Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 16694 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I don't make my bed. Well, very rarely. I grew up having to do it each and every day, complete with bedspread. I hated doing it, so now I rebel and don't. I will if I'm having company, so as not too appear too slovenly, but just for me, nope.

I also only use a smidge of laundry detergent. I do mine about every 2 weeks, anywhere from 6-8 loads, and I buy a 32 oz bottle, which will last me 6 months or more. they say use 1/2  cap for normal loads and almost a full one for larger loads, but i've found that a couple of tablespoons is more than enough. saves me money, and i don't get that icky feel of too much soap in my clothes!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I don't make my bed. Well, very rarely. I grew up having to do it each and every day, complete with bedspread. I hated doing it, so now I rebel and don't. I will if I'm having company, so as not too appear too slovenly, but just for me, nope.

My long lost sister!  The only time my bed gets made is when I change the sheets.  I don't even make it for company because I keep the door closed.

I'm with you on the laundry soap thing.  I've actually found a soap where the recommended amount is only a tbsp or two.  It's expensive but it works really well and I don't get itchy skin nearly as bad.  I'm still using up some more commercial style soap but I use the good stuff on my sheets.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

My long lost sister!  The only time my bed gets made is when I change the sheets.  I don't even make it for company because I keep the door closed.

I'm with you on the laundry soap thing.  I've actually found a soap where the recommended amount is only a tbsp or two.  It's expensive but it works really well and I don't get itchy skin nearly as bad.  I'm still using up some more commercial style soap but I use the good stuff on my sheets.

Hahaha - I know! the worst was at my grandmother's; she had those chenille bedspreads. UGH. what's funny is it relaly isn't that big a deal now to make a bed. But I can't tell you how many people think I'm lazy for not doing it "but it just takes a minute" Well, yes, but I am NOT at all coherent in the am. Its all i can do to make coffee, and get dressed and do my face and hair. I even shower at night since in the am it takes too much time!

I use All Free and Clear. LOVE it. and some vinegar to combat stinky residue in the complex's machines.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I only wash in cold and have a front loader, so concentrated detergent is all I can use. I use All Free & Clear (the store brand version) and Oxi-Clean in every load. Linens get fabric softener also.

I don't make my bed unless I am changing bedding or adding more blankets because of a weather change.

I use parchment paper when baking so I don't have to wash the pan.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
I make Caesar salad with homemade dressing.  Okay, I admit I quickly coddle the eggs, but they are close to raw.

I make beef carpaccio--no searing.  I do rinse and put the plates in the freezer. They maintain the temperature.

I make Caesar dressing with raw un-coddled eggs.

And yummm. Beef carpaccio with arugula, good olive oil and black pepper. Now I want that for lunch.

Didn't even think about the dishwaher. Pots, pans, knives, crystal, china... they all go in. I have very few things in my kitchen I won't put in it...An expensive 10" cimeter knife that doesn't really fit well anyway, my cast iron skillets, and my enameled cast iron dutch ovens. I try not to buy items that I'd not want to put in the dishwasher. That's the reason I use mostly stainless steel pots and not non-stick.

Bed's get made about once a week.

perpetua

Actually here's one from another thread but it fits here, so throwing it into the ring: I prefer 'Miss'. I don't like being called Ms and if anyone does call me Ms I will correct them because I really dislike it that much. Ms may be technically correct but I can't stand it and I'll never use it. Not accepted wisdom but it works for me :)

Vall

I don't use sunscreen every day.  In fact, I only use it when I know I'll be in the sun all day.  Even then, I only apply it once in the morning.  I may get a bit rosy or pink but nothing painful.

I don't drink the amount of water that they say I should.  I probably only drink about 8 oz a day and then about 24 oz of fruit juice.  I drink coffee but I don't count that as a hydrating liquid.  I don't drink with meals (neither does my dad).  But neither of us has ever been dehydrated or had any issues from lack of fluids.  Maybe it's genetic and our bodies don't need large amounts of water.  Of course I always drink when I'm thirsty but that doesn't happen often.

Like many others, I thaw meat on the counter, don't make my bed, and only lather my hair once.

lowspark

You're not supposed to wash your hair every day?
OK, that's another one I've never heard of. Why the heck not? I've been doing it pretty much since I was old enough to take my own shower (without my mother bathing me). And my hair is soft and silky. But yeah, I don't blow dry or treat it in any way. I wash it nightly (after doing my treadmill) and that's it. (Once, no repeat.)

lowspark

I use Facebook and have no issues with it even though apparently anyone and everyone is using it to spy on me.  >:D Ok, this isn't so much "prevailing advice" as "lots of my friends" who say this.

I am friends with my ex.

I answer people honestly when they ask me how they look in that dress.

I do too... but only if we're shopping together. In other words, if someone wants my opinion before they buy something, I give it honestly. If they're asking about something they already own, I might not be quite as forthcoming, depending on if I can help by suggesting some change that will improve it.

I recently went shopping with a few friends and we were in a store that wasn't really my style but they were all trying on stuff like crazy. I sat outside the dressing rooms and each one would come out as she tried something on and model it. I told them all which ones looked good and which not. They told me that they appreciated my being there and being honest because, of course, the salesladies thought everything looked perfect!!

lowspark

I also only use a smidge of laundry detergent. I do mine about every 2 weeks, anywhere from 6-8 loads, and I buy a 32 oz bottle, which will last me 6 months or more. they say use 1/2  cap for normal loads and almost a full one for larger loads, but i've found that a couple of tablespoons is more than enough. saves me money, and i don't get that icky feel of too much soap in my clothes!

Ha!! I never make my bed either! My housekeeper does when she changes the sheets every other week. And I'll sort of straighten it up - sort of half-make it - if I have guests coming over and there's a chance they'll see my bedroom (which doesn't happen all that often).

I've actually never understood the philosophy behind making up a bed except for if it needs to be presentable for guests. I mean, DH & I are the only ones who ever see it and if we don't care that it's not made, then why bother? It's not like making it refreshes or cleans it somehow. It's still gonna be the same ol' bed & sheets & blankets when we crawl in tonight whether the bed was made this morning or not.

magicdomino

You don't find feeding them attracts rats?
I think this has to be very individual to neighborhoods...I know that mice can and have and do make it into my garage for the birdseed, but there's enough snow that I can see tracks of any critter that comes to the birdfeeders and I've never seen rat-tracks (and I'd *probably* recognize them--I see mice tracks on occasion, and deer tracks, and coon tracks and possum tracks and squirrel tracks [and, of course bird tracks], but never rats).

a few miles away where my parents live, though, they refuse to feed the birds because they get tired of dealing w/ deer on their deck

My yard gets rats -- I've seen them.  The mixed-seed feeder is quite small -- maybe two cups -- and gets only enough food to last until early afternoon.  That gives the juncos and morning doves time to clean up the spilled seed before the rats come out at night.

On the subject of going against prevailing advice, I feed birds during the summer.  The seed is more of a supplement than a meal; the birds still hunt insects and berries.  I haven't gone on a summer vacation in many years, but if I did, the birds would do the same as when a berry bush or a stand of seeding grasses runs out:  they'd find a new food supply.  The nyger thistle feeder is out all year round, attracting gold finches and not attracting rodents.  I had to stop using the mixed seed feeder though as the rats started coming out in the mornings.   >:(

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
You're not supposed to wash your hair every day?
OK, that's another one I've never heard of. Why the heck not? I've been doing it pretty much since I was old enough to take my own shower (without my mother bathing me). And my hair is soft and silky. But yeah, I don't blow dry or treat it in any way. I wash it nightly (after doing my treadmill) and that's it. (Once, no repeat.)

A lot of people do just fine washing their hair every day, but a lot of them probably don't really need to. There are also a number of people whose hair behaves better and just generally looks nicer if they don't wash it every day. And, for those whose hair looks fine either way, not washing it daily saves money on hair products. I personally "reset" my hair rather than wash it most days (I detangle with conditioner in the shower, but don't actually cleanse it with anything but water and my fingers), and actually cleanse it twice a week or so. I'd do it even less often if I didn't go to the gym and get all sweaty on a regular basis.

It's kind of like the skin on your face. Some people have naturally very oily skin that needs to be washed frequently, because they have way more natural skin oils than their skin actually needs. Others have naturally very dry skin that can only barely tolerate washing (and may require special cleansers) because they don't have enough natural skin oils, so stripping away what they do have can be uncomfortable or even painful. And, of course, there are people at every step in between.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
I have curly hair, too, but my goal is to get as much water out as I can because I don't ever use a dryer and I have no idea what styling is.   ;)  I'm a wash and go girl.

I'm almost wash and go (in that the only product I use is gel when my hair is wet, and I only use a diffuser to get it just a little bit more dry than it would be with air drying). It's just that if I dry my hair too much straight out of the shower, I can never get it to sit right as it dries. It looks better if I let it air dry from almost wet than if I try to do it from damp or almost dry.

rose red

• Super Hero!
I adore wearing flip flops even though *they* warn against them every summer because they are bad for your feet. 

Morty'sCleaningLady

Actually here's one from another thread but it fits here, so throwing it into the ring: I prefer 'Miss'. I don't like being called Ms and if anyone does call me Ms I will correct them because I really dislike it that much. Ms may be technically correct but I can't stand it and I'll never use it. Not accepted wisdom but it works for me :)

Me, too!  I hate the Z sound.
Formerly Mrs.Bart