Author Topic: Not all Indians are Hindu?  (Read 4558 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Not all Indians are Hindu?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
I think I would have said something like, "Not all people from India are Hindus. There are people of many different religions in India, including Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.. Only the Hindus wear the pottu." You kind of got into that in your last line, but that was right before you gave up on the conversation.

I think it's hard to tell from text whether he was joking, serious, kind of joking but also didn't really know, etc.. I think a clear, factual response that tried to get at the heart of the perceived misconception would have been a good move, as it would clear up his confusion if it was real, or tell him that you didn't get what was supposed to be funny if he was joking. Kind of like "not getting" an offensive joke, thus putting the teller on the spot.

Don't take this to mean that I think you did anything wrong, just that it's an option for next time. Also I see nothing wrong with typing to someone, "Are you joking or serious? Sorry, I can't tell." His statements did kind of go off the rails.

Ah, don't you love text conversations, where you can reproduce them here accurately and we can all dissect them? ;)
~Lynn2000

MerryCat

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
Not only are Indians not all Hindus, but not all Hindus even wear the pottu.

Almost all of the Indian women I know wear nothing on their forehead in day-to-day life. If it is specifically an Indian event, like a pooja, an Indian wedding or some other party where the guests will be predominantly Indian, they might wear saris, bindis and whatever else is traditional in their part of India.

Heck, even in India most people (basically Gen X'ers and younger) don't wear pottus, especially in urban areas. It's seen as kind of old fashioned these days.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »
Hi all, I had a weird conversation today. Just wanted to run it by you.

A friend of mine (American, not really relevant, but just some background) was chatting with me online today. I was telling him about an activity i was doing with my Indian friend, and then this happened:

Ouch..that made me cringe. I don't think it's relevant, honestly, because you find ignorance everywhere. That's not to excuse the ignorance, however. And, TBH, we're all ignorant about something. The thing to do is to graciously accept information from those who know the subject better. I live in an area that has the largest Indian population in the USA. I admit, living here has given me an education that I wouldn't have had elsewhere.
As another poster said, there is a lot of diversity in the Indian community.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »
I think he was joking in that "I think I'm cute and feisty" sort of way that can easily come across as condescending. I bet the google comment meant to imply you couldn't possibly know that the dot was called a "pottu" (you quickly googled it to show him up), and the Englishmen comment meant that of course all Indian people are Hindus. Even though he probably knows that's not true, but trying to be funny.

I'd probably let it go if he's generally a good guy, I've stuck my foot in my mouth trying to be silly. If he brings it up again maybe say "Are you joking or do you seriously believe that?"

azleaneo

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
"India is kinda a big place..."

CakeEater

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
Your second line, 'No, she does not wear a pottu' sounds slightly like you're pointedly using the correct word to show him the word he should have used.

immadz

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
Your second line, 'No, she does not wear a pottu' sounds slightly like you're pointedly using the correct word to show him the word he should have used.

It is not called a pottu all over India. However, it is not called a dot either. The OP might have used the word before with said friend, so perhaps he knew it. I don't think it is a pointed correction as much as supplying the word when someone forgets what it is called. If he knows enough to suggest that there are repercussions to not wearing a "dot" perhaps he does know what it is called and it just slipped his mind.

Nemesis

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 06:25:06 PM »

It is not called a pottu all over India. However, it is not called a dot either. The OP might have used the word before with said friend, so perhaps he knew it. I don't think it is a pointed correction as much as supplying the word when someone forgets what it is called. If he knows enough to suggest that there are repercussions to not wearing a "dot" perhaps he does know what it is called and it just slipped his mind.

Yeah, I was thinking that perhaps my sentence didn't come across well. Did I sound like a Know-It-All?

I am aware that it is also called a bindi. But this particular friend calls it a pottu, like many others from the part of India where she comes from.

I think he was joking in that "I think I'm cute and feisty" sort of way that can easily come across as condescending. I bet the google comment meant to imply you couldn't possibly know that the dot was called a "pottu" (you quickly googled it to show him up), and the Englishmen comment meant that of course all Indian people are Hindus. Even though he probably knows that's not true, but trying to be funny.

I'd probably let it go if he's generally a good guy, I've stuck my foot in my mouth trying to be silly. If he brings it up again maybe say "Are you joking or do you seriously believe that?"

Yeah, I think he must have been ribbing me and I didn't get his joke. Over text chat, sarcasm can easily misfire, so maybe this was the angle he was getting at. Thanks JenJay :)

English1

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 03:30:47 AM »
I'm trying to wrap my head round 'And Not all Englishmen are English'.  ??? Eh?

Is he a spy and passing messages to you in code?  :o

CakeEater

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 05:13:55 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking that perhaps my sentence didn't come across well. Did I sound like a Know-It-All?

I am aware that it is also called a bindi. But this particular friend calls it a pottu, like many others from the part of India where she comes from.

Perhaps a little.

I might even read his second comment as a joke - because of course you would know if your friend is Indian even if she doesn't wear the dot, but ha, ha, that's the only way pepole can tell if someone's Indian or not.

I suspect that you were just talking past each other: each having your own conversation, with the other not quite getting what the other was trying to say.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 05:37:23 AM »

As a Brit, my guess is -- that with the OP's friend, and presumably the OP, being American: it's a function of the confusion experienced by very many folk worldwide who are not British, about the business of England vis-a-vis Britain / the UK.  (I'm not meaning to come across here, as superior or condescending toward non-Britons: for sure, the whole thing is confusing !)

123sandy

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 05:43:29 AM »
"What's your point" is a bit condescending, I've never heard it used in a joking way, always a " do you even know what you're talking about" way.

How wonderful the internet is but it's much too easy to get the wrong end of the stick without tone or inflection...

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »

As a Brit, my guess is -- that with the OP's friend, and presumably the OP, being American: it's a function of the confusion experienced by very many folk worldwide who are not British, about the business of England vis-a-vis Britain / the UK.  (I'm not meaning to come across here, as superior or condescending toward non-Britons: for sure, the whole thing is confusing !)

I think the OP is in Austraila

johelenc1

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »
I think that was one weird conversation and your side of it made perfect sense.  Your friend's however, did not.  "How do you know she is Indian?"  Hmmm, well, since you've probably seen her and talked to her - you know!

I'm pretty sassy, and I didn't see any part of his side that was even close to funny.  If that was his aim, he failed miserably.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
I think that was one weird conversation and your side of it made perfect sense.  Your friend's however, did not.  "How do you know she is Indian?"  Hmmm, well, since you've probably seen her and talked to her - you know!

I'm pretty sassy, and I didn't see any part of his side that was even close to funny.  If that was his aim, he failed miserably.

Yeah, this is my reaction. He didn't make any sense.

If anything, he was stating as fact a very narrow set of information, and he comes across really stupid and stereotyping.