Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Health Advice When You're Pregnant, Everyone Has Some

<< < (2/19) > >>

Lynn2000:
Like in the "treatments for mom" thread, it seems like sharing stories or advice about medical situations (pregnancy, but also other things like surgeries) is a universal human trait as we search for some way to relate to the other person. Mostly, I think people are well-meaning; but when they share something negative, I think they are clueless morphing into rude. You've got someone who has an upcoming THING happening, probably is nervous about it, and your thought is to tell them about the horrible thing that happened to you when you had the THING? That's just not nice. Though I think it's mostly people just not thinking it through, rather than being deliberately malicious.

I had my wisdom teeth out late, for example, and wow, everyone had a wisdom teeth story about them or their brother or their neighbor, and of course it's not a STORY you remember unless something dramatic and horrible happened. ::) As it turned out, I did have some complications with mine. But now when someone says they're having their wisdom teeth out, I tell them the story of my friend's DH--he left work early on Friday, had the procedure, and by Sunday was eating regular foods again. I figure that might make them feel a little bit better; and if their case is more complicated, their doctor can explain things to them.

HorseFreak:
If you put together all the advice for pregnant women about what to do/not do and eat or not eat, you'd be left with nothing but intravenous nutrition in a hospital bed for 9 months.

If you do everything "right" things can still go wrong. If you do everything "wrong" (drugs, alcohol, sushi) your baby might still be a perfectly healthy genius.

Alli8098:
cutejellybean, I have to do at least one cup of coffee a day.  I am also prone to migraines when I'm not pregnant.  Plus I was diagnosed with ADD as a child and while I've mostly "grown out of it", I need that stimulant to jump start my brain.

And I've been subject to more health advice that couldn't be helped.  I was so sick all the time and losing weight in the beginning of my pregnancy and I eventually manifested symptoms of gallbladder disease.  So after getting through to the second trimester (surgery at that stage is less risky for the baby) they surgeon removed my gallbladder last Tuesday.  And boy when family and friends found out I was having surgery I got a lot of support and a lot of questions about it being safe for the baby.  I got tired of answering that one as I kept wanting to say "why would the Doctor's do it if it wasn't safe?" but I didn't want to be snarky.  I'm sure as the pregnancy progresses I'll get even more advice, and even more after the baby is born even though this is not my first rodeo. ;)

QueenfaninCA:
Latest research says up to 150mg caffeine per day are OK and are actually preferable over no caffeine and a mom who is grouchy because she can't have her coffee in the morning.

Alli8098:

--- Quote from: QueenfaninCA on February 05, 2014, 12:56:14 PM ---Latest research says up to 150mg caffeine per day are OK and are actually preferable over no caffeine and a mom who is grouchy because she can't have her coffee in the morning.

--- End quote ---

My husband would say "drink that coffee" instead of facing a grouchy pregnant wife, lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version