Author Topic: Dear Abby 2/4/14 - Men's Only Club  (Read 17005 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Dear Abby 2/4/14 - Men's Only Club
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »
Let's see.

There is a club that says its members must wear red dresses and purple hats. But it is rude to tell people how to dress, so the club is rude? No. The members accepted that rule. Since it only affects the club member, it is up to them (except if there is budget concerns over the price of the dress and hat).

There is a club that says everyone must meet in a cafe once a month. If someone can't go to the cafe, then they shouldn't be a member.

A different club organizes outings. If someone can't go to the outings, they shouldn't be a member.

This club asks for an empty house when hosting. If the husband can't offer that, he shouldn't be a member. Simple.

Now, how the husband settles this with his wife is a relationship matter. If he just tells her "get out of the house", he is being rude. If he asks her if she minds leaving for a couple of hours, she can say yes or no. They can make a bargain (she gets a mani-pedi during this time, which her husband pays for from his fun budget). If she agrees and then backs out (without prior warning, like the Bunco husband), then she is being rude.

However, if his wife refuses point blank to leave the house to him for a few hours, then he can't fulfill the requirements to be a member of the club. So sorry.

lollylegs

« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:46 AM »
Let's see.

There is a club that says its members must wear red dresses and purple hats. But it is rude to tell people how to dress, so the club is rude? No. The members accepted that rule. Since it only affects the club member, it is up to them (except if there is budget concerns over the price of the dress and hat).

Nope, it's more like the rule that is that the member's spouses must wear red dresses and purple hats.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »
Let's see.

There is a club that says everyone must meet in a cafe once a month. If someone can't go to the cafe, then they shouldn't be a member.

A different club organizes outings. If someone can't go to the outings, they shouldn't be a member.

This club asks for an empty house when hosting. If the husband can't offer that, he shouldn't be a member. Simple.

Now, how the husband settles this with his wife is a relationship matter. If he just tells her "get out of the house", he is being rude. If he asks her if she minds leaving for a couple of hours, she can say yes or no. They can make a bargain (she gets a mani-pedi during this time, which her husband pays for from his fun budget). If she agrees and then backs out (without prior warning, like the Bunco husband), then she is being rude.

However, if his wife refuses point blank to leave the house to him for a few hours, then he can't fulfill the requirements to be a member of the club. So sorry.

Purple dresses & red hats for the majority of members - the red dresses & purple hats are the leaders of the group or celebrating their birthday that month - at least in the group that I know of (by belonging to it).

Most of us wear purple tops and neutral skirts or pants - as head to toe purple makes even a skinny woman look like she might be a close relative of Barney the Dinosaur!

And there are events, once in a while, that spouses or other family members can come along to - but not all events are open to those who aren't at least eligible for membership but might want to try the event before joining....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:57:40 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Pandora

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2014, 01:44:08 PM »
My DH would be told to hire the Merry Maids and visit Stew Leanard's for his snack trays.

Pandora

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
Two words come to my mind!  "Stepford Wives"... the original 1975 version  >:D

Sorry  >:D

Not exactly, the wife would have to stay there and play waitress.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2014, 06:35:40 PM »
Let's see.

Nope, it's more like the rule that is that the member's spouses must wear red dresses and purple hats.

Did you read the entire post? I was going through all sort of club rules that could be seen as impolite (telling people how to dress, where to go, etc). I address the spouse issue at the end.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
Let's see.

I disagree. Because I do not believe that the club's rules are that the wives must cook and clean. I just don't.

I think the letter writer is drawing that conclusion herself. The structure and word choice of her letter make me think so.
   And I have a hard time thinking that it would even OCCUR to any club organizer, let alone that the entire group of guys would say OK. They might say OK to the idea of being able to hang out in a female-free zone, but I just do not believe that the clubs rule is: "Your wife has to cook and clean to prepare the party space for us."

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
Let's see.

I disagree. Because I do not believe that the club's rules are that the wives must cook and clean. I just don't.

I think the letter writer is drawing that conclusion herself. The structure and word choice of her letter make me think so.
   And I have a hard time thinking that it would even OCCUR to any club organizer, let alone that the entire group of guys would say OK. They might say OK to the idea of being able to hang out in a female-free zone, but I just do not believe that the clubs rule is: "Your wife has to cook and clean to prepare the party space for us."

Well if there was a club with those rules (ie your wife needs to cook for us then leave) a husband who joined , would very likely have this type of attitude in general.

lollylegs

« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
Let's see.

Did you read the entire post? I was going through all sort of club rules that could be seen as impolite (telling people how to dress, where to go, etc). I address the spouse issue at the end.

Yes, I read the entire post. I read the part where you said it's between the husband and wife. Your analogy is still flawed.

Let's see.

I'm not talking about the cooking and cleaning part, I'm talking about the wife having to leave the house part. I'm enjoying the conversation and the differing opinions but I'm firmly convinced that it's rude to make rules about when people are and aren't allowed in their own house.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
I would love to see a Women Only group start up with all the wives who meet at the same time at a different house.

"Sorry dear, no time to cook for your meeting. I'm off to my own meeting."

At least that would solve the "no skirts" rule!

Vall

« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2014, 08:10:05 AM »
If the club actually had a rule that all wives of members must cook and clean for the meetings, wouldn't the club also need a rule that all members must be married?  Unless this is a couples-only retirement home, there are probably men there who are divorced, widowed, or who never married.

Even if they do have this requirement (and I think this is very doubtful), I think the only rude part about it is that the husband voluntarily chose to join the club, after being told the rules.  The rule would only effect the wife if the husband voluntarily chooses to join the club.  The club is not inflicting the rule on the wife--the husband would be responsible for inflicting the rule on his wife by joining.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2014, 01:54:47 AM »
Let's see.

Yes, I read the entire post. I read the part where you said it's between the husband and wife. Your analogy is still flawed.

Let's see.

I'm not talking about the cooking and cleaning part, I'm talking about the wife having to leave the house part. I'm enjoying the conversation and the differing opinions but I'm firmly convinced that it's rude to make rules about when people are and aren't allowed in their own house.

I agree. Perhaps the clothes analogy could have been better expressed as "spouses must NOT wear the colour blue when the Club is meeting". But such a rule would still be rude.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
Let's see.

Let's see.

But so many people wouldn't have an issue with the rule. So I don't find having a rule that only club members may be present in the home when the club is meeting is rude.

The rudeness comes when a family member joins a club with this rule when the other family members do not agree with the rule. So the husband is rude for joining a club with the rule since his wife doesn't want to leave. The wife is wrong for wanting to change a club rule for a group yo whom she doesn't belong.

But I'll never see how the rule is wrong.

lowspark

« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »
Let's see.

POD. It's actually ridiculous because the rule would be unenforceable. Is someone from the group going to go over to this week's host's house and oversee the wife doing the work in order to make sure it happens according to club rules? Of course not.

I agree that the wording of the letter makes it sound like in the LW's household the wife is responsible for cleaning and cooking so that when this club comes over, her husband expects her to cook, or in the actual words of the letter, "prepare(s) everything".

It's feasible and not all that shocking that the club rule is "no women allowed" (regardless of the wording used) but it just seems silly that there are any rules about who has to do the "preparing" for the meeting.