Author Topic: Cats…..a reminder who is in charge  (Read 2994 times)

veronaz

Re: Cats…..a reminder who is in charge
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
^^ awww. bless his heart.  :(

Alli8098

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
My kitties used to be allowed in our room and used to sleep in there at night.  But then I developed asthma and then when we became pregnant with our first child (5 years ago) I completely banned them from bedroom.  To this day every time that door is open I'm trying to catch little fur missiles as they try to get in my room.  Even that cat we got two years ago and was never allowed in there tries it.  Although I found out when I can't get them out of the room I send in the 4-year old and they usually run right back out.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
Yarnspinner, that's exactly what the cat thinks. When I was a kid, we had a cat who would go up the stairs and meow at my sisters' door after they left for college. We had to go up and open the door and let him see that they were not in there, and after a few days, he'd quit. He did the same when I went to college, Mom said. But Ching was an exceptionally smart cat, and he hated to look foolish, so those two facts would combine to make him give up his search quickly.
My DD went off to college this year. During the fall we didn't really notice much change with our cats but when she came home for Christmas the boy cat spent most of his sleeping time in her room with her for the month. Now every time I go into her room he follows me in and walks around meowing for her.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
Mocha woke me up my rubbing her face on my hand and laying on my side two minutes before my alarm went off. I hope she does that again Monday, as that was a more pleasant way to wake up.  ;)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
We had a cat when I was younger that knew exactly what time my sister and I would get off the school bus and would be waiting at the door every day.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »
When I was a girl, our cat Charlie would wait on the back of a chair for the mailman to come to the door.  When he saw him coming, Charlie would race through the kitchen and around to the door, then splat himself over the window next to the door as if defending his home.  The mailman always gave him a scritch through the glass :).  Charlie would look so satisfied.  I think it was the highlight of that cat's day.

greencat

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »
My cats tend to awaken me before the alarm goes off with high decibel meowing an inch from my face.  That is not a pleasant way to awaken. 

Recently, I've moved to a new position with a very different schedule, and my cats keep waking me up - mostly, by tapping me with their paws.  I think they're checking to make sure I'm not dead!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
I used to have a recliner with a fairly wide top on it.  And a cat that loved to lay across the top of the recliner so she was close to me but not too close.  And then the tail would switch in front of my face, like a windshield wiper.  I'd put up with it for a while and then I'd finally just grab and hold her tail.  She'd complain; I'd let go.  We'd do this a few times before she finally got pissed off enough with me to climb down and go lie somewhere else.

guihong, that is hilarious!

I have fibromyalgia.  So good sleep hygiene is really important for me.  The cats are not allowed in the bedroom, ever.  But if I have a snooze on the couch, that's when the cats get to sleep with me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 03:26:22 AM »
I have a closet door without the little thing on the side that makes it close properly. Yes this is important to the story. Because I also have a lovely little house panther. When said house panther decides that mama needs to get him his gushifud breakfast, he manipulates the door in such a way that it bangs against.... well I don't know what.

So I hear BANG! BANG! BANG! for as long as the little brat erm, lovely little darling decides to go on for, which honestly, he's a cat so, its until I get fed up and decided to go feed his sorry little erm I mean wonderful lovely house panther. Did I mention what I wonderful little house panther he was and how much his human mama loves him? *sideways glance*

Send help. Five pointy ends hurt! Also, I think he's building an army. *sends another sideways glance the cats way*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:28:51 AM by Nikko-chan »

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 06:11:33 AM »
We had a cat when I was younger that knew exactly what time my sister and I would get off the school bus and would be waiting at the door every day.

My late and dearly beloved cat Cen - an excellent example of a house panther if ever there was one - knew what time I would get home from work, and met me at the end of the driveway most days. Then I went to Japan for a year on a university student exchange.

According to my housemates, every single day that I was gone, Cen went to the end of the driveway at about the time I would have been getting off the bus, and waited there for half an hour. Then she would come back into the house, sit in front of my room, and meow tragically for several minutes. Every day, for the whole year.

You know that thing cats do when you've been away for a while? "I'm mad at you for abandoning me, so I'm going to sit just out of reach and glare at you like you're a stranger?" Yeah, when I got home she did that for about fifteen seconds, then decided that was enough and plastered herself to me, purring until she was hoarse. :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

BarensMom

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »

You know that thing cats do when you've been away for a while? "I'm mad at you for abandoning me, so I'm going to sit just out of reach and glare at you like you're a stranger?" Yeah, when I got home she did that for about fifteen seconds, then decided that was enough and plastered herself to me, purring until she was hoarse. :-*

When my mother would go on trips lasting more than a day, her cat would be all lovey-dovey.  Once Mom was lulled into a false sense of security, the cat would bite the stuffing out of her.  Then Mom would chase her into the garage and things would be frosty between them for a few days.

veronaz

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
My late and dearly beloved cat Cen - an excellent example of a house panther if ever there was one - knew what time I would get home from work, and met me at the end of the driveway most days. Then I went to Japan for a year on a university student exchange.

According to my housemates, every single day that I was gone, Cen went to the end of the driveway at about the time I would have been getting off the bus, and waited there for half an hour. Then she would come back into the house, sit in front of my room, and meow tragically for several minutes. Every day, for the whole year.

aaawww  :'(

Amazing how pets know what time it is.  My nephew's dog used to get excited and look out the window at exactly the same time every day......a few minutes before the school bus dropped him off.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:26:22 PM by veronaz »

diesel_darlin

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
Awwwwww

daen

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »

<snip>

Oh. my. Poor kitty.

I don't know how my cats did for the year that we were gone - the cat sitter didn't tell us much about that - although they were quite clingy when we got back. I know I was a wreck leaving them behind for a year. Didn't cry about being homesick or missing friends and family, or not seeing my nephew for the first three months of his life,  but I cried about missing my cats.

During that year, I met a woman who was going overseas for three years. She had four cats, which were being rehomed to two places. I just... no, I'm not sure I could do that. Three years? No.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »
We left our cats for about a week while we had our baby moon and wedding anniversary holiday. Our cats were left at home with a woman we hired to come in every day, feed them and play with them. They love her and they're much, much happier at home than boarding somewhere. We stayed with DH's parents for a few days then on our first night in the nice hotel, we got a call saying one of them had had some sort of seizure, so the woman took him to hospital. DH was half resolved to fly back the next day, as he couldn't that night, but did get a friend to stay at our place for a few nights so the other cat wasn't alone. It was an anxious worried night.

Next morning he was eating, washing himself and using his tray so they sent him home, having no idea what caused the seizure. When he got home he was quiet and sleepy but otherwise normal. And when we arrived home he was very much his usual self, barring a few "attacks" (no fits, thank goodness) where we have managed to care for him and help him out.

But it was that night our realised that our cats were more than pets, they're part of our family.