News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 28, 2015, 11:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

The First Dance, dancers are:

Just the Bride and Groom
50 (76.9%)
Bride and Groom, joined partway through by Groomsmen/Bridesmaids in the pairing they walked out of the church in
12 (18.5%)
Bride and Groom, joined by their parents
2 (3.1%)
Whoever gets on the dance floor first
0 (0%)
First dance is the Father/Daughter dance
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Dancing  (Read 1656 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Dancing
« Reply #45 on: Today at 01:10:22 PM »
I'm not even sure what's meant here.

Of course part of many weddings are for show.

Unless you and your fiancÚ walk into a registry office wearing the clothes you happen to have on, there's definitely a show going on. Why flowers and a ballgown, and matching wedding party, and a beautiful cake, and special cars with ribbons on them, etc etc? (I realise that not everyone has all of those things at their wedding)

Beautiful things can be showy, yes, but that is entirely different from treating a solemn (if joyous) occasion as an evening of entertainment for an audience.

Powers  &8^]

The ceremony, perhaps. I don't think a reception is meant to be solemn at all. And it is entertainment in a sense--you're entertaining your guests. You're entertaining them with music and food and whatever else you have there. It;'s not the same kind of entertainment as, say, a play, but it is entertainment.

HannahGrace

Re: Dancing
« Reply #46 on: Today at 03:09:08 PM »
Yeah, maybe i am super old fashioned, but nothing about my reception was a performance or a spectacle. I wore a nice dress, and my now husband wore a suit, but we both do that sometimes, and we didn't ask anyone else to perform a role or wear anything special.