Author Topic: What works perfectly fine for you even though it goes against prevailing advice?  (Read 15635 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I heard this on npr, but here is the story behind it. The study showed people who ate low fat dairy ended up weighing more than people who used the full fat versions. There may be a metabolic reaction to the low fat dairy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2356806/Could-SKIMMED-MILK-contributing-obesity-epidemic-Low-fat-dairy-encourage-weight-gain-say-experts.html

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
My chiropractor is into "detox", juicing, meal replacement smoothies and eats no bread or dairy, ever.

He doesn't comprehend that DH and I, who are more than a decade older, know what works for us. Real food only, just healthy real food. No meal replacements. Everything in moderation. I will continue to make it clear we aren't interested in the pseudoscience nutrition part of his practice.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Something naturally low fat?  No problem.  But something that is made to be low fat usually uses sugar and/or sugar substitutes to compensate for the missing fat.  It isn't surprising that eating low fat foods can cause weight gain.  When you factor in that you are less satiated by the lower fat and you end up eating more?  Even worse.

I'm not a big fan of juicing.  Some of the people at work are doing this, along with smoothies and stuff.  I'd rather eat the piece of fruit or the vegetable than drink the juice.  I'll be fuller, longer, since I'm getting all the fibre.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I can feel the spike in my blood sugar if I drink a beverage that contains calories, and it reflects in my testing numbers as well. Not for me.

I have a lot of fad dieters around me at work. One has done cabbage soup, Paleo, WW, and is now doing MedSpa. I don't say a word, but each time, she falls off the plan during a busy time and jumps to the next thing. I guess there will always be a next thing.    :-\

Runningstar

The dieting talk made me realize that something I do goes against prevailing advice.  I won't eat if I'm not hungry, and if I'm not hungry in the morning, or at lunchtime, or dinnertime, I just won't eat.  I've learned not to mention this, as people are horrified if they hear that it might have been half the day since I've eaten last.  I'm not skinny, or overweight.  Sometimes I'm out with friends for lunch, and I order whatever and basically just sample the food and box it up to eat when I am hungry.  I've done this basically my entire life, my mom just accepted my appetite and didn't force me to eat (which I've always been grateful for).  I had a very dear babysitter when I was young that was told not to force me to eat, and she didn't, but she would save my lunch everyday and show my mother what all I didn't eat that day.  We loved her, and understood it, but it didn't change my eating habits. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I always wash clothes before wearing them. A while back Bad principal decided that we would be given our convocation shirts the day of convocation. We also couldn't wear something under them. I picked up my shirt, laid it over my arm, while I explained this would not work for me.

Bad Principal and bad AP told me I was a hypochondriac. I handed them back the shirt and showed them the red blistery rash from where the fabric was touching my arm. Explained I would be sending photos to HR before I talked to them about this issue. He handed out the shirts so we could wash them if we wanted. (Was still mad because they wouldn't be "Crisp" from the sizing)

People wonder why I HATE going clothes shopping and insist on going straight home to a bath. (I do the leotard and tights under my clothes when I shop for anything other than bras. Still I itch)

Reading about defrosting raw meat made me realize - I don't deal with frozen meat. I buy fresh cook a bunch on Sundays and on school breaks. Then I vacuum pack the cooked meals and put in the freezer. On Saturday I pick from my homemade frozen meals and put in my frig for the week. If something is still frozen when I want it, I do the water in the bowl and it defrosts fast. 

Runningstar what you are doing sounds healthy. The only time I "force" myself to eat is when I know I'm not hungry because of allergies. My body needs fuel - but nothing smell/tastes/sounds good because of the allergies.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cicero

• Super Hero!
I don't eat grains  (refined or whole). I also don't eat low fat (with the exception of Dannon fit and light Greek yogurt and that's only because I really like it ) .  I have one doctor who thinks this is great and one who freaks out and insist I must eat at minimum six servings a day and both tell me I need to switch to low fat products. Grains make me bloated, uncomfortable, and at the very least,  cause major acid reflux. Low fat foods do not satisfy me,  I eat WAY more calories when I try to do low fat.

I get plenty of fiber from fresh fruits and vegetables.  My total cholesterol is hovering just above 100 and I have blood pressure at the very lowest end of normal,  my mineral absorption is also up some. Everyone agrees my health has much improved and I'm doing very well .   I'm not sure what this crazy obsession is with whole grains.  While technically I am not allergic or have celiac disease (I was tested), there was obviously something going on in my body that was BAD while consuming them.

The only time I ever had an issue with my cholesterol is when I was  eating the recommended grains per day,  my total was fine,  but at one point my triG spiked to over  300. My doctor at the time suspected it was stress related,  but no cause was actually found. My allergies, asthma, psoriasis, hidrandenitis suppurativa , weight, and joint pain problems were also at an all-time high and now that that I'm not eating grains they are at an all time low symptom wise.
one of my nephews was going crazy - he was having terrible time with stomach ailments, gettings sick all the time, acne, etc when he went to a college and was eating "their" food. he did a bunch of tests, he did a bunch of self-experiments and found that even though the tests said he doesn't have a gluten problem, he does much much better on an almost grain free diet. he doesn't eat any wheat products(i think only rice/corn). he eats veg, fruit, eggs, lean proteins (can't eat dairy anyway). he said he doesn't care "what" the problem actually *is* but he is happy with his solution.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dazi

• like the flower
I don't eat grains  (refined or whole). I also don't eat low fat (with the exception of Dannon fit and light Greek yogurt and that's only because I really like it ) .  I have one doctor who thinks this is great and one who freaks out and insist I must eat at minimum six servings a day and both tell me I need to switch to low fat products. Grains make me bloated, uncomfortable, and at the very least,  cause major acid reflux. Low fat foods do not satisfy me,  I eat WAY more calories when I try to do low fat.

I get plenty of fiber from fresh fruits and vegetables.  My total cholesterol is hovering just above 100 and I have blood pressure at the very lowest end of normal,  my mineral absorption is also up some. Everyone agrees my health has much improved and I'm doing very well .   I'm not sure what this crazy obsession is with whole grains.  While technically I am not allergic or have celiac disease (I was tested), there was obviously something going on in my body that was BAD while consuming them.

The only time I ever had an issue with my cholesterol is when I was  eating the recommended grains per day,  my total was fine,  but at one point my triG spiked to over  300. My doctor at the time suspected it was stress related,  but no cause was actually found. My allergies, asthma, psoriasis, hidrandenitis suppurativa , weight, and joint pain problems were also at an all-time high and now that that I'm not eating grains they are at an all time low symptom wise.
one of my nephews was going crazy - he was having terrible time with stomach ailments, gettings sick all the time, acne, etc when he went to a college and was eating "their" food. he did a bunch of tests, he did a bunch of self-experiments and found that even though the tests said he doesn't have a gluten problem, he does much much better on an almost grain free diet. he doesn't eat any wheat products(i think only rice/corn). he eats veg, fruit, eggs, lean proteins (can't eat dairy anyway). he said he doesn't care "what" the problem actually *is* but he is happy with his solution.

Exactly.   I ate a one inch square of cake sans frosting the other day,  I have been miserable all weekend. My face broke out with a few pimples, my joints ache,  and I've been spending a lot of extra time in the bathroom. I don't know what I was  thinking eating it. Stupid me.

Rice doesn't seem to bother me as much as wheat,  barley, and rye,  but it still can make me quite uncomfortable if I eat more than a few bites. Corn makes me super gassy to the point my gut is visibly distended. I actually don't have any issues with lentils, beans and nuts (except for soy,  but I'm allergic to soy).

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah