Author Topic: Bathroom Facilities  (Read 674 times)

kayesse

Bathroom Facilities
« on: December 12, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

We are having our wedding reception on a rooftop of a hotel for around 60 guests. My mum and brother are stressing out because they think the one toilet on the roof is not enough for the guests.
 A bit more info, our ceremony will be held between the courses of a local golf club and after the ceremony, guests can have drinks/canapé at the golf club (with bathroom facilities) while we are having photos. The hotel is adjacent to the golf club where we are having the reception. There are two more public toilets next to the pool on the ground level. We are estimating some of the guests will be staying at the hotel so their rooms will have bathrooms. Although there will be alcohol will be served, I don't think many of our guests will be drinking a lot with a few guests who don't drink at all (and if they aren't staying at the hotel, someone will need to drive)
Am I being rude to guests by not providing enough bathroom facilities and expecting them to share one? My brother thinks if guests are going to their rooms for the bathroom it breaks up the party? Is my mum being a stress-head and worrying over nothing.

Alicia

Re: Bathroom Facilities
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:39:56 PM »
The rule of thumb is one bathroom per fifty people.  You are a little lite on that but not lots. Are their family known to be bathroom hogs?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »
Well, I have to admit that one toilet for 60 people doesn't sound like much to me. And I agree that people traveling to another floor (be it their hotel room or the ground floor) just to go to the bathroom could easily break up the party--some people will get to their rooms and think, "Eh, actually I'm really tired, I think I'll just go to bed."

However, I might bow to the venue's expertise in this. Not that they're the end-all and be-all, but if they normally host parties that large, and they feel one toilet works well, then perhaps it really does. I'm not sure what your options would be, anyway--rent port-a-potties? So perhaps you could reassure your mom and brother by pointing to the venue's expertise, and then let them make an info sheet/note for the wedding website/etc. letting people know where other bathrooms are.
~Lynn2000

Kiwipinball

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »
When you say one toilet, do you mean one set of restrooms (men and women) that will each contain a few toilets? Or do you mean, there's one unisex restroom that has one toilet in it? To me, one toilet for 60 guests is not enough and having the ceremony somewhere with more bathrooms doesn't help much (maybe if you made an announcement everyone should use the bathroom?) How long are you anticipating the reception to be? To be perfectly honest, if I had to go all the way downstairs to the ground level or go to my room, I don't know that I would come back. If it was in the first little bit, I probably would. But after an hour or so, I'd probably just leave, but I'm not much of a partier. If restrooms were available just one floor down, that wouldn't bother me as much.

I will note that I have digestive issues and that has led me to be more aware of restroom situations than others might be (for me, a one bathroom house was a deal breaker - it would bother me too much) so not everyone would feel the same as me. Does the hotel have any advice? Is it usually a problem? Have you already booked it or are you thinking about it? I don't think it's wrong to have your reception there, just be aware that it might become an issue for some people.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
How long of an elevator ride is it from the roof to ground floor facilities? If less than 5 min trip, I think it's fine.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
I think if I left to use the restroom I might not return.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:30:25 PM »
I am not sure what people's alcohol drinking habits have to do with bathroom usage. If someone drinks 4 glasses of water they will need to use a restroom just as much as someone who drinks 4 glasses of wine. I think it sounds like there aren't enough bathrooms and if I end up going to my room just to use the facilities there is a good chance I will decide not to bother going back.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »
I am not sure what people's alcohol drinking habits have to do with bathroom usage. If someone drinks 4 glasses of water they will need to use a restroom just as much as someone who drinks 4 glasses of wine. I think it sounds like there aren't enough bathrooms and if I end up going to my room just to use the facilities there is a good chance I will decide not to bother going back.

POD. I don't drink alcohol, but I would be drinking soft drinks, and they certainly make me need to use the toilet a lot.

menley

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »

Alcohol is a diuretic; it generally increases the frequency.

Promise

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
At this point is there anything you can do to remedy the situation? Probably not. People might just have to wait or go to another floor.

Specky

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »
I would most likely stay until the need to use the restroom arose, then just leave, hitting the ladies room on my way out.

Lots of things take place when a multiple stall/area restroom is available:  make-up applications, fixing one's hair, other appearance maintenance.  Just because it is obvious that there is only one restroom doesn't mean people will change their behaviors to be more accommodating to others.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
I think it sounds fine. There are other bathrooms ( not as convenient, but available) You can't change it and I really don't think it's an issue.

If your mom wants to do something, she can add a little sign to the bathroom that explains the locations of the other bathrooms.