Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

He must have been drunk driving

<< < (2/5) > >>

MrTango:
It's probably not the most polite thing to say, but I'd probably have blurted out "Because there's obviously no possibility that he recently moved here from another country, or had his old license lost/stolen and needed a replacement, or that his old license simply wore out and he needed to replace it.  Nope, none at all."

mom2four:
No. Licenses don't show addresses so you only need a new one if you lose it. I still have mine from 13 years ago - I was late getting one at age 33 and my husband has one from he was 18. But still a very interesting assumption.

perpetua:
Orrr perhaps he didn't learn to drive until later in life - many people don't. What an odd assumption!

GlitterIsMyDrug:

--- Quote from: MrTango on February 03, 2014, 03:01:14 PM ---It's probably not the most polite thing to say, but I'd probably have blurted out "Because there's obviously no possibility that he recently moved here from another country, or had his old license lost/stolen and needed a replacement, or that his old license simply wore out and he needed to replace it.  Nope, none at all."

--- End quote ---

I probably would have said "First hand experience huh?", because if you gonna go around making this assumptions clearly you've got some experience with it. Not that that would've been ehell approved either.

bloo:

--- Quote from: mom2four on February 05, 2014, 09:45:37 AM ---No. Licenses don't show addresses so you only need a new one if you lose it. I still have mine from 13 years ago - I was late getting one at age 33 and my husband has one from he was 18. But still a very interesting assumption.

--- End quote ---

That differs in locality. In the US, a citizen is a citizen of a state, so each person must get a state issued driver's license for each state they call home. I've lived in many of the states and each one I've had a license in had an address. I would think it odd not to have an address on my driver's license, but okay. In my state, Ohio, if I move I have 30 days to get a new driver's license because, by law, we have to have a current address on the license. And the license is only valid for four years and I have to renew it before my birthday.

So between moving and losing purses or wallets I've had to apply for a lot of licenses. And when the different states* went to credit card format it was different but the license format didn't mean anything.

So I would have been really surprised by the assumption postulated by the man in the ski rental store.

I like Mr. Tango's response!  >:D

*I'm assuming all the states, by now, have went to the credit card format.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version