Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 14102 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
We let Bittybartfast stay up as late as she wants.  Babybartfast has a bedtime because she has to be off to kindergarten in the morning, but Bittybartfast stays up until she gets sleepy (which she communicates by rattling the baby gate to go upstairs to her room) or she starts fussing.  Sometimes that's nine or ten o'clock.  The nice thing, though, is that she sleeps in until mid-morning.  I do my best writing after midnight - not sure why, but that seems to be how I'm wired - so I stay up late to work most nights.  DH gets Babybartfast off to school early, then leaves for work, then Bittybartfast and I get up a few hours later.  It kind of feels like I'm working second shift, but I'm really glad both my girls are night owls like me!

I don't go to bed early if I'm tired. I know my body well enough to know that I am a night owl, always have been, and constantly fight the desire to stay up until 2 every night. I will get home around 4:20, and anywhere betweeen then and 8-8:30 have a period of being really exhausted. But i get my second wind, and sometimes, as it draws close to my 11-11:30 bedtime, I don't feel tired. But if i read for a bit and relax, I'm usually feeling sleepy enough to go to sleep then.

Every now and then I get into a cycle of staying up until 12-12:30, and while I'm tired the next day, I'm not dead tired, and usually after a few days of that, I'm back to normal.  I hate it when people say "well, if you're tired, why not go to bed?" Beacuse if I do say around 8, I will sleep for a couple or few hours, then we wide awake, and not able to fall back to sleep.

Library Dragon

We let Bittybartfast stay up as late as she wants.  Babybartfast has a bedtime because she has to be off to kindergarten in the morning, but Bittybartfast stays up until she gets sleepy (which she communicates by rattling the baby gate to go upstairs to her room) or she starts fussing.  Sometimes that's nine or ten o'clock.  The nice thing, though, is that she sleeps in until mid-morning.  I do my best writing after midnight - not sure why, but that seems to be how I'm wired - so I stay up late to work most nights.  DH gets Babybartfast off to school early, then leaves for work, then Bittybartfast and I get up a few hours later.  It kind of feels like I'm working second shift, but I'm really glad both my girls are night owls like me!

I don't go to bed early if I'm tired. I know my body well enough to know that I am a night owl, always have been, and constantly fight the desire to stay up until 2 every night. I will get home around 4:20, and anywhere betweeen then and 8-8:30 have a period of being really exhausted. But i get my second wind, and sometimes, as it draws close to my 11-11:30 bedtime, I don't feel tired. But if i read for a bit and relax, I'm usually feeling sleepy enough to go to sleep then.

Every now and then I get into a cycle of staying up until 12-12:30, and while I'm tired the next day, I'm not dead tired, and usually after a few days of that, I'm back to normal.  I hate it when people say "well, if you're tired, why not go to bed?" Beacuse if I do say around 8, I will sleep for a couple or few hours, then we wide awake, and not able to fall back to sleep.

POD to both comments. DSs didn't have bedtimes until they started school.

I will easily be awake until 3am if I'm not careful. A couple days a week I sleep in an extra hour and shift my work schedule. It's actually not bad because I'm around for part of the library's late hours.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

POD to both comments. DSs didn't have bedtimes until they started school.

I will easily be awake until 3am if I'm not careful. A couple days a week I sleep in an extra hour and shift my work schedule. It's actually not bad because I'm around for part of the library's late hours.

I'm also not one to sleep in that late. I need a good couple of hours (if not working or have to be anywhere on weekends or holidays) and actually prefer getting up early, and puttering aroudn with my coffee, playing some candy crush, checking email, etc. in the morning. If I sleep in, i still need a minimum of an hour to get going on all cylinders, and if i sleep until 10, that blows half the day. And since i only get one day off a week, i try not to waste tht much of it.

Lately however, maybe since its winter and dark, I've vound myself "sleeping in" until 8. Which annoys me. But, i figure if I'm that tired that I roll back over and sleep some more, I need it. I'm hoping once we turn the clocks ahead next month, I will go back to getting up around 7ish. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I have always heard people talk about keeping a regular schedule, but I don't and never have in my adult life.
I have worked midnights for several years, I don't any more, but I would sleep when I could and it always worked for me.
Now that I have a 8-5 Monday through Friday job, I stay up late on Friday and Saturday nights and sleep in to 10-11 on Saturday and 9 on Sunday. My sleep needs seem to be aggregate, as one short night a week doesn't throw me off. Two nights of less than 6 hours will make me a crabby person though.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
That's one of those prevailing advice things that is absolutely true for me. I don't keep as regular a sleep schedule as I should, but I pay for it every Sunday night that I don't.

I can get by on a little bit less than 8 hours of sleep a night, but if it's less than 7 for more than one night (or after a few nights of less than 8), I have a horrible time functioning at full capacity. I also sleep much better if I stay at least reasonably close to my normal bedtime and wake up time on weekends. I can fudge it a little (i.e. bedtime at 10:00 instead of 8:30 or 9:00, wake up at 7:00 or 8:00 instead of 5:00), but at some point, it just messes me up.

Naps kind of do the same thing, although I often end up taking them anyway.

GlitterIsMyDrug

I can't function on 8hrs of sleep. It sounds weird, but it's too much sleep for me. My sweet spot is 6.5-7 hours of sleep a night. 6 hours will work for me to, but I need a "power rest" in the afternoon. Less then 6 and I'm a loopy mess. I mean it's kind of fun, but it's not gonna be productive. Partner compares it to a small child on a sugar rush, exciting at first, then kind of wearing, and then you're just praying for the crash.

I call naps "rests" because I don't always fall asleep. But just laying down for a bit seems to help me wake up and get going. I also cannot nap in bed. I must do so on the couch. Dunno why, I'm weird I guess. My mother says I was a terrible napper as a child too. I slept pretty well from the go get, but naps? Good luck. But she could get me to just lay down quietly for a bit if she put on some soft music (Dwight Yokum always worked), but I probably wouldn't sleep.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
That's one of those prevailing advice things that is absolutely true for me. I don't keep as regular a sleep schedule as I should, but I pay for it every Sunday night that I don't.

I can get by on a little bit less than 8 hours of sleep a night, but if it's less than 7 for more than one night (or after a few nights of less than 8), I have a horrible time functioning at full capacity. I also sleep much better if I stay at least reasonably close to my normal bedtime and wake up time on weekends. I can fudge it a little (i.e. bedtime at 10:00 instead of 8:30 or 9:00, wake up at 7:00 or 8:00 instead of 5:00), but at some point, it just messes me up.

Naps kind of do the same thing, although I often end up taking them anyway.

I try and do the same. A couple weekeneds ago, I was up until 1am friday, and 1:30 sat. I still got up about 8ish one day, and 9 the other, but that is unusual for me.

I love me a good nap, but...I only take them if I'm really really really tired. Or I'll set my alarm for 45 mins, and take a short one. That works too. last month I took a half day one friday since work was slow, but it snowed. thwarting my plans to get things done (errands). i went home, thinking oh, i'll just do stuff around the hosue, but was absolutely exhausted, so I took a 1.5 hour nap. It was just waht I needed, and oh so lovely.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I call naps "rests" because I don't always fall asleep. But just laying down for a bit seems to help me wake up and get going. I also cannot nap in bed. I must do so on the couch. Dunno why, I'm weird I guess. My mother says I was a terrible napper as a child too. I slept pretty well from the go get, but naps? Good luck. But she could get me to just lay down quietly for a bit if she put on some soft music (Dwight Yokum always worked), but I probably wouldn't sleep.

If you're weird, so am I.  I don't nap during the week but I will nap on weekends and on vacation, especially if I've been really active.  Usually 30 minutes, tops, just enough to refresh me and get me through the evening.

But if I nap during the week, it keeps me up at night, which makes me tired the next day, which starts this vicious cycle.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lynn2000

Oh, I'm one of those regular sleep schedule people, especially as I've gotten older.  ;D It's kind of disappointing actually, because I'll think, yay, it's Friday/Saturday night! I can stay... up... late... oh, no I can't, I'll get a migraine. Into bed at the regular time.  >:( If I'm feeling really daring I'll stay up an extra half-hour. ::) I'm in bed for at least 9 hours every night. I'm not necessarily asleep that whole time, because sometimes it takes me a bit to fall asleep or I wake up in the middle of the night, but I'm lying in bed with the lights off.

Sometimes I think "prevailing advice" comes across as "You must do this or there's something wrong with you." When in reality it should be, "Does something seem to be wrong with you? Try this, if you aren't already doing it, it helps lots of people."
~Lynn2000

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I debated about posting this, since it deals with bodily functions, but here we go. Mods, feel free to remove if you don't think its appropriate.

Personal bathroom habits. Specifically #2. I had a former BF tell me there was something wrong with me, unless mine was limited to one per day, first thing in the am, like him. Um, ok, but that may work for you, but hey, I do what works for me, and that isn't it, so drop it already!

A second funny story deals with my grandmother. Who was 93 when she fell and broke her hip, and had it surgically replaced. And was on pain meds, which, for lack of a better term, can stop you up. My grandmother was of the school where you had to go once a day, or something was wrong. She was so agitated at the fact her meds wouldn't allow her to follow this, she gave the orthopedic surgeon what for when he came in to check on her hip. Poor man didn't know waht to do!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:15:12 PM by siamesecat2965 »

Katana_Geldar

Since my pregnancy I've found I need naps or rests, but the sleep part I keep deliberately short by having the tv on so I don't fall completely asleep and can still sleep at night.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
You don't find feeding them attracts rats?

In my area it's squirrels.  ;D They've gotten quite clever at getting things out of bird feeders. But I pretty much never see a rat.

Yup.  I get squirrels, too.  So I have a squirrel proof feeder.  The perches are spring loaded so the weight of a squirrel closes off the ports where the seed comes out.  It is quite amusing to watch them trying to figure out how to get the seed.
I have one of those, and over the years, the springs stretched out so much that even the weight of the tiny birds was closing off the ports.  DH put a screw into the base so that they don't move anymore, and the squirrels have discovered that they can now get into it.  The perches are still too small, so they hang head down from the top of the feeder, holding on with the hind paws and eating with both of their 'hands'. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dazi

• like the flower
I don't eat grains  (refined or whole). I also don't eat low fat (with the exception of Dannon fit and light Greek yogurt and that's only because I really like it ) .  I have one doctor who thinks this is great and one who freaks out and insist I must eat at minimum six servings a day and both tell me I need to switch to low fat products. Grains make me bloated, uncomfortable, and at the very least,  cause major acid reflux. Low fat foods do not satisfy me,  I eat WAY more calories when I try to do low fat.

I get plenty of fiber from fresh fruits and vegetables.  My total cholesterol is hovering just above 100 and I have blood pressure at the very lowest end of normal,  my mineral absorption is also up some. Everyone agrees my health has much improved and I'm doing very well .   I'm not sure what this crazy obsession is with whole grains.  While technically I am not allergic or have celiac disease (I was tested), there was obviously something going on in my body that was BAD while consuming them.

The only time I ever had an issue with my cholesterol is when I was  eating the recommended grains per day,  my total was fine,  but at one point my triG spiked to over  300. My doctor at the time suspected it was stress related,  but no cause was actually found. My allergies, asthma, psoriasis, hidrandenitis suppurativa , weight, and joint pain problems were also at an all-time high and now that that I'm not eating grains they are at an all time low symptom wise.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mikayla

It sounds strange, but I have always been jealous of people who can nap.   I've only tried a few times in my life, and if I manage to sleep at all,  I wake up feeling (and acting) drugged.  It also messes bigtime with my circadian rhythms.  I'm better off staying awake, even if this requires caffeine, and then just going to bed at regular time.

It's sad.  Naps are cool.

mw8242

^^ me too! People talk about naps all the time but I can't do it. I don't sleep easily or for long most nights and naps don't come easy.  If I do end up napping I wake up extremely cranky and even more tired than before. I have friends that can power nap and be ready to go, I wish I could instead of just going home earlier to get some sleep.

I also only sleep about 6 hours at a time, doesn't matter what time I go to bed 11pm - 5am or 1am - 7am, it's usually 6 hours exactly which I find very weird but it's a family thing, most of the women in my family are this way.