Author Topic: He must have been drunk driving  (Read 5536 times)

mom2four

He must have been drunk driving
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
I ran into a very interesting assumption the other day.

Background: In my country once you pass your driving test your license is valid until you're 70. Around 15 years ago they changed the format of drivers license so they look like a credit card.

I was standing in line to rent skis at a place where they require you to leave your drivers license as a deposit. Before me was a gentleman who was probably around the age of 50. He handed over his drivers license which was of the credit card format and left. After he left the man in the store remarked to me: "Well you know what it means when someone his age has a drivers license looking like that. I looked at him clueless. Then he explained: "well it must mean that he has had his license revoked at some point. Probably drunk driving."

I was too surprised to think what to say but later thought of all those people who get a new license because they had their wallet stolen and have to live with an assumption like that.

123sandy

Re: He must have been drunk driving
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »
Hmmmm, if I even gave it a thought I'd assume it had been lost and replaced. Why couldn't it be new? I'm 50 and I don't have a drivers licence...

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
Does it not show your address?  Aside from normal expiration/renewal, I've had to get a new license several times because I've moved! 

So yeah, I agree -- a very interesting assumption!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
That's a rather odd assumption to make. Where I live the license are good until your 65. However if you move, you'll have to get a new one. If yours is lost or stolen, you have to get a new one. If you change your name, you'll have to get a new one. And of course, if you want to change your picture, all together now, you'll have to get a new one. So if I noticed, I'd probably think of those things happened. Or that maybe the guy just liked the new licenses and he wanted to get a new one so he, so I don't know, got a new one.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »
That's just weird. People move. If you moved into the state you'd need a new one.

Also, how does this work with photos? Do you keep the same photo from the time you are 18 until you are 70?

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »
It's probably not the most polite thing to say, but I'd probably have blurted out "Because there's obviously no possibility that he recently moved here from another country, or had his old license lost/stolen and needed a replacement, or that his old license simply wore out and he needed to replace it.  Nope, none at all."

mom2four

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
No. Licenses don't show addresses so you only need a new one if you lose it. I still have mine from 13 years ago - I was late getting one at age 33 and my husband has one from he was 18. But still a very interesting assumption.

perpetua

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
Orrr perhaps he didn't learn to drive until later in life - many people don't. What an odd assumption!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
It's probably not the most polite thing to say, but I'd probably have blurted out "Because there's obviously no possibility that he recently moved here from another country, or had his old license lost/stolen and needed a replacement, or that his old license simply wore out and he needed to replace it.  Nope, none at all."

I probably would have said "First hand experience huh?", because if you gonna go around making this assumptions clearly you've got some experience with it. Not that that would've been ehell approved either.

bloo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
No. Licenses don't show addresses so you only need a new one if you lose it. I still have mine from 13 years ago - I was late getting one at age 33 and my husband has one from he was 18. But still a very interesting assumption.

That differs in locality. In the US, a citizen is a citizen of a state, so each person must get a state issued driver's license for each state they call home. I've lived in many of the states and each one I've had a license in had an address. I would think it odd not to have an address on my driver's license, but okay. In my state, Ohio, if I move I have 30 days to get a new driver's license because, by law, we have to have a current address on the license. And the license is only valid for four years and I have to renew it before my birthday.

So between moving and losing purses or wallets I've had to apply for a lot of licenses. And when the different states* went to credit card format it was different but the license format didn't mean anything.

So I would have been really surprised by the assumption postulated by the man in the ski rental store.

I like Mr. Tango's response!  >:D

*I'm assuming all the states, by now, have went to the credit card format.

Polly

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
I'd assume he was an internationally wanted criminal who changed his identity regularly to stay one step ahead of the law. >:D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »

I probably would have said "First hand experience huh?", because if you gonna go around making this assumptions clearly you've got some experience with it. Not that that would've been ehell approved either.

Oooh!

That differs in locality.

But mom2four is the original poster, and she's talking about the exact licenses that were in the original story.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »

I'm in Alberta, Canada, and ours do.  My full name, address and postal code are all on my ID (I have a learner's permit but not a license).  Our licenses expire every 5 years and must be renewed, so we all get new ones every 5 years, including updated photos.

That being said, assuming the gent in the OP must have had his license revoked for drunken driving is a very large leap to make indeed.  Like several PPs have said, there are a number of reasons he might have a new license, none of which involve anything illegal.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

veronaz

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
That being said, assuming the gent in the OP must have had his license revoked for drunken driving is a very large leap to make indeed.  Like several PPs have said, there are a number of reasons he might have a new license, none of which involve anything illegal.

This.

I also must point out that I don't agree with giving someone a driver's license 'for life' or even until age 70.  That is frightening.  In many states in the US the license must be renewed every x yrs, and since the 1980s (in my state and others) the person has to pass a vision screening test.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:00:39 PM by veronaz »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:03:06 PM »
For Ontario, you can get your learner's permit, called a G1, anytime after you turn 16 by writing a test.  This allows you to drive with a licensed driver in the front seat beside you.  There are a number of restrictions on where and when you can drive.  Then you take a road test and get your graduated license, called a G2.  There are still a few restrictions with this license.  You have to have it for at least 8 months before you do another road test to get your final license, G.  There are other licenses you can get which allow you to drive other kinds of vehicles like transports.  But you have to have a G license before you can get those.

You do a vision test before you get your G1.

And now you have a license, unless it is revoked by a doctor or due to court charges, until you turn 80.  At age 80, you have to take a seminar and get a vision test.  You used to have to do a written test, too, but now apparently, they do a couple of non-computerized co-ordination/reaction time type tests.  If you do fine on those, your license is renewed for 2 years.  If you don't, you might be required to take a road test or go to your doctor for a consultation.  Every two years, you repeat the process.

Our addresses are on our licenses so if you move, you have to get a new one.  I think you have 6 weeks to do that.  Otherwise, your license gets renewed every 5 years, with a new picture.  But there is no vision test.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario