use anything at all in it, it matted, and I couldn't brush through it.  I tried using just conditioner (supposedly conditioner has enough of a cleanser that you can just use it) occasionally, but generally I find just using a regular shampoo/conditioner routine every other day seems to work well enough.  With my hair, I could do it every day or every other, but I like doing it every other because it saves me some time.  I don't generally use a hair dryer, just towel dry it, put in some "curl scrunch," scrunch, and then get lots of cute curls.  :)

Obviously, there's no point in fixing something that's not broken, but I had a failed attempt with the baking soda/vinegar hair care routine before I finally figured out how to make it work for me. For one, it's REALLY easy to overdo it on the baking soda. I found success by mixing 1 tablespoon of baking soda with about 1 cup of water, and then using no more than 1/4 of that mixture each time I washed my hair. For another, the vinegar is actually an essential step, although I like that step a whole lot better since I started making a concentrated herbal hair rinse/vinegar mixture thickened with guar gum (since guar gum is "slippery" and makes the mixture behave more like regular conditioner in your hair).

It is a bit of a pain to keep it up, though. It's probably cheaper to make my own hair care products (since I'd otherwise be using sulfate- and silicone-free ones that tend to cost more), but it does take more time!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!

Obviously, there's no point in fixing something that's not broken, but I had a failed attempt with the baking soda/vinegar hair care routine before I finally figured out how to make it work for me. For one, it's REALLY easy to overdo it on the baking soda. I found success by mixing 1 tablespoon of baking soda with about 1 cup of water, and then using no more than 1/4 of that mixture each time I washed my hair. For another, the vinegar is actually an essential step, although I like that step a whole lot better since I started making a concentrated herbal hair rinse/vinegar mixture thickened with guar gum (since guar gum is "slippery" and makes the mixture behave more like regular conditioner in your hair).

It is a bit of a pain to keep it up, though. It's probably cheaper to make my own hair care products (since I'd otherwise be using sulfate- and silicone-free ones that tend to cost more), but it does take more time!

Thanks for the tip!  Maybe I'll give it another try.  I buy a certain shampoo/conditioner because they work better on my hair than all the zillions of others I've tried, but I wouldn't mind not having to spend the money.  My hair is crazy thick and has a tendency to frizz.  Ever see "the Princess Diaries," the "before" hair?  That's my hair, if I'm not very careful.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
After pouring and/or throwing out $$$$ worth of "skin care systems" over the years, I now wash my face with whatever I'm using on the rest of me - or I just rinse it under the shower. I do use face lotion and an occasional apricot scrub, but other than that, my "beauty routine" is non-existent.

I thaw chicken in the fridge and then - shock! horror! - rinse it before I use it. I cannot stand the blood slime that's on it after it thaws. My mom pointed out that she's done this for decades and hasn't killed anyone yet.

Dishes that are only used for measuring, cutting, or storage just get rinsed in hot water - I don't wash them with soap unless they've touched raw meat, raw eggs, or a human mouth.

I wash all of my clothes the same way: warm wash, cold rinse. I sort by dryer temperature. I use those (awesome!) Color Guard sheets when I'm throwing something new into the mix.

I don't fold undies or roll socks unless I'm packing them in a suitcase.

I don't make the bed unless I'm expecting company and I don't tuck in the top sheet unless they're spending the night. I am an active sleeper and I don't rest well when I'm hemmed in.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

That is definitely a new one on me...I have never rinsed pasta after cooking it.

In fact, you're supposed to save some of the pasta cooking water (I scoop it out w/ a glass measuring cup) and stir it back into the pasta after you've drained it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I thaw chicken in the fridge and then - shock! horror! - rinse it before I use it. I cannot stand the blood slime that's on it after it thaws. My mom pointed out that she's done this for decades and hasn't killed anyone yet.

The issue with rinsing poultry isn't with the bird itself; it's the fact that you are now spreading the bacteria further due to splashing, etc.  So as long as you are thorough in your clean-up, it isn't really an issue.  I don't rinse because I'm not confident in the thoroughness of my clean-up.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario