Author Topic: San Diago Comic Con  (Read 675 times)

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
San Diago Comic Con
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »
Good morning E-Hellions!

Dh has decided that he wants to attend the San Diago Comic Con in 2015. We are going to combine this with a 3 week tour of the Western USA. The start point is San Diago and we will be flying out of Las Vegas with 3 weeks in between.

We are aussies, and neither of us have been to the US before. I was trying to navigate through the tourist websites, but then remembered I had this awesome resource - E Hell!!

I have a few questions to start with (I am sure there will be more to come as we think them up)

1) We haven't been to a Comic Con before (they are not a big thing in Australia). Is there anything in particular I should know?

2) Looking at possibly hiring a small RV so we can  cruise around under our own steam. Has anyone done this? Best place to look? Will we have trouble parking/getting into places in a large vehicle? We are looking at one of the vans for 2 people, not a massive motor home or anything.

3) We don't mind driving (a bit nervous about the whole drive on the right thing!) What is a total 'Must see'? Thinking the Grand Canyon at the very least.

4) It looks like it will be in July, which I know is your summer. How hot is it likely to get? Will we be ok in a camper, or is a hotel the way to go?

5) Any eHellions live in that part of the country who might be interested in meeting up/showing us around/going for dinner/etc?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: San Diago Comic Con
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
I'm not a vacation expert, but...

Driving in the city with a camper is going to be a bit tricky. But if you think you can manage a large vehicle, go for it! It sounds fun. :) It will be hot in July, BTW. Scorchingly so. But if you make sure to get a van with air conditioning, you should be OK.

The Grand Canyon is nice. So is Hoover Dam if you can find the time to drive up there. And possibly San Diego Zoo.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Seraphim

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
Thanks Blue. I didn't even think of Hoover Dam or the Zoo.

I am not too worried about the size of the car, DH has a truck licence in Australia - more that you all drive on the wrong side of the road!

SoCalVal

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:09:06 AM »
I'll second that it'll be really hot in places like Vegas and parts of Arizona, but it just doesn't get that hot in SD, especially since you'll be near the ocean.  I'm not even sure how hot it'll get at the Grand Canyon since that's Northern Arizona (I just remember going out there Memorial Day Weekend several years ago and found myself quite underdressed in summery clothes -- a lightweight short dress and sandals).

I have to say that I wasn't very impressed with the Grand Canyon (it's huge but, color-wise, not very interesting).  If you're interested in beautifully-colored rock, Bryce Canyon in Utah is amazing (and not very far from Vegas).

It's hard to make a recommendation without really knowing what you're interested in seeing, outside of Vegas and the SD Comic-Con.  I just looked up the Wikipedia entry for the Comic-Con and read how it has really blown up in the past ten years (makes me sad that I never got around to attending before it got so huge...and before I moved away).  The entry states that only advance ticket sales are done nowadays, and they always sell out.

If you're into museums and theatre, then you'd want to make sure to visit Balboa Park while you're in SD.

If you're into historic old hotels, the Hotel del Coronado is also pretty amazing.  They also have a fabulous (but quite expensive) brunch buffet.

If you are into Disney at all, you might want to attend a showing at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood (if you visit LA at all).  A lot of my fellow theatre classmates also would've been the sort to attend a Comic-Con (oddly, I don't recall there being any in LA in the 90s); many of them were not only big theatre and movie fans, but also loved Disney and Sci-Fi.

If you're into theatre, three hours northeast of Vegas is the annual Utah Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City.  It starts previews in June, opens in July and lasts all summer until about two weeks before Labor Day (then it has a short season in the fall also).  It's wonderfully done, and the plays are performed in repertory (I'd always been fascinated with how the actors could juggle playing simultaneous multiple roles).

In Vegas, they have a 24-hour (I think it's 24 hours) pass called the "Buffet of Buffets."  I think you pay a single price and are able to attend nine buffets in that single pass in a 24-hour period.  I couldn't imagine doing more than three buffets in a 24-hour period (late breakfast, dinner then early breakfast the next day), but DH's nice BFF and wife love to do it (well, his wife does, and she's one of the skinniest individuals I've ever met -- blessed with a really fast metabolism).

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »
Part of me would love to attend Comic-Con sometime, because I think I would really be interested in the content. However, in recent years it has become a HUGE deal, with massive crowds, lots of waiting in line, overheated buildings, etc. (at least this is what I've heard from several sources). I just don't think I could handle that type of environment. So take that into account. Book everything possible as far in advance as you can--hotel, tickets to various Comic-Con events, etc.. And when you get there, be flexible with your schedule and the crowds. It would probably be much more enjoyable if you were content to just wander around, rather than if you were going because you specifically wanted to see THIS thing and THAT celebrity and so forth.

San Diego is a nice city. I go there every year for a work conference. I'm not sure where Comic-Con is held but I always stay in a hotel on a street called Hotel Circle, which has... lots of hotels on it. My dad didn't like the freeways with all the complicated exits, but if you study a map in advance and use a GPS while there you'll probably be fine. Some of my colleagues rent cars and drive around it quite happily when we attend the conference, even though they're not in San Diego any other time.

I think people tend to forget about San Diego, but it has lots of nice things to see. The zoo is great--huge, lots of walking. Balboa Park is not just plants but also museums and restaurants. I didn't really find Old Town to be that exciting; it was kind of touristy. I've never been to Coronado Island but people rave about it. There's also Sea World and historical stuff like the USS Midway, which is a museum ship now. It really depends on how much time you want to spend in San Diego away from Comic-Con. They have a pretty good public transportation system, with buses, train things, and trolleys. You can get a trolley pass that lets you hop on and off all day with no additional fee--it's a good way to get a tour of the city. I always go there in January and it tends to be cooler than people think--around 70 degrees, with a breeze. I don't know if that changes much in the summer or not.
~Lynn2000

DavidH

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
San Diego is beautiful and fun to just walk around.  The beaches just north of there can be really nice too, but the water is not warm, even in the summer.  In San Diego itself, an RV would be a bit much, you might do better to just skip a vehicle in San Diego and then rent an RV when you plan to leave the city.

The drive to Vegas will take most of a day from there, and although part of it is likely to have heavy traffic, once you get past the LA metro area it's not bad.  I'd avoid doing it on a Friday afternoon though.  Past Vegas is Bryce, Zion and some other national parks that are amazing desert scenery.

Alternatively, you can make a nice loop.  From San Diego to the south rim of the Grand Canyon (the part most people think of) which is mostly desert.  Then head east around it, see Lake Powell which is a huge man made lake in the desert and worth a day or two, and then head to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which is a deciduous forest and totally different than the South Rim.  Consider renting a boat or jet skis for a day on Lake Powell.  From the North Rim, head up to Zion national park and spend some time there too.  From Zion, it's a short drive to Vegas.  Alternatively, from the North Rim you could heat to Canyonlands National Park, then down to Bryce, then Zion and back to Vegas.  It all depends on how much time you want to spend in each place.

July in Utah and Arizona can be HOT, as in 100-110 and very dry so you need to drink a lot of water.  Hiking during the mid day can be very strenuous because of the heat.  San Diego won't be too bad and the North Rim of Grand Canyon won't be either since it's at a high elevation. 

I've spent a lot of time in that area, mostly in an RV.  An RV allows you to stay in the parks, and I think you see more of the scenery, but they can use a lot of gas and the mileage charges can add up quickly.  I'd suggest mapping out the driving.  A rental car and hotels can be less expensive, but hotels near the parks fill up in the summer, so you need to book soon.  You also pay for location, so the prices may seem high for what you get.  Another plus with an RV is that you can save on meals if you cook yourself. 

Once you leave Southern California, there is a huge amount of open space, so driving shouldn't be bad.  Just remember, if the driver is on the curb side of the vehicle, you're on the wrong side of the road. 

One final thing, July 4th is a big deal.  It's fun to be around the celebrations and fireworks, but you need to book early since many people take that week or part of it off and see the parks.

HorseFreak

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »
Just so you're aware, 2013 SDCC sold out in 90 minutes and was a nightmare to try to purchase badges. This year you have to buy days individually, there are no 4 day passes (which might be good for you).

Seraphim

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
Thanks guys - I really appreciate all the ideas!

I knew SDCC was a big deal, and the plan was just to wander and look, but I didn't realise it was THAT bigger thing.

Maybe I might try to sweet talk DH into a different Comic-Con instead.

I am so looking forward to seeing the 4th of July in the USA. We see so much on TV, movies etc and it is going to be really cool to be there in person.

DavidH

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:13:02 PM »
Since the idea of a 4th if July here interests you, I'll add it's very different in a big city vs. a small town.  Small towns tend to have a parade and fireworks, but on a different scale and with a more home town feel.  A big city can have an over the top display, but it doesn't, to me at least, have the same vibe.  I saw fireworks over Lake Powell one year that was a lot of fun, more along the small town side of things, but with a lot of tourists, since it is a popular summer vacation spot.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:02 AM »
San Diego native here....I really don't recommend a camper unless it has really good air conditioning.  July temperatures in San Diego run the gamut between 75-90 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the year and weather.  Last year wasn't too bad, but the year before that was absolutely sweltering and miserable.  Like others have mentioned, if you want to go to Comic Con you're gonna have to be prepared to buy stuff quickly.  Traffic around downtown becomes unbearable and hotels are pretty much booked months in advance so be sure to make reservations ASAP.