Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 15529 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
I've given up on washing my face with soap almost entirely, and I now wash it with oil. This seems to be becoming more common, if the email ads I get from Sephora are any indication. But my skin is dry enough that cleaning it without stripping away more oil than I can afford to lose is hard to manage. Even soaps advertised as gentle or for dry skin go overboard and leave my skin flaky.

Occasionally, I get lazy and use my bar soap to wash my face, but I always regret doing that if I do it more often than once every few weeks.

I've also stopped washing the majority of my skin with soap. I hit up the areas that produce sweat and/or otherwise produce BO, but I don't wash other areas unless they have actual dirt (in some form) on them. It's the only way I've found to shower off the gym sweat daily without my skin deciding that it hates me. And that's with a pretty strict regimen of putting relatively heavy-duty lotion on all of my skin every single time I shower.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
And, my mother yells every time I do it, I eat cooked pasta, without rinsing first. I grew up being told to always rinse, and I do sometimes, but dang it, sometimes I want my pasta now, not after being rinsed! And despite what my mother says, I've never gotten a stomach ache from it.

That is definitely a new one on me...I have never rinsed pasta after cooking it.

In fact, you're supposed to save some of the pasta cooking water (I scoop it out w/ a glass measuring cup) and stir it back into the pasta after you've drained it.

I've never heard of that.  Doesn't that make the pasta soggy?

I have heard of it for certain sauce recipes, like alfredo, but not just plain pasta.

Mikayla

My Italian family NEVER rinses pasta.  If it gets gummy, it is overcooked.  Also, rinsed pasta (or pasta cooked with Olive oil in the water) won't hold on to the sauce as well. Cook your pasta with a pinch of salt, stir occasionally while cooking, and no rinsing.  I am a terrible cook, but can make some excellent pasta.

I agree, especially the bolded.  Also, I like my pasta very al dente so it never gets gummy.  The consistency of overcooked pasta makes me want to run screaming into the night!

StarFaerie

Except for my underarms (and hands after going to the loo) I don't wash any part of me with soap. I rinse it all in the shower every morning but that's it. I also don't moisturize. My skin isn't oily or dry and certainly isn't dirty either.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Except for my underarms (and hands after going to the loo) I don't wash any part of me with soap. I rinse it all in the shower every morning but that's it. I also don't moisturize. My skin isn't oily or dry and certainly isn't dirty either.

I'm a 'pits and bits' girl, too.  The only time I might use soap elsewhere is if I've been doing something particularly dirty.  Gardening, for example.  I also have this mitt thing that I use that is slightly abrasive and it works well to remove dirt without using soap.

10 months of the year, I don't need moisturizer.  But in really cold, dry weather, I'm starting to need some as I age.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ceallach

• This Is It
Oh, and I no longer follow the whole "feed the baby one new food at a time for a week, pureed, so that you can watch for allergies."  We have no food allergies in our family, so after a couple of weeks of homemade baby food so they can get used to eating solids, I just give them whatever seems soft enough of what we're having for dinner.  I have fed a 6-month-old Singapore rice noodles with shrimp, and pizza.  I find that my two youngest kids (who were fed this way) are much more likely to try new things and are generally less picky than my older two, who were fed closer to the "one food at a time" method.

I do this too!  Every other mother in my mothers group was carefully preparing special purée recipes for their babies, but I had neither the time nor the inclination.  I occasionally gave store bought purée as a snack, but mainly he eats what we eat.  In fact if we attempt to give him something different to us he gets quite confused and tries to steal ours anyway.

From what I've been told by others I'm raising my son more like a 2nd child than a 1st child - very relaxed and doing what works rather than following the rules.  Apparently most people throw out the rule book for number two anyway!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

squeakers

I don't wear a bra 90% of the time even though they (the girls) are quite large.  Sagging and stretch marks  happens whether you wear one or not (you either do or you don't).  I only wear one so as to not offend people who find headlights ghast-worthy.

I co-slept with all 3 boys.  They all transitioned to their own beds by age 2.  They didn't have real bedtimes until they began school and the bedtimes were like 9 PM.  If they wanted more sleep they were welcome to go to bed earlier  :D The 13 year old's bedtime is 11 pm.. but during vacations/holidays he is such a night owl that 5 or 6 AM is what he prefers.  It only takes one or two days of being back in the daily schedule with maybe one "come home from school, eat and crash" for him to get back to 11PM being in bed.

I let my dogs enter the house door before I come in.  Supposedly it lets them think they are the dominant one(s) but for me it makes sense to get them in and out of the way vs making them heel behind me while trying to hold the door so they can come in.  Whether it was the 45lb lab/shar pei (RIP) or the 3 Chihuahuas ... they know who the boss is: Momma!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I don't buy bar soap at all. Liquid soap at every sink, liquid body wash and facial cleanser. I hate the way bar soap leaves residue behind.

metallicafan

My Italian family NEVER rinses pasta.  If it gets gummy, it is overcooked.  Also, rinsed pasta (or pasta cooked with Olive oil in the water) won't hold on to the sauce as well. Cook your pasta with a pinch of salt, stir occasionally while cooking, and no rinsing.  I am a terrible cook, but can make some excellent pasta.

I agree, especially the bolded.  Also, I like my pasta very al dente so it never gets gummy.  The consistency of overcooked pasta makes me want to run screaming into the night!

Yep,  I never rinse my pasta unless I am using it cold for a pasta salad.   Rinsed pasta won't hold onto the sauce as well. As to the pasta cooking water, some chefs say to save it to stir into the sauce in case it's too thick.  I never do, DH and I both like a thicker sauce.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
I add the pasta cooking water because it gets re-absorbed by the pasta, which keeps it from sticking to itself and getting sort of dried out and sticky.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
I add the pasta cooking water because it gets re-absorbed by the pasta, which keeps it from sticking to itself and getting sort of dried out and sticky.

A little olive oil will do the same thing and the pasta won't lose it's al dente texture.

cicero

• Super Hero!
i taste raw cookie dough.

I don't wash fruit (for myself; if it's for others I do). i wipe but don't wash. it's just laziness on my part, no deep moral reason.

I sometimes leave dishes in the sink over night. My poor mom is probably turning over in her grave

I use "whatever moisturizer is on sale" and wash my face with whatever body soap i use. I actually buy these kits every now and then of cleanser/toner, use them two or three times, and go back to my bad ways >:D

We don't fold the laundry. It's just DS and I - and he does the laundry - after years of teaching him to fold everything neatly, he just said "why, mom?". he sorts it into piles and puts them away. it works for us. (don't tell anyone but when we have a busy week we just leave it on the [indoor] line and take things off as needed)

I'm sure there's more.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

A little olive oil will do the same thing and the pasta won't lose it's al dente texture.

Hmm. My pasta doesn't lose its al dente texture. It's not like it keeps cooking; it just absorbs a little bit more water.

katycoo

My husband doesn't like his pasta rinsed, because he feels like it cools it down too much.  I can't stand not rinsing it, because it all sticks together and makes it really difficult to scoop out portions for everybody.  So our compromise is that he scoops his out as soon as I dump it in the colander, and then I rinse the rest of it and scoop it out for everybody else.

When I rinse or refresh pasat (which is very rarely) I rinse it with boiling water from the kettle to avoid this problem.

katycoo

I don't wear a bra 90% of the time even though they (the girls) are quite large.  Sagging and stretch marks  happens whether you wear one or not (you either do or you don't).  I only wear one so as to not offend people who find headlights ghast-worthy.

I co-slept with all 3 boys.  They all transitioned to their own beds by age 2.  They didn't have real bedtimes until they began school and the bedtimes were like 9 PM.  If they wanted more sleep they were welcome to go to bed earlier  :D The 13 year old's bedtime is 11 pm.. but during vacations/holidays he is such a night owl that 5 or 6 AM is what he prefers.  It only takes one or two days of being back in the daily schedule with maybe one "come home from school, eat and crash" for him to get back to 11PM being in bed.

I let my dogs enter the house door before I come in.  Supposedly it lets them think they are the dominant one(s) but for me it makes sense to get them in and out of the way vs making them heel behind me while trying to hold the door so they can come in.  Whether it was the 45lb lab/shar pei (RIP) or the 3 Chihuahuas ... they know who the boss is: Momma!