Author Topic: was he correct?  (Read 3899 times)

Kate

was he correct?
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
My husband interpreted for a deaf Father of the Groom at a wedding yesterday. When the families proceeded out of the church after the ceremony, the groom's parents went first , then the bride's parents. My husband followed after the FOTG, thinking it was his job to remain close to him so that he could communicate with guests at all times, but now he thinks the bride's mother may have been offended that he did not wait until after they had proceeded out. What do you all think?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: was he correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
Interesting.
I think he should have done exactly what he did. He isn't there as a guest of honour our on his own behalf. He is an extension of the Farther of Groom.

I think it's a bit like when you have an interpretor between two people. The two people will direct their speech and eye contact etc to each other and ignore the translator. (I'm thinking of diplomatic type situations with a paid translator ofcourse)

Kate

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
Interesting.
I think he should have done exactly what he did. He isn't there as a guest of honour our on his own behalf. He is an extension of the Farther of Groom.

I think it's a bit like when you have an interpretor between two people. The two people will direct their speech and eye contact etc to each other and ignore the translator. (I'm thinking of diplomatic type situations with a paid translator ofcourse)

That is what I thought. To me the interpreter is like a white cane or a seeing eye dog, they are not left behind,  On the other hand, the MOG would have been able to interpret for her husband  for a few minutes.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »

...   That is what I thought. To me the interpreter is like a white cane or a seeing eye dog, they are not left behind,  On the other hand, the MOG would have been able to interpret for her husband  for a few minutes.

That's an interesting point.  Is there any reason why she couldn't have done that?

But I do think your husband absolutely did it right.  I think your analogy to the seeing-eye dog is a good one.

Kate

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »

...   That is what I thought. To me the interpreter is like a white cane or a seeing eye dog, they are not left behind,  On the other hand, the MOG would have been able to interpret for her husband  for a few minutes.

That's an interesting point.  Is there any reason why she couldn't have done that?

But I do think your husband absolutely did it right.  I think your analogy to the seeing-eye dog is a good one.

No reason at all for a minute or two...she is a professional interpreter herself. My husband was there so she is not tied to her husbands side all day and free to mingle with the other guests.

CuriousParty

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
When I have worked with interpreters at events like this, the member of the bridal party has proceeded down the center aisle, and the interpreter has exited by a side door/aisle and met the bridal party in the back.  It is probably best, though, to ask the individual's preference in advance either at the rehearsal or during ore-event discussions.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »

Perhaps because she was observing on her own behalf. It's a very different mindset. She'd want to be free to concentrate on things as a participant, not as an observer.

What a bummer--to miss some of the most important moments in your family because you were spending the whole time interpreting.

It's a very different mindset, I would think.

Kate

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:03:25 PM »
When I have worked with interpreters at events like this, the member of the bridal party has proceeded down the center aisle, and the interpreter has exited by a side door/aisle and met the bridal party in the back.  It is probably best, though, to ask the individual's preference in advance either at the rehearsal or during ore-event discussions.
In this case, no side door or aisle being a small chapel. He was told at rehearsal to go out with everyone else, just not whether he should follow the FOTG or go after the bride's parents had exited...that detail did not come up.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:07:53 PM by Kate »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »
I think he's good.  Probably no one else even gave it a single thought other than maybe the MOB.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
And anyway--I don't think there's any real point of "honor" in terms of who exits--the point is to get everyone out in a format that is "decently and in order." Someone who thinks it matters is someone who's looking to create stuff.

CuriousParty

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »
In this case, no side door or aisle being a small chapel. He was told at rehearsal to go out with everyone else, just not whether he should follow the FOTG or go after the bride's parents had exited...that detail did not come up.

Eh, he was fine I think, it's just a little bit of an awkward setup. You do the best you can.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:22:45 PM by CuriousParty »

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »

If this is what he was told, I think he's fine. If the MOB feels slighted, I personally think she's overreacting a bit.

kudeebee

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 11:30:14 PM »
I think he was fine.  After all, he was sitting with them, so it would be natural that he would exit with them.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:54:53 AM »
Since he was there in his capacity as interpreter, I think he was fine.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »

He did what he was told. If that detail had been important then they should have made sure to discuss it at the rehearsal. If they forgot then they need to just figure that his interpretation of the instructions he was given was for the best. It sounds sort of like he had to just went with his instinct based on what he was told at rehearsal and I don't see that he did anything wrong.

Did anyone actually say anything to him or was it just a look or a feeling he got?
If this ever comes up again, I guess he'll know to ask.