Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 14787 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I wash my hair every other day and I never repeat the shampoo.

I will eat raw egg products, such as batter and dough, and sashimi but not meat thawed on a counter.

My 15 year old hasn't had a parent imposed bed time in over a year. He knows when he is tired and knows when he has to get up, so he's got that covered.

SiotehCat

My 15 year old hasn't had a parent imposed bed time in over a year. He knows when he is tired and knows when he has to get up, so he's got that covered.

My 13 yr old also doesn't have a bedtime and never had one when he was younger. Last year, for a few months, we gave him a bed time because of his grades. But he fixed that and now it's back to normal. Currently, I fall asleep before everyone else so I have no idea when everyone is falling asleep.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
I think the rule for spices really ought to be revised to "only buy what you can use within 6 months to a year, as much as possible."

I don't know how common this is everywhere else, but my grocery store has a large bulk foods section, complete with an aisle of bulk spices. I did the math and determined that, ounce for ounce, the bulk spices are at least 1/4 the cost of bottled (and many of them are way cheaper than that in comparison). It looks scary to buy spices that cost $20+/pound, until you realize that you're buying about a tablespoon and it'll cost you a few cents. It also means that we can buy only what we think we'll need, which is very helpful for both spices we use only occasionally and spices we use in everything. It means we can buy massive quantities of garlic powder at once, but only little bits of things like baking powder that I only ever use once in a blue moon.

As for things I do against prevailing advice...I never wash my clothes in anything but cold water. I grew up doing it for environmental reasons (it saves electricity), and have never noticed my stuff to not get clean. I also seriously downgrade the amount of laundry detergent that is recommended. And I don't separate colors, unless it's something like a brand new pair of dark wash jeans. The only laundry sorting I do is "stuff that can be tumble dried" and "stuff that needs to be hung up." I only even do that much because it means my husband can do laundry without me having to be around, while also avoiding major laundry disasters.

I don't own much that is dry clean only, but I don't necessarily shy away from washing it. I have a silk dress that I very successfully washed using the delicate cycle and Woolite. I didn't spin it dry, but squeezed the water out by rolling it up in a towel, then hung it up in the shower to dry the rest of the way. I think I had a couple of pulled-loose threads (the outer layer is chiffon), but I was able to wiggle those back into place. It also had a ton of lint on it from the towel, but that wasn't hard to get off once it dried.

My mother actually told me that there isn't any reason at all to dry clean silk, and if the dry cleaner doesn't handle it properly, they are more than capable of ruining it. The only thing you have to be careful about with silk is absolutely avoiding all heat when it is even the slightest bit wet, since that makes it shrink. It's also just a delicate fabric that tears easily in general, so you have to handle it carefully. But as long as there's no heat involved, there's no reason you can't get silk wet.

workingmum

Like others I don't wash new clothes before wearing (except in one rare case where a dress had a nasty chemically smell).   I machine wash clothes that say "dry clean only".

I let my baby nap in my arms almost exclusively his first 7 months or so, and rocked him to sleep every night.  I also breastfed in bed at night instead of a chair.  Since he was 5 months and older I let him sleep in our bed if he wanted to eg when teething distress or similar.  People told me off, but all three of us were happy and well rested so I preferred that to spending hours up in the night settling a baby!  Or lying awake listening to him cry.  It didn't spoil him, and he actually learnt to go to sleep by himself without any issue. He now happily sleeps in his cot both day and night.  (And I have happy memories of many hours snuggling my wee bubba before he got so big and independent!)

I did something similar with DD. She had a harness because of her hips and the angle the harness had her little legs on made her just perfectly fit on my tummy. She slept on my tummy for the first three months of her life, and I can tell you now, I never had any troube with her sleeping. She was a very calm and settled child and hardly ever cried. Everyone told me I was spoiling her.. but when I looked at other new mums who were stressed and sleep deprived, I found it really hard to care what everyine else thought  :D
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

Library Dragon

I make Caesar salad with homemade dressing.  Okay, I admit I quickly coddle the eggs, but they are close to raw.

I make beef carpaccio--no searing.  I do rinse and put the plates in the freezer. They maintain the temperature.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:06:23 AM by Library Dragon »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Runningstar

You don't find feeding them attracts rats?
Not rats, but we had a bear in the neighborhood!  Squirrels are actually welcome here!  Like I said, it makes a mess and is not what you "should do".  Our local mice (outdoor, not pet) are not out in the winter and they try to come in to our house every spring and fall - but I only feed the birds in the cold.

Ceallach

• This Is It
Like others I don't wash new clothes before wearing (except in one rare case where a dress had a nasty chemically smell).   I machine wash clothes that say "dry clean only".

I let my baby nap in my arms almost exclusively his first 7 months or so, and rocked him to sleep every night.  I also breastfed in bed at night instead of a chair.  Since he was 5 months and older I let him sleep in our bed if he wanted to eg when teething distress or similar.  People told me off, but all three of us were happy and well rested so I preferred that to spending hours up in the night settling a baby!  Or lying awake listening to him cry.  It didn't spoil him, and he actually learnt to go to sleep by himself without any issue. He now happily sleeps in his cot both day and night.  (And I have happy memories of many hours snuggling my wee bubba before he got so big and independent!)

I did something similar with DD. She had a harness because of her hips and the angle the harness had her little legs on made her just perfectly fit on my tummy. She slept on my tummy for the first three months of her life, and I can tell you now, I never had any troube with her sleeping. She was a very calm and settled child and hardly ever cried. Everyone told me I was spoiling her.. but when I looked at other new mums who were stressed and sleep deprived, I found it really hard to care what everyine else thought  :D

Re the bolded - exactly!  And when they'd stare at me amazed and say "how do you always look so rested?"  I'd think "from doing what you just frowned at me disapprovingly for??"   Because my baby wasn't the best sleeper, but when he woke up for a feed I would be out of bed for 30 seconds, whereas they were up for an hour feeding and settling before going back to bed.   

I also didn't change my babies nappy (diaper) at night unless it was number 2.    Not sure what the prevailing advice is around that but I suspect it's to change it!!   He never had rashes, and it meant he wasn't woken up unnecessarily seeing he only half awoke to eat.   Ironically now he's a toddler we often have to change it at night, and he sleeps right through it!  (We whip it off in his cot.  And nope, he's never peed on us or the bed whilst doing so!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Add me to the list of people who thaw meat on the counter (or in the sink!). I grew up with my mom doing this, so I like to think I have built up an immunity to any potential bacteria. I'm just not good at remembering to take things out of the freezer, and I've never mastered microwave thawing...it always gets cooked around the edges!

Me too.  I used to try and thaw it in the fridge but it never did get thawed enough by supper time. A friend asked me why I did that and said "Just toss it on the counter!" So I do and it works and miraculously our cats will leave it alone.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I have a silk dress that I very successfully washed using the delicate cycle and Woolite. I didn't spin it dry, but squeezed the water out by rolling it up in a towel, then hung it up in the shower to dry the rest of the way. I think I had a couple of pulled-loose threads (the outer layer is chiffon), but I was able to wiggle those back into place. It also had a ton of lint on it from the towel, but that wasn't hard to get off once it dried.

You could get a microfibre towel for this and you wouldn't have the lint.  Plus, it would probably absorb more water than a regular towel.

I have one that was sold as a camping towel because it rolls up small.  I use it whenever I travel for my hair and I can't believe how much drier my hair gets than with a regular towel.  I'm thinking about buying a couple more to have at home.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BigBadBetty

I also pop pimples and eat raw cookie dough (but not at the same time). I wash dry clean only and hand wash only clothes in washing machine on the hand wash cycle. I fall asleep in front of the TV. I do all my indoor workouts (including plyometrics) with no shoes on even though I have the flattest feet in the world.

Morty'sCleaningLady

You all are far more rebellious than I am.

99% of the time, I wash everything before I use it.  I wash it in the recommended temperature and separate my laundry.  Sure, I often do four or five loads of laundry per week, but they are small loads.  I<3 bleach.  I do not love concentrated detergents though - it takes way to long to dilute it to the strength I want and I often think I'm wasting detergent.  And, I iron.  I iron my good dishtowels (the ones not used for drying dishes, but rather looking cute on the stove), my sheets, and dress blouses (the ones that say dry clean only, but are 100% cotton.)

I do sometimes put wineglasses (not crystal) and pots and pans in the dishwasher, which my mother says is a no-no.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
DH and I have been told that having separate checking accounts (though with the same credit union) is wrong/strange/unwise but hey it works for us. It's a lot easier to balance a checkbook when you know you're the only one drawing off of it.  We tried when we were first married to do the conventional thing and it was a pain for both of us. 

Because we're with the same CU we can transfer $ from one account to another easily and quickly online.  People are especially confused about it when they know I don't have a job but hell, like I said, it works for us and it's not hurting us, either.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
I have a silk dress that I very successfully washed using the delicate cycle and Woolite. I didn't spin it dry, but squeezed the water out by rolling it up in a towel, then hung it up in the shower to dry the rest of the way. I think I had a couple of pulled-loose threads (the outer layer is chiffon), but I was able to wiggle those back into place. It also had a ton of lint on it from the towel, but that wasn't hard to get off once it dried.

You could get a microfibre towel for this and you wouldn't have the lint.  Plus, it would probably absorb more water than a regular towel.

I have one that was sold as a camping towel because it rolls up small.  I use it whenever I travel for my hair and I can't believe how much drier my hair gets than with a regular towel.  I'm thinking about buying a couple more to have at home.

Definitely. :) I thought of that after I washed it, but I've only ever washed the dress the one time. I don't wear it very often, and wouldn't necessarily wash it just because I'd worn it for an evening, either. Using a regular bath towel and ending up with lint was more a case of not thinking the thing all the way through. Plus, it only collected the lint because it's silk chiffon (rather than shiny, smooth silk that likely wouldn't have gotten as linty).

This reminds me of another thing I'm perhaps less conventional about. Because I have curly hair, I actually work really hard to keep it right at the point where it's dry enough not to drip all over the place, but not one bit drier. Aside from making my hair frizzier, terrycloth towels remove more water from my hair than I want, which ultimately makes it hard to style. So I use a length of jersey knit fabric (i.e. t-shirt material) as much because it absorbs less water as because it's a smooth fabric.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I have curly hair, too, but my goal is to get as much water out as I can because I don't ever use a dryer and I have no idea what styling is.   ;)  I'm a wash and go girl.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hillia

I cosigned a car loan for my DS.  If it had gone wrong it would have been a problem, but he proved himself reliable and responsible and made every payment on time - incidentally helping my credit score along the way.  After 18 months, he traded that car in and was able to get a loan in his own name at a good interest rate.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools