Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 16401 times)

cattlekid

My ILs do not refrigerate leftovers, unless it's the height of summer.  They have a covered "lean-to" type porch on the back of their house and everything is stored there.  I have had to quit eating anything but fresh food at their house because I have had a kidney transplant and have to be extra-vigilant about food safety.

MIL also would make a pot of coffee the night before, then warm it up on the stove the next morning, even though they had a automatic drip coffeemaker that would make a pot of fresh coffee in a matter of minutes.

For me, I thaw out most items on a "Miracle Thaw".  It is a piece of black metal (unsure of the actual alloy) that sits on the counter.  You can put a piece of meat on the Miracle Thaw and it thaws out in a couple of hours.  The heat is transferred to the metal through what I am sure is magic.   Purchasing the Miracle Thaw was the best 25 cent investment I ever made at Goodwill.   ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I put leftovers away immediately.

When my father in law would visit his grandparents on the farm, they never washed a dish, just wiped it off and put it back in the cabinet. Must have had hardier constitutions!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I do lots of things perhaps I "shouldn't"

I don't warm up my car, as in the engine, even when its frigid out. I will turn it on, but to defrost and scrape the windows. So it does warm up that way.  But if its cold, and i don't need to do that, i get in, start it up, and drive off. I've never ever had ANY issue becasue I don't.

I routinely eat food that is past the "sell by" date. If it smells and tastes ok, or has no visible mold, or its something like crackers that won't actually "go" bad, I don't care.

I too defrost stuff on my counter, when I'm home to remember to put it back in the fridge.  And I frequently leave my leftovers out for an hour or more. I have yet to poison myself :)

I wash things that say dry clean only, if it seems that they woudl be ok. Either by hand, or sometimes in the washer, in a mesh bag. The only thing I have ruined is a blouse, red with white dots, that SAID machine wash cold, which I did, and it ran. Yet my co-workers who bought the same top (from our store) had no issues whatsoever.  I just don't care for the smell (and I can smell it) of the dry cleaning chemicals on my clothes. Plus I'm cheap.

I do my laundry as follows:  Darks, whites and lights (i don't bleach and frequently don't have enough whites to make a full load), sheets and towels, and undies and socks.  Darks are washed in cold, whites and lights in warm, and sheets and towels and socks and undies in hot. But I've also been known to throw a stray dark in with the lights and vice versa, rather than wait for my next laundry day.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I very rarely use bleach. I prefer non-toxic cleaners, like Method for cleaning.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I have worn new clothes without washing first.

I *always* wear new clothes without washing first! I want at least one experience of wearing them while they look and feel exactly the way they did in the store.

I also put sheets on the bed without washing them. My MIL was aghast. My DH and I washed one set first, and then decided, we also want one night of sleeping on them while they're extra crisp. I guess we'll get Alzheimers or something from breathing in the factory fumes overnight for a week.

This is one rule I do abide by.  I have some skin allergies/sensitivities and quite often react if the article isn't washed first.  I could get away with not washing jeans, maybe, but everything else?  Has to be washed.  My Dad bought a new dress shirt and didn't wash it first.  Something on the shirt reacted with his antiperspirant and he had big red patches on his underarms.  Whereby I stressed that he needed to wash new clothes before he wore them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

This is one rule I do abide by.  I have some skin allergies/sensitivities and quite often react if the article isn't washed first.  I could get away with not washing jeans, maybe, but everything else?  Has to be washed.  My Dad bought a new dress shirt and didn't wash it first.  Something on the shirt reacted with his antiperspirant and he had big red patches on his underarms.  Whereby I stressed that he needed to wash new clothes before he wore them.

I do as well, for the most part. I've put things on that make me itchy from the get go.  if its something that will go next to my skin, or near my nether regions, such as undies, tshirts, pajamas, it gets washed. Something like jeans, pants, a jacket or sweater I'll wear over something, I may or may not, depending on when I'm doing laundry next, and how badly i want to wear it.

The only real exception is stuff from the store I work in. Maybe becasue I see that most of it comes in plastic, which shouldn't make a difference but in my eyes, it does.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.

I do as well, for the most part. I've put things on that make me itchy from the get go.  if its something that will go next to my skin, or near my nether regions, such as undies, tshirts, pajamas, it gets washed. Something like jeans, pants, a jacket or sweater I'll wear over something, I may or may not, depending on when I'm doing laundry next, and how badly i want to wear it.

The only real exception is stuff from the store I work in. Maybe becasue I see that most of it comes in plastic, which shouldn't make a difference but in my eyes, it does.

I've got an iggie about clothing being contaminated with pesticides, cleaning products, or the like. I always wash them first.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Once a meal is finished, we usually leave covered leftovers on the counter until they're cool enough to store in the fridge.  Then, we  pack them into freezer safe containers, label them and put them away until we want them again. In 30 years of our marriage nothing has spoiled. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

I've got an iggie about clothing being contaminated with pesticides, cleaning products, or the like. I always wash them first.

Oh me too, but living in an apt, I don't have my own W/D so i only do my laundry every 10 days to 2 weeks. That's why I don't really like dry cleaning. If I had my own W/D everything woudl be washed before wearing.

lowspark

I don't put leftovers in the fridge right away since I may want to eat again a few hours later.

I have shared makeup (not for eyes though).

You're supposed to wash new clothes before you wear them?? I've never done that.

lowspark

I bring my lunch to work most days and it just sits on my desk all morning without refrigeration. I've never had a problem.
And I've definitely thawed meat on the counter. Sometimes I just don't plan far enough ahead to let it sit in the fridge for a few days.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!

I *always* wear new clothes without washing first! I want at least one experience of wearing them while they look and feel exactly the way they did in the store.

I'm always afraid my clothes will get ruined on the first wash and I'll never get to wear them. I think it dates back to that happening maybe once with a terribly low-quality garment back when I was in college.

LemonZen

Add me to the people who thaw meat on the counter! I can't ever remember to get meat out the 3 days it takes to thaw anything in the fridge.

I also wear clothes without washing (except underwear, I always wash that, and I wash my kids clothes before they wear them.)

I eat cookie dough with raw egg in it. I figure lots of other things have raw/not fully cooked eggs in them that are acceptable to eat so why not cookie dough? :)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
I'm another lazy laundress.  ;D  Black and dark color clothing go in together, whites and lighter color clothing go in together.  That's my nod to sorting.

I also mash potatoes with a hand mixer.  Everywhere I've seen, people say that will ruin the consistency and turn them into wallpaper paste.  That's only happened once, and that time it was because I left them sitting in the water for too long--it wasn't related to the method of mashing.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

lowspark

Add me to the people who thaw meat on the counter! I can't ever remember to get meat out the 3 days it takes to thaw anything in the fridge.

I also wear clothes without washing (except underwear, I always wash that, and I wash my kids clothes before they wear them.)

I eat cookie dough with raw egg in it. I figure lots of other things have raw/not fully cooked eggs in them that are acceptable to eat so why not cookie dough? :)

Me too.