Author Topic: Health Advice When You're Pregnant, Everyone Has Some  (Read 11968 times)

pwy a wyr

Re: Health Advice When You're Pregnant, Everyone Has Some
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
I'm significantly less active than that now and I'm not pregnant.  ;D

lorelai

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »

There is prescription medicine that can help you produce more.  I know a woman who is on it.

This is part of the problem though - there's kind of this assumption that people haven't already tried everything before making the decision that's right for them and their family.    (Or even if they haven't tried everything, that they've tried what they're comfortable with / as far as they want to go). 

Obviously if somebody asks for advice it's great to give it, but what I see quite often is when somebody isn't breastfeeding people start to say "but why didn't you just express / take fenugreek / try harder" or whatever the case may be, forgetting that the person probably hasn't made the decision without due consideration.    I know people raised their eyebrows when my son decided to wean himself at 7 months.  And yes, if I'd chosen to, I could have kept expressing or perhaps tried even harder and longer to get him to continue.   But I decided not to - he'd loved feeding, but I wasn't going to force it.   I'm a big believer in breastfeeding but an even bigger believer in living a happy and relaxed life and having a happy baby, and how that works out is different for every family.

Agreed completely! Unsolicited advice seems to flow when it comes to others' pregnancies.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:19:22 AM by lorelai »

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »
It's selfish, but my main concern when with a pregnant woman is always, "What if she hurts herself and *I* have to figure out what to do?!"  :P I am not the person you want in a crisis. When my friend Amy was pregnant (twice) and we were going out to lunch I would think to myself, "Okay, if something happens, I grab her phone and call her DH Adam. Crud monkeys, how do I use her phone?! Where are we? Can he track us with GPS?" Keep in mind we were always within the same town. ::) "But who do I call if he doesn't answer?!" FTR, we never had a problem.
~Lynn2000

123sandy

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
At least unwanted pregnancy advice only last for a few months. It seems unwanted parenting advice never stops!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »
Oh the things we reveal on social media, and this one's on me.  This is harmless, I found it annoying at the time, but find it amusing now.  About 2 weeks ago I had a terrible migraine and I'm pregnant.  So I can't take "good stuff" to knock it out.  I took some Tylenol and had a little caffeine hoping that would kick it.  I put up my status on Facebook about my migraine and said that I hoped the Tylenol and caffeine would help.  (side note: why do we sometimes feel compelled to put up statuses that others don't necessarily care about, me included?)  Anyway, my husband's second cousin responds that caffeine is not good for the baby.  I didn't respond, I just did a complete silence thing.  It was annoying at the time because my Doctor and I have discussed caffeine and small amounts are ok.  I find it funny now because I put myself there personally and should expect someone would say something, and this cousin was well-meaning.  Subsequently the next night I ended up in the ER for 5 hours being treated for the migraine, but it finally went away.  I'm almost 17 weeks now and the baby is doing great.

1. Caffeine can help some painkillers work more effectively.
2. None of her business.  Your body, your baby, your choice.

Total silence is totally the way to go here!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
At least unwanted pregnancy advice only last for a few months. It seems unwanted parenting advice never stops!

LOL! Isn't that the truth!

Frog24

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
LOL! 

Sorry if this changes the topic a bit, but my two pieces of parenting advice to new parents are:

1) Always stand perpendicular to the baby during a diaper change.  (It's amazing how far things can squirt, and you don't want to be in the line of fire.)

2) You are the parents and decide what's best/right for the baby.  No matter what anyone else (non-medical) tells you, the final decision is yours, and that makes it the right one.

Minmom3

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »
The one piece of advice I saw demonstrated was for diapering boys -  as SOON as you undo the diaper, plop a cloth down over the penis, that it was the cold draft hitting it that caused the 'urine fountain' and the cloth prevented that.... 

I thought that was especially brilliant, given that I had all girls, and had never changed a boy's diaper!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Katana_Geldar

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »
I had all that advice (including the teepees!) but never bothered and never got peed on by my son.  At first I was so paranoid but it just never happened so I got really relaxed about getting the new nappy(diaper) on him because there was no rush!   Whereas my cousin who has 3 daughters claims to have been peed on many times during changes....  another one of those exceptions that proves the rule perhaps.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Alli8098

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
I had all that advice (including the teepees!) but never bothered and never got peed on by my son.  At first I was so paranoid but it just never happened so I got really relaxed about getting the new nappy(diaper) on him because there was no rush!   Whereas my cousin who has 3 daughters claims to have been peed on many times during changes....  another one of those exceptions that proves the rule perhaps.

My baby brother (now 26) frequently peed on whomever was changing him.  My daughter got me twice during her first month but never after that.  We'll see what the new baby does being a boy and all.  :)

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »

My baby brother (now 26) frequently peed on whomever was changing him.  My daughter got me twice during her first month but never after that.  We'll see what the new baby does being a boy and all.  :)

We find out next week whether this one is a boy or a girl - I actually love the idea of another little boy, but I admit I'm curious to see if a girl is very different or not!   :D
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

earthgirl

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
You ever seen these?

http://www.nursingangel.com.au/products/Pee%252dPee-Teepees-(5pk).html

I have the pee pee teepees.  The only thing they've really been used for is as little hats to make my son laugh when he's grumpy, they don't seem to want to stay on the part of the anatomy they claim to have been designed for.  But he's almost 14 months and I think I've been peed on twice.  Every baby is different.

As is every pregnancy.  Yet many women who have experienced their own pregnancies, as well as some who haven't, are going to give you their opinion. 

Secret

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »
I drank 1-2 coffees my entire pregnancy.  I craved it.  (except in trimester 1 both times).  I also drank diet pop.  Same thing.  I craved it.  I felt so guilty about the one diet pop per day and still worry about some health issue cropping up in the future. I just couldn't seem to quit. Some weeks I'd maybe 5 pops in a week.  My boss did say something snarky to me about it.  and I seethed inwardly.  I know I wasn't making the best decision and it hurt.

I also thought about all the chemicals I was putting in my body with pretty much everything that was store bought and not raw/organic. etc.  It is very overwhelming being pregnant and following the newest advice and not being judged.  If you are not eating something bad for you, maybe you're doing something you shouldn't. Sigh.

then after the pregnancy, why aren't you at pre pregnancy rate 6 weeks after birth?  I am lugging around 10 additional pounds from pregnancy 1 and 10 more from pregnancy 2.  plus I was 10 lbs extra before I got pregnant.  I run 3x per week, not far, just enough to keep myself active.  I hope to return to pre pregnancy running form in a year or two. Someone asked me how my running was going (6 months post partum).  I said I was dong 3x per week 20 min, but hopefully I will start to be able to increase my running to 5 and 10 k.  The person said how good I was doing.  I was kind of perplexed. Good?  He mentioned that babies are hard and running after 2 kids and getting your strength, stamina and flexibility back all take time.  I guess you just hear about the people who run marathons before, during and after baby and do other things.  He said, mainly these people are genetically blessed or it is their jobs.  It doesn't happen to the average person.

I will admit that I was a judgy breastfeeding person before giving birth to my first.  Someone said she nursed for 6 weeks and I was thinking some not nice things about how easily they gave up.  Guess who didn't even make it 2 weeks breastfeeding my first?  Humble pie for me. but my second one is breastfed and has been for 6 months.  I have been tired as the baby has been getting up in the night for an extra feeding My mother in law made a crack about how if i still "Insisted on nursing." 

the bottom line is that you can't win.

CakeEater

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
I will admit that I was a judgy breastfeeding person before giving birth to my first.  Someone said she nursed for 6 weeks and I was thinking some not nice things about how easily they gave up.  Guess who didn't even make it 2 weeks breastfeeding my first?  Humble pie for me. but my second one is breastfed and has been for 6 months.  I have been tired as the baby has been getting up in the night for an extra feeding My mother in law made a crack about how if i still "Insisted on nursing."   

I always say that I did my best parenting before I had children.

In some ways, I'm actually happy that I've been brought down a peg or two in the parenting stakes. I think it gives me compassion for others that I wouldn't have had if I'd had easy babies and managed to do everything pretty perfectly.