News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 30, 2016, 05:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inviting guests to "afterparty" but not the ceremony?  (Read 1644 times)

cicero

Re: Inviting guests to "afterparty" but not the ceremony?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
I agree with PPs. Having the reception the next day, at a location very close to where the wedding will take place but far away from everyone just has a kind of not-so-great feel to it. It sort of says that you want a destination wedding, with everyone coming to the destination, but without actually inviting them to the wedding itself.

I think I get what you're trying to accomplish. You want the reception the next day after the wedding, but you will still be in the wedding/honeymoon location so you need to have it there. I think you'd be better off having the reception a week or two later, back where everyone (I assume, including you) lives.

I also agree with just saying that you wanted a very small wedding and leaving it at that. Don't elaborate about the logistics of the venue.
I agree with this. I get what you are trying to do, but I think it may have the potential to feel "off" to your guests.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 10:41:54 AM »
A six hour round trip for a party? No. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your wedding is not that important to other people. If you want a big party, great, but hold it where it's convenient for your guests. Have the ceremony in the place that special to you, with the people around you that you want to have there. But if you're going to exclude a lot of  people from that part, don't make them travel a long distance to party with you. To me, that seems very self-centered.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

sammycat

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 06:19:04 PM »
A six hour round trip for a party? No. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your wedding is not that important to other people. If you want a big party, great, but hold it where it's convenient for your guests. Have the ceremony in the place that special to you, with the people around you that you want to have there. But if you're going to exclude a lot of  people from that part, don't make them travel a long distance to party with you. To me, that seems very self-centered.

Pod.  I wouldn't travel six hours round trip for an entire wedding (unless it was for my own child), let alone just a party.