Author Topic: Lobster stock and other questions . . . update: LOL! Have you ever done this?  (Read 754 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
The other day I bought 2 live lobsters and boiled them the way I usually do (about 15 minutes in a full boil) . . . it's been probably 5 years since I made live lobsters but always had great success.

I don't know if I did something wrong or if these were just unusually tough shelled. They were pretty much impossible to break into.* Does overcooking do this? The meat that we were able to get out was tender and tasty so I don't think they were waaay overcooked if at all.

Does the size of the lobster make a difference in the toughness of the shell? These were about 1-1/2 lb. each.

Anywhoo, I'm left with a bunch of shells withe some meat in them. I know there are a couple of claws, 1 unbroken body, the heads and all the itty bitty legs. So I thought to make a stock out of the shells in order to make some soup. (I froze the shells)

Does anybody have a good recipe for lobster stock? Would this stock be good to use as a base for clam chowder?

Any thoughts, tips and ideas would be appreciated.

*We tried everything to get the darned shells to crack from nut crackers to a hammer.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:59:15 PM by jpcher »

MissNomer

Re: Lobster stock and other questions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:56:59 AM »
I have no idea what went wrong, but I do have a basic lobster stock recipe:
Ingredients:

Shells and legs from 1 to 2 pounds lobster (about 4 loosely packed cups)
onion, sliced (optional)
carrot, sliced (optional)
celery stalk, sliced (optional)
Steps:

Combine all the ingredients and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to very low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
Cool slightly, then strain, pressing on the shells to extract as much juice as possible. Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a few weeks.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

hajisaurus

• my personal blog - adventures of an awkward girl IRL
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »
Lobster shells are indicative of the temperature of the water in which they are caught, I think. The colder the water, the thicker the shell. So, considering it's winter (I assume you're northern hemisphere), the shells will be naturally thicker.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
Thanks, MissNomer, for the recipe. That's pretty much a standard stock recipe and I wasn't sure if there should be something else for a seafood stock. I did add some rosemary and lemon . . . it turned out quite tastey!

Plus my clam chowder was pretty darned awesome, starting with the great base. ;D

Interesting point, hajisaurus. I'll have to remember that next time I make lobster.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
So, I have this really nice, tasty left-over lobster stock in my freezer . . .

Last weekend I had guests over for dinner and served salmon with wild rice. Usually for my wild rice I use a chicken stock. While I was at the grocery store I saw a seafood stock and thought that would work well with the wild rice since I'm serving seafood.

So I bought a quart.

Rice is simmering away with the store-bought stock and I went to my freezer to get some ice and I saw . . . yup, my frozen homemade delicious lobster stock. ::)

I just had to laugh at myself because this is not something that I normally have on hand and stupid me forgot about it.

Do you ever do anything like that?

cicero

• Super Hero!
So, I have this really nice, tasty left-over lobster stock in my freezer . . .

Last weekend I had guests over for dinner and served salmon with wild rice. Usually for my wild rice I use a chicken stock. While I was at the grocery store I saw a seafood stock and thought that would work well with the wild rice since I'm serving seafood.

So I bought a quart.

Rice is simmering away with the store-bought stock and I went to my freezer to get some ice and I saw . . . yup, my frozen homemade delicious lobster stock. ::)

I just had to laugh at myself because this is not something that I normally have on hand and stupid me forgot about it.

Do you ever do anything like that?

what, you mean those bars of chocolate i keep in the freezer, and then forget about and buy new ones to bake my brownies?

nah, i never do that! >:D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

lowspark

Are you kidding? All the time. I either buy extras of what I already have, or skip buying something I need because I'm sure I have some at home already. And yes, I do make lists. But I still do silly things like that.

How did the rice turn out?

Now, the thing to do is to immediately plan another seafood meal for some point in the future and this time, have it in your head that the entire point of the meal is to use the lobster stock. In other words, plan your meal around the stock itself. That's what I do when I find I have too much of something on hand or when I realize I've got something I've forgotten about but really want to eat!