Author Topic: Do you have a rice cooker?  (Read 1904 times)

Vall

Do you have a rice cooker?
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a rice cooker.  Rice is the one food that DH has trouble cooking (he does all of our cooking).

Do you have a rice cooker?  If you do, do you use it very often?  Do you have any advice about the different kinds/brands of rice cookers?  Any advice on how best to make rice?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Do you have a rice cooker?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »
I have a small basic one that cost less than $15.  I use it at least once a week and it works pretty well, although you don't want to leave it on warm after the rice is done cooking.  There are bigger, fancier ones, but the small one was all we really needed.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
A billion Chinese people can't be wrong.  :)

I was introduced to the rice cooker by a friend from Taiwan about 20 years ago.  I couldn't live without mine.  The brand in Sunpentown, but I simply walked into an Asian grocery store and picked out a pretty one.

You dump the rice in, add water, and turn it on, When it's done, it it turns itself off.  Always perfect rice.  You can make the flavored rice from boxes, as well as straight rice.  It also steams vegetables deliciously. You'll have to wash the removable metal bowl, sponge down the inside of the lid, and empty the little overflow catcher.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
I have a little cheap one. it cost me about $12 and I use it all the time.

Dump in the rice, water and some stock/saffron/whatever and flick the switch. Perfect rice every time.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »
Basic one that cost less than $12 at the time (same model ten years later costs a little bit more).

For a while, we had two, as we were split between two households due to military orders then military retirement & a new career for VorGuy while I was getting our previous house ready to sell.  So the spare was in use for two years with him and another year with me!

It is now living in my brother's kitchen - as they didn't have one & didn't want TWO.  DD had bought one for herself because it was taking so long to get the house ready & sold (building boom - several houses with a developer paid much better for a painter, a plumber, a roofer, etc. than a few hours to two days at one house getting ready to be put on the market).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:46:37 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
Same as above.  Use it constantly for rice and veggies.  Ours was maybe $20. 
Not such a newbie anymore

suzieQ

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
Use it for brown rice, white rice and steel cut oatmeal. Love my rice cooker!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
We got a rice cooker as a wedding present 25 years AFO and never looked back.
I realized quite some time ago that I would not be able to cook rice in the stove. I never mastered the trick when growing up and any remnants have long since rusted away.

Know what? I am just fine with that!
The rice cookers we have had - 2 in 25 years - have worked perfectly and made life so much easier!

My vote is go for it!

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a rice cooker.  Rice is the one food that DH has trouble cooking (he does all of our cooking).

Do you have a rice cooker?  If you do, do you use it very often?  Do you have any advice about the different kinds/brands of rice cookers?  Any advice on how best to make rice?

Yes, and I love it. I NEVER would have bought one, I thought they were silly and I prefer kitchen things that have multiple uses, but my MIL bought us one as a present and it's the best. Makes great rice every time, so easy. I don't even know which brand we have. Oh, and if you make too much and you want to use it the next day, you can re-heat the leftover rice in the rice cooker! It's awesome.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »
We have had a rice cooker since we got married. I remember it was pretty expensive...maybe a little over $100? But it's lasted twenty years and is still working perfectly. It is absolutely essential in our house.

kudeebee

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »
I have a basic model.  Use it for rice, oatmeal, veggies, some pastas.  Use it a lot.  Easy to clean, use and store.

miritree

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 12:29:17 AM »
YES. We have a basic-ish one. Before I had one, I really only cooked instant rice, cause that's what my mom did. Real rice is so much better.

Coralreef

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 07:05:33 AM »
I have a small one that cost maybe $10 on sale.  I love it, even if it is a very basic one.  I use it for rice, steaming vegetables (it has a little removable sieve), keeping stuff warm (great for cheese fondue).  If it ever breaks down, I'll get another one.

Here it is : http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RC3303-3-Cup-Cooker/dp/B002CVTT52/ref=sr_1_4?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1391169876&sr=1-4&keywords=rice+cooker

[/right

KarenK

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 07:09:11 AM »
We bought a veggie steamer years ago. I don't think I've every steamed a veggie. We only use it for rice. Perfect every time.

perpetua

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 07:25:29 AM »
My friend taught me a brilliant way to cook rice. Granted I've never used a rice cooker so I can't compare, but it comes out fluffy and delicious and perfect every time, so you might want to try this before you splash out.

1. Put 1 cup of basmati rice to 2.5 cups of water in a bowl or jug to soak for a few minutes (this can be any size cup, not a 'measuring cup' - I just use a coffee mug) while you're doing step 2, which is:

2. Get a deep frying pan, with a clear lid so you can see what's going on. 1 tbsp olive oil into the pan, get it nice and hot. Into it, crush with your hand one 'roundel' of vermicelli so it's in tiny little bits. Fry it off until it turns dark brown, stirring all the time or it'll catch. It'll go suddenly brown, you'll see it happen.

3. Pour the rice/water mixture into the pan. Slowly. And stand back - it'll smoke like heck.

4. Put the lid on and boil fairly vigorously until the water bubbling up in between the rice grains disappears and turn into holes. This will take about eight minutes, perhaps ten depending on how vigorously you're boiling it.

5. Take the pan off the heat. Cover the pan with the lid still on with two (clean!) tea towels and leave on the counter for a further 10-15 minutes. The rice finishes cooking in its own steam, which is held in by the teatowels, and if any bits have stuck to the pan, the steam will dislodge them.

6. Stir it around a bit and serve.

This gets me perfect rice every time. The rice is fluffy and light and the vermicelli gives it a flavour not unlike fried rice from the Chinese takeaway - it's delicious. Oh, and if you're on a GF diet you can use GF vermicelli and it works just as well.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:27:09 AM by perpetua »