Author Topic: Pot, Meet the Kettle  (Read 6458 times)

lollylegs

Re: Pot, Meet the Kettle
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »
Hasn't she just admitted to using marijuana and MDMA? She's being a bit hypocritical here. There's no Miley mugshot because she hasn't been caught, not because she's some pristine angel.  ::)

I don't know about MDMA but she's smoked marijuana legally in Amsterdam.

And that's kind of the point of her advice. She's not saying, "Follow my advice and don't break the law ever." She's saying, "Get up to mischief behind closed doors so that your mugshot doesn't end up on the cover of trashy magazines."

Or, as someone else said, "Dude, hide your stash."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:01:08 AM by lollylegs »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
Justin Beiber endangered lives by driving drunk.

Miley Cyrus performs in various stages of undress, shakes her bum and sticks her tongue out.

You don't have to like or agree with Miley's career, but it's insulting to compare the two.

Agreed. Miley was asked to give her advice. As an entertainer, she is winning, whether you like her or not. She isn't a criminal; she isn't disrespectful to the public in her personal life; I've never seen her mug shot. You may not like her style, but it isn't accidental. And as far as singing about drugs goes.....um, so does a lot of music going back decades, from a lot if respected musicians.

Agreed.

One of my favorite songs is Fats Waller's version of The Viper Drag. The first lines are:

I dreamed about a reefer, five feet long.
A mite immense, but not too strong.
You'll be high, but not for long....
if you're a viper.

It was written in 1936. Miley isn't exactly breaking new ground.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
I think this thread is very unfair to Miley.  She was asked a direct question and answered it honestly.  How is that an etiquette breach?  This isn't Bad Taste He!! or Over-Hyped He!!

Perhaps in the Time for a Coffee Break folder, but I don't think it is appropriate here.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
I think this thread is very unfair to Miley.  She was asked a direct question and answered it honestly.  How is that an etiquette breach?  This isn't Bad Taste He!! or Over-Hyped He!!

Perhaps in the Time for a Coffee Break folder, but I don't think it is appropriate here.

You could say the same about any thread really - that it's unfair to the boss/mother/brother/friend/special snowflake who is presented as rude.     But ultimately just because there's a thread discussing the etiquette of the situation it doesn't mean that the person is actually at fault or that the situation is completely black and white, that's kind of the point of discussing it really, to get people's opinions on whether it is the appropriate response/action or not.  I think the majority of posters in this thread have been quite fair to Miley and have expressed that they don't think she was rude at all, just answering a question.  (Even those of us who dislike her!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »
We might well argue that Jay Leno putting Miley on the spot with that question is rude!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
We might well argue that Jay Leno putting Miley on the spot with that question is rude!

Actually, in a lot of ways, it really is. He basically engaged her in gossip.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »
I just don't see it as an etiquette question, unless you consider Jay Leno's baiting question, trying to stir the pot.  But the heading on this folder says that this is not for gossip, but etiquette.

Personally, I am indifferent to Ms. Cyrus's behavior, although I can see both the likers' and the dislikers' stances.  This thread is in the wrong folder, IMO.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy