Author Topic: Cats…..a reminder who is in charge  (Read 3383 times)

veronaz

Cats…..a reminder who is in charge
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:25:01 PM »
Okay, we know that cats are independent and it’s said they rule the house - not the owner.

Right before I got my kitty almost 4 yrs ago I bought a blue armchair for my bedroom.  After she settled in, I tried to “make” her do things like:

-I thought the big, soft blue chair was the perfect “perch” spot.  I used to put her in the chair, but she would jump off.  I gave up.  Then, suddenly this past week, she decided the blue chair is her new favorite spot.
-Lay in her pet bed (she would not go near it, then one day after about a year I saw her taking a nap in her bed)
-Lay on my bed (I used to pick her up, coo/talk soft, but she wanted no part of it.  Took about 2 years, but eventually she developed a routine where she would get on my bed after her dinner.  But she almost always jumps off when I go to bed.)

???  Go figure.   :-\

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Cats…..a reminder who is in charge
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:53:58 PM »
We have a very lovey cat named Cosmo who will NOT come when you call him but runs to you when you call the other kitty. And yes, he knows who is who. Stinker!

Jocelyn

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
I wanted the kitties to sleep with me, so I decided I would give them treats at bedtime. They jump up on the bed for their treats, and then run away. The only way I get them to sleep with me is to lower the thermostat.  >:D

greencat

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:48:10 PM »
I frequently get awakened by a small paw tapping my face and a tiny meow letting me know that the kitten is hungry and needs to be fed right now.  Right now.  Immediately.  Why does it matter that it is 5AM?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
We don't give our cats wet food all the time, but if we give it to them too often they start demanding it.

They also pound on the door if we lock them out of the bedroom.

I still remember when DH and I were dating, the cats would watch us "playing scrabble" on the sofa.

greencat

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »
The adult cats are likely to get grumbled at.  The kitten gets what she wants.  She's far, far too little to not have food whenever she wants it!

veronaz

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:15:30 PM »

Cats seem to really resent a closed door.  If I close my bathroom door when doing business, my girl is waiting when I come out.  If I leave the door open a crack while showering, she slithers in.  I have to be careful if she's still there when I step out.

And closets, oh my.  Sometimes I open all closet doors for awhile and she's in heaven!  :)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »

Cats seem to really resent a closed door.  If I close my bathroom door when doing business, my girl is waiting when I come out.  If I leave the door open a crack while showering, she slithers in.  I have to be careful if she's still there when I step out.

And closets, oh my.  Sometimes I open all closet doors for awhile and she's in heaven!  :)

So it's not just mine then. I have to sleep with the door open and keep a spot clear of duvet on the bed for her.
NE England

greencat

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:23:26 AM »
I'm lucky if some members of my menagerie don't try and join me in the shower.  They don't respect water the way cats are supposed to...

diesel_darlin

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 08:08:17 AM »
I just got home from work. I walked into the house and spoke to Bubba. I then went to my bedroom to change my clothes. It took 2 minutes tops. Bubba couldn't wait that long. He had to beat on the door to let me know he was waiting outside.  ;D

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »
I never, ever pull the shades and blinds all the way down. There is always the "cat gap" of 4 inches at the bottom. They *must* be able to see out of all the windows all the time.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Runningstar

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
I only get to cat sit for two weeks a year (DS has terrible allergies or I would have at least 2).  Stinker is a huge, beautiful Siamese mix.  He now loves me.  I am never ever ever allowed to do my nails in Stinker's home.  Cat hair is very hard to keep off wet nails when a large long haired cat decides to pounce on those wet nails.

SiotehCat

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »
This is how I sleep most of the night.

Every night, around 2am, my boy cat starts crying. I call him to the bed. He lays on me and I stroke him until we both fall asleep. 

I can't remember when or how this started.

Shea

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
I'm lucky if some members of my menagerie don't try and join me in the shower.  They don't respect water the way cats are supposed to...

Mine doesn't try to join me, but she gets very upset when I take a shower or bath. Even if I leave the door open, even if the water's off and I'm just relaxing in the tub, she refuses to enter, but lies just outside the door and meows sadly. Maybe she is worried about me, surrounded by all that bad, evil water?

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

sevenday

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »
I have developed a nighttime ritual. When it's disturbed - if I'm up late or go to bed early - the cats are a bit thrown off.  My boy cat will come lay on my bed and wait.  I'll do my nighttime stuff - meds, wash face, pajamas - and then climb into bed after attempting (and usually failing) to pet boy cat.  Inside of ten seconds, Cuddly Cat will appear from wherever she is (lately from the window perch Dad installed in the library) and hop up onto the bed.  I MUST spend between three and five full minutes petting her or she will keep annoying me until she's satisfied.  Then she is allowed under the blanket, where she ... eventually... falls asleep.

When Teleporting Cat suddenly appears at my head and boy cat sleeps on my feet, I know I'm in for a cold or some other icky malady because they only gang up on me when I'm ill. 

I also know that when someone attempts to kill me (i.e. lay across the dark and narrow hallway where they are particularly difficult to see) they are out of food and need refilling.  Sometimes water, or both, but mostly food.