Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 16351 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Even without being squicked by others having tried clothing on, or being sensitive to residual chemicals that are a normal part of clothing manufacture/shipping, it's very possible for things I don't much want contact with to linger on clothing I buy because other people have tried it on. Deodorant, for example, or perfume.

I might not be squicked out by the idea of other people wearing clothes I'm wearing, but that still doesn't mean I want their deodorant on me or that I want to smell like Eau de Someone Else.

I generally don't wash clothes before I wear them because I'm lazy, but I would wash anything that was visibly less than pristine.

alkira6

I wash all clothes before wearing them after getting a painful rash on the inner thighs from a pair of slacks.

I don't measure when making bread most of the time.  I throw everything together until it looks right.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

There was an Law & Order:SVU episode where a someone died because the clothes they were wearing had been recycled from a funeral home and they were soaked in embalming fluid.

I remember reading in a book, something about medical mysteries, a case where jeans for boys were purchased at a salvage auction, and all that wore them, got very ill, aside from one. The reason they were salvaged, was during shipment, a drum of some liquid had spilled on them, so they were ruined, and sold for cheap. turns out it was some nasty pesticide, and the one boy who didn't get
sick, his mom had washed them first before he wore them.

The book was either volume one or volume two of 'The Medical Detectives'.  These were articles that appeared in the New Yorker magazine between the late 1940s and early 1960s.  Although the medical science involved is way out of date, the stories still make a great read.

Yup. those are them! I got rid of mine last year in my great book purge.

Cherry91

It's mainly because I'm lazy, but the sheer amount of clothes I've tumbled dried countless times before discovering the part of the label that says "DON'T!"

And I've got to admit, if it's survived the drier up until that point, it's likely it'll be seeing the inside of a drier again in time.

(I'm a lot more careful with other people's clothes than my own, I do want to point out)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Someone said
"I have worn new clothes without washing first"

it would never occur to me that new clothes need to be/should be washed before you wear them? 

To borrow a well known Ehell phrase "Why would I want to do that?"

There are fabric finishes from the factory that involve various chemicals - depending on your particular sensitivities - washing them might be required for comfort (makes some people itchy) - other people want the psychological comfort of knowing that the clothes really are CLEAN before they wear them (not just try them on).

And I remember a real case where someone had a drug trip for years because their clothing & suitcase got soaked in some kind of drug concentrate, it dried, and they wore it....and their skin absorbed it.  What I don't remember was if they had any choice in wearing the clothes as they came out of the suit case - hotels forty years ago did not have free guest laundry facilities and dry cleaning takes time & money - if they had a meeting to go to, they may have had to get dressed & GO to it.

And not all chemicals would have left an obvious stain or odor...the only reason it was noticed is that things were slightly damp but dried out overnight....and I remember reading the story in the Readers' Digest - I just don't remember when.  Other than over twenty and probably over thirty years ago.

I remember that one, VorFemme! It was PCP, wasn't it? And he nearly got committed for mental problems and/or arrested for drug use. It kept coming back because it wouldn't come out with normal washing.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Obviously even inexpensive quality clothes in the UK are better quality than in the USA,  as I've never encountered any of those problems, or heard from friends of any such incidents, or read about it in any tabloid newspapers who just love that sort of thing.

I can see the headline now--"Man Wears New Clothes Without Washing--Turns Red in Armpits!"

God, I love The Onion!

daen

I rinse my hair daily, but only use shampoo once a week, and I don't bother with conditioner. I can get away with this because my hair is short; when it was long, I had to condition the ends.

I think, though, that my scalp was oilier when I was a teen and young adult. I recall that after 36 hours my hair looked quite oily, back in high school. And when I went backpacking in Europe, I planned ahead by gradually extending my wash time from 24 hours to 36 to 48. That way, I wouldn't have to wash my hair every day - a good thing if the hostel I was staying that night only had coin-op hot water in the showers.  I took about six weeks to get to the two-days-between-washings point, and the transition gave me some definite bad hair days.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Obviously even inexpensive quality clothes in the UK are better quality than in the USA,  as I've never encountered any of those problems, or heard from friends of any such incidents, or read about it in any tabloid newspapers who just love that sort of thing.

And the only colour run I've ever had was from a pair of red leather shoes, which were no longer new, when my feet got soaked one day.  Not at all surprised.

Obviously, laceandbits is taking a break from the forum.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
I also wash new clothes, sheets, etc. before use, but my mom doesn't--she likes the "new" feeling. Eh, to each their own. I use a scent- and dye-free detergent in the washer, but I don't use anything in the dryer--I don't even really understand the concept of dryer sheets. I rarely have problems with static electricity--only with one skirt which might be wool or wool blend, and then only on very dry days. And, I don't like the smell of fabric softener/dryer sheets, or the way it makes my towels feel funny and absorb less. My dad (who does the laundry at my parents' house) says authoritatively, "It makes your clothes softer!" and I'm like, "Well, my clothes don't really feel... hard, so..."  ???

A little while ago, for a treat, I bought myself some super-luxurious washcloths. They are 820 grams. I don't really care for them. They absorb a lot of water (and become quite heavy!) but I'm not sure why that's considered a plus--maybe if they were towels, super water absorption powers would make sense, but I get a washcloth wet on purpose, to wash my face with. And they're not particularly soft, either.

One that amazed me was that my friend Amy just pureed regular food to feed her two kids. She did introduce new foods carefully, because they have food allergies in her family, but otherwise it was just what she and her DH were having for dinner, but put in the blender. And it wasn't complex recipes with special supplements or anything like that. I kept looking at the aisles and aisles of commercial baby food going, "Isn't there... stuff in the commercial food that babies need? That's not in regular food? Like... baby vitamins?" and she said no. Obviously for some people the commercial food is fine and more convenient, but she found it worth her while to puree regular food and use that instead.
~Lynn2000

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

...Obviously for some people the commercial food is fine and more convenient, but she found it worth her while to puree regular food and use that instead.

Commercial baby food has changed a LOT since my kids were babies. It's actually much better now.  Purer with far fewer "filler" material. 

But mothers have a variety of reasons to make their own.  My youngest one did and among her reasons were:  it's cheaper -- by FAR, and if you puree it right after cooking it, it's already warm!   :)

She stored leftovers in little clear colored Tupperware shot glasses.  Just the right size for a baby just beginning to eat solid foods and could be reheated super fast.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
A friend of mine put her pureed food in ice cube trays and as soon as it was frozen, popped them out into a ziplock for storage.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

squeakers

I fed my first boy baby food.  #2 and 3 just ate regular food. Tiny bits off my finger or letting them suck on a piece of meat that I held firmly.  They were breastfed so really it was more for experimenting with flavor and texture until their teeth came in. And then they ate tiny bits of whatever we were eating.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
i don't bother washing new clothes, but if something smelled even vaguely of someone else's deodorant or such, i wouldn't buy it. (if i can't smell any residual deodorant, i'll assume that the people around me won't either.) but mostly it seems harmless; the one exception i can think of is a dress i bought for a friend's wedding, which has patterns of glitter on the fabric. it's labeled as dry clean only, but the cleaner warned me that actually cleaning it would mean losing some of the glitter, so suggested i try hanging it to air out. that worked (i haven't worn it much, because i don't have much practical use for a dress that style, pretty though it is--another couple of wearings and i probably will test that theory.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Katana_Geldar

We're planning on doing a mixture of both baby food and puréed food, more emphasis on the puréed food than the commercial stuff. DH wants to get this.

http://www.bigw.com.au/baby-kids/feeding/bottle-feeding/bpnBIGW_0000000331925/breville-baby-banquet

But this is more about DH and me, we have very little preprepared food. So why should our baby?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:46:29 PM by Katana_Geldar »

Library Dragon

A friend of mine put her pureed food in ice cube trays and as soon as it was frozen, popped them out into a ziplock for storage.

I used to do this. Freaked MIL out when I was out of baby food on a visit and blended up a can of salt free carrots.  Okay, maybe just surprised her. She'd already been freaked out by that I breast fed, used cloth diapers, and we had a family bed philosophy. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter