Author Topic: Pot, Meet the Kettle  (Read 6908 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Pot, Meet the Kettle
« on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

BigBadBetty

Re: Pot, Meet the Kettle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »
I get what she is saying. You can still be crazy just keep it legal. Miley is in the headlines for distasteful behavior, but she doesn't have a criminal record. I do see the difference. A lot of stars have clubs in their homes so that they can behave however they want without the public knowing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:49:15 PM by BigBadBetty »

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
Didn't she state that one of her most popular songs is about using ecstasy? And isn't that illegal? As far as the advice to build a club and party at home, it would keep him off the street, but maybe "Stop acting like a spoiled, out of control brat" is better advice.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
I have to agree with this. She's eminently qualified to give advice on bad lifestyles. And I find it hilarious that Justin is getting called out by someone his own age and level of crazy...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Promise

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
Smoking pot is illegal in most states as well and I HIGHLY doubt that drinking alcohol is legal in most states before turning 21.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
Drinking age is 19 in Ontario, where Bieber is from, not that that excuses any of his behaviour.

There was an interesting question on local radio last week:  Rob Ford (Mayor of Toronto) was supposedly trapped in an elevator for 45 minutes on the same day Bieber spent the night in jail.  So the question was:  Would you rather be trapped in that elevator with Ford or in jail with Bieber for the night?

My answer was that I'd like to spend the night with Bieber.  I'm mildly claustrophobic and I know I can't take Ford so I picked Bieber.  I figured I could put him in a head lock and lecture him the whole night.   ;D

And yes, I agree that Miley calling Justin out is definitely the pot calling the kettle black.  She's not quite as far down the road as he is but give her time!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »
Smoking pot is illegal in most states as well and I HIGHLY doubt that drinking alcohol is legal in most states before turning 21.

In a great many states, drinking *at home* is in fact legal.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »
I get what she is saying. You can still be crazy just keep it legal. Miley is in the headlines for distasteful behavior, but she doesn't have a criminal record. I do see the difference. A lot of stars have clubs in their homes so that they can behave however they want without the public knowing.

Yeah, this. I don't know either of them personally, obviously, but Miley's OTT behavior is mostly onstage as part of her act, from what I've seen, while most of Bieber's is offstage in his actual life. I kind of see "Onstage Miley" as a character she's created, like a lot of other artists whose shows are pretty wild and crazy.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
Didn't she state that one of her most popular songs is about using ecstasy? And isn't that illegal? As far as the advice to build a club and party at home, it would keep him off the street, but maybe "Stop acting like a spoiled, out of control brat" is better advice.

Using ecstasy is illegal, but as far as I know, there's no law against singing about illegal activities.  ;D Unless there's evidence of her actually using drugs herself or committing other crimes, rather than just singing about them, then I don't see any hypocrisy in her statement that "I'm doing a lot of [bleep], but I'm not doing anything illegal" or in suggesting that Bieber should do the same. Bieber doesn't seem to be listening to any normal, law-abiding adults about his behavior, so maybe another wild young celebrity pointing this out is exactly what he needs.

Also, this was not clear from the text, but Leno was the one who asked if she had advice for Bieber in the video. This wasn't an unprompted statement from Cyrus, as if she thought she was some great authority on behavior. It was an answer to a direct question.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
Drinking age is 19 in Ontario, where Bieber is from, not that that excuses any of his behaviour.

The drinking age in Australia is 18, but that doesn't mean I can drink in the US before I turn 21.

I've often wondered who is supplying the booze to all the underage stars and how they keep getting away with it.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »

The drinking age in Australia is 18, but that doesn't mean I can drink in the US before I turn 21.

I've often wondered who is supplying the booze to all the underage stars and how they keep getting away with it.

Because money.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Iris

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »
Although I'm not really a Miley Cyrus fan, I will say that she does seem to be able to keep focus on her career. Perhaps it comes from being raised by an entertainer. I think her advice probably has some merit to a kid like Beiber. If you say "stop drinking" there's no way a kid like that will listen to you, but if you say "drink all you want, but do it at home where it's legal" (if it is) "because all these arrests won't help your career" then you might get through.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »
Because money.
This. I shudder to think what I would have done with unlimited financial resources at 19.

And most of what Miley does annoys/disgusts/doesn't impress me, but...she's "crazy" like a fox. She knows exactly what she's doing and she's producing exactly the results she wants.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
The stuff Miley gets criticized for is what she does on stage; we don't really hear lots of "Miley drunk at a club" stuff.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
The whole thing put me off about her giving advice to anyone is how she has so little respect for herself. Justin is a train wreck, too, don't get me wrong.

OK, some of you have argued that she is doing all of this stuff in her career - but riding a wrecking ball nude in a video, and that whole twerking thing was just... so sad. So go ahead, Justin, and party at home, but running around naked and simulating sex in public is OK because it's her *career*? 
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver