Author Topic: Odd Invitations  (Read 2960 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Odd Invitations
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »
Some years ago, a woman with whom I worked was getting married.  Her HTB was from Europe and, because he had many relatives who were rather old and infirm, they would have the ceremony and a reception there. 

When they returned, a big party was scheduled for, as she put it, 'the immediate world'.  It was a lovely party but, oh the invitations!

They were run off on a color copier and put into our mail boxes at work.  No problem there.  After all, it was assumed to be a very informal event and the big Wedding in Europe had cost quite a bit. 

All the information was printed on one side of a letter-size sheet.  Also no problem there.  All the information was complete including directions to the site and suggestions for public transport.

The problem was the other side of the sheet.   Both The Bride and Groom loved Renaissance art.  The flip side of the invitation was a full-sheet, full color reproduction of a 'Venus and Adonis' with the faces of the HC photoshopped in.  Picture, if you dare, two sumptuous nudes with two grinning 50 something faces added.   

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
Re: Odd Invitations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »
 ;D That's hilarious!

Jones

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
**giggle-giggle***

Lynn2000

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
Yeah, not what I personally would have spread around at work, though I could see friends and family finding it cute and funny. :)
~Lynn2000

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »
Yeah, not what I personally would have spread around at work, though I could see friends and family finding it cute and funny. :)

Because we worked in an art museum, everybody got the joke.  It was still a shock, though. 

meraki

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »
They sound fun.  ;D

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
At least you weren't really seeing THEM naked... Just a couple of classic sculptures. Could be worse...

Lynda_34

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 02:26:26 AM »
More power to them.

aussie_chick

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:52:02 AM »
I saw that on an Australian website this week and my thought was, if you're already planning on complaining about the gift I choose or don't choose to get you (general you of course directed to the hypothetical couple sending it), then leave my invite off and send it to someone else instead.

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »
That's pretty funny really. I doubt it's real. Or else the couple has a really outrageous sense of humor and everyone on their guest list knows that. If it is real and meant to be funny, I bet the wedding will be pretty entertaining as well.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »
I thought that seemingly endless invitation was hilarious.  It says everything that people are likely to think. It may not have been used for a real Wedding but I believe it may  exist.

In the neighborhood we have a cool card shop that does custom printing for events such as Weddings.  The shop displays some examples in their window and the place is noted for throwing in 'zingers'.  As an example, a very tasteful birth announcement stated that the baby weighed 22 pounds. It certainly gets passers-by to take a look at the windows.   

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »
I saw that on an Australian website this week and my thought was, if you're already planning on complaining about the gift I choose or don't choose to get you (general you of course directed to the hypothetical couple sending it), then leave my invite off and send it to someone else instead.

The part where it mentioned the hideous duvet cover I gave you at your wedding suggests to me that it's funny, not judgmental.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
They sound fun.  ;D

I agree!  Sounds like they have a pretty awesome sense of humor and the fact that they work in the art field makes it appropriate.  I think I'd like those people.   ;D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
The other invitation (the one in the link) is funny too, but in a very different way.  I doubt if anyone really sent that one, but it does express some of the sentiments that occasionally are expressed by both the happy couple and by their invited guests.  Personally I'd laugh if I got an invitation like that.  And I'd attend the wedding -- after checking the appropriate boxes, of course.   >:D