Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

What Herbs or Spices Would You Use With Parsnips?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dazi:
Ah, my favorite root vegetable...

I like to do a roast chicken with roasted parsnips, petite quartered red potatoes, and carrots.  I smother the whole lot in olive oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, onion powder, and lemon zest (or juice...sometimes both)...every once in awhile I'll add a bit of pepper and sea salt at the very end, depending on my mood.  It is SO freaking good.

Outdoor Girl:
I ended up using some lemon thyme that I harvested last fall.  They came out well.

sweetonsno:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on January 31, 2014, 01:51:09 PM ---I'm going to be doing a bit of a marathon cooking session this weekend and one of the things I have is parsnips.  I normally just cut them up and boil them, add a little salt and pepper and maybe a drizzle of maple syrup and call it done.

But I was watching MasterChef Canada and one of the contestants made a parsnip puree.  I'll add salt and pepper and probably a little butter but what other herbs or spices would give it a little kick?

--- End quote ---

Mm, parsnip. I'd try maple, thyme, and cayenne.

You can do oven-roasted parsnip fries nicely in your oven. Coat with canola oil, salt, pepper, and brown sugar, then let roast until they get crispy. Good dipped in apple butter.

Runningstar:
I wash, peel, then slice lengthwise (to about 1/4 inch).  Then dredge in flour w/salt & pepper and then pan fry in butter until brown (on mid heat).  Never ever thought of eating them any other way - but my brother boils and then mashes them for mashed nips.  Parsnips are very expensive around here, wish that they weren't!

Golden Phoenix:
How about a combo idea?

Try roasting them with some honey or maple syrup, a sprinkling of salt, a little rosemary, and cayenne for kick.

Once they're done, puree them.

It's a little more effort but you'd get the lovely caramelised deliciousness of the roasted parsnips in the puree form you want. They do dry out somewhat in roasting though so you'd probably need extra liquid.

I've been known to make roast potato mash, it's familiar and safe but a totally different taste experience, even kids love it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version