Author Topic: getting someone to be quiet at the theater  (Read 1868 times)

Lizard Happy

getting someone to be quiet at the theater
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »
A few years ago I was at an off Broadway show I had really been looking forward to seeing. Before the show started, I heard the people behind me chatting about how much they loved the show. I can't remember exactly what was said, but it was something about them being a group of theater students. The one guy starts singing along to the different songs they are playing before the show has started, but I figured he'd stop once they dimmed the lights. He then turns to his friend and goes "I love this show! I know all the songs and I'm going to sing along!" Wha? Surely he is joking. The lights go down, intro music is playing, he is still singing. Ok, I'll give a minute. The actors come out on stage and HE IS STILL SINGING. Um seriously? I did not pay to hear someone singing off key behind me, and was pretty shocked a theater student would be that disrespectful at someone else's show. At this point, I turn and give him the Mom Stare. He slowly trickles off, and kept his mouth shut for the rest of the show.  :) glad to know my Mom Stare works when I eventually do have kids!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: getting someone to be quiet at the theater
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »
I have a huge problem with people like this.  Usually the Miss Manners Glare of Doom accompanied by the Single Raised Eyebrow is adequate to the task. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »
When I was in university, Disney's 'The Jungle Book' was playing a revival at the campus theatre.  A friend and I, both of us knowing many of the songs, went.  We were sitting behind a mom and her son, 4 or 5ish.  We were singing along with 'The Bare Necessities' and were treated to a very angry glare.

By the 5 year old.

Put us into a giggle fit but we did stop singing and got ourselves calmed down and were quiet for the rest of the show.

But a live theatre production?  Unless the audience was meant to sing along, we wouldn't.  And had this been a regular theatre, we probably wouldn't have sung, either.  It was just hysterical, though, to be corrected by a 5 year old.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
If this guy was a theater student I bet he's failing.  You just don't do that at a live performance (or a filmed one for that matter, unless it is advertised as a sing-a-long).

Glad the Mom Glare worked for you.  If it hadn't you would have been well within your rights to contact the theater manager or usher and have him removed.

Margo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
Glad to know your Mom glare worked.

My worst theatre experience was a performance I attended at the Globe  theatre - the man seated behind us was with his non English-speaking girlfriend,, and was translating (or summarizing) the dialogue to her. At normal, conversational volume.  During the performance.  He was very indignant when, after glaring didn't work, several people told him to be quiet. He claimed that this was unreasonable as he  "needed" to translate for her.

It would have been rude in any production, but what struck me was that The Globe has a shop right next to the theatre, where you can buy Shakespeare translated into a vast range of languages, plus, the couple arrived early, so there was every opportunity for him to have translated the plot synopsis for her before the play started.

Southern_Continent

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »
Early in our marriage, we saved up to go the Shakespeare Festival in our state, because they were putting on my favorite play, MacBeth, in a very unique and intimate setting. I was so excited - my husband even decided not to go to that one play so that we could afford to get me an awesome seat for it. Then a family with a 5 year old walked in and sat right behind me. I was a little taken a back, as the website and the program had specifically said that this particular play was not appropriate for younger children. You guessed it, the kid was confused and talked through the entire production - even causing one of the actors to have a brief slip in character when he reached out to grab at a knife as they walked by during one scene.  Did the parents try to shush him? No - they actually answered his questions in a normal speaking tone of voice! The actors were raising their voices to talk over them! Multiple people complained to ushers at intermission (due to the way it was staged, the ushers could not intervene during the play itself). The family would NOT leave, insisting that this was an educational opportunity for their SS. I was almost in tears - I asked if I could come for another performance but it was sold out until long after we were gone from town. The Festival should have done more I guess, but the family just parked their butts and wouldn't leave, they couldn't exactly get cops their without disrupting things any more in the short intermission. I actually said to the parents something along the lines of, "I think he's a little young for this production - a lot of people have spent a lot of money and traveled a long way, if you can't keep him quiet could you please take him out now?" The father ignored me and the mother said in a very sarcastic, snotty tone of voice, "Oh, we're so sorry our SON is bothering you." It's been a long time and it still makes me so angry that they ruined a special, once-in-lifetime opportunity.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »
A five year old at Macbeth? Taking them to Shakespeare is a big ask anyway.

I must confess that I did sing a little very quietly to myself when DH and I went to see The Lion King, but it was at the end of the Circle of Life which is very loud and I didn't disturb anyone.