Author Topic: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)  (Read 58574 times)

kymom3

Re: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
Years ago, when DS1 was a baby, I worked at a nursing home.  I am not a nurse, I worked in another capacity.  When I first got the job, I loved it, the administrator was wonderful, staff was great, the residents were well taken care of.  Then, new owners came in, had inexperienced administrator, staff went to heck, not so great place anymore, for employees or residents.

SO---it was somehow determined, scientifically, that our area would experience an earthquake.  Earthquakes aren't unheard of here, but not super common either.  The owners ordered everyone, that if the earthquake happened, we were to come in to work immediately!!  No excuses!! 

I thought, yeah, like I'm going to leave my baby, and drive 20+ miles to work, assuming the roads are even passable--not going to happen!!

I ended up getting fired from that job, which motivated me to finish grad school, so turned out great.  After I was gone, the nursing home and a couple of others they owned were cited for multiple offences and had to pay huge fines.  I would love to know what happened to the owners.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
Years ago, when DS1 was a baby, I worked at a nursing home.  I am not a nurse, I worked in another capacity.  When I first got the job, I loved it, the administrator was wonderful, staff was great, the residents were well taken care of.  Then, new owners came in, had inexperienced administrator, staff went to heck, not so great place anymore, for employees or residents.

SO---it was somehow determined, scientifically, that our area would experience an earthquake.  Earthquakes aren't unheard of here, but not super common either.  The owners ordered everyone, that if the earthquake happened, we were to come in to work immediately!!  No excuses!! 

I thought, yeah, like I'm going to leave my baby, and drive 20+ miles to work, assuming the roads are even passable--not going to happen!!

I ended up getting fired from that job, which motivated me to finish grad school, so turned out great.  After I was gone, the nursing home and a couple of others they owned were cited for multiple offences and had to pay huge fines.  I would love to know what happened to the owners.

I've got to wonder if it's the same group of nursing homes I used to work in cause I had a very similar experience.  The new owners were ALL about the money and cared very little about the residents.  I wasn't a nurse or CNA but like you, worked in another capacity. 

We had a major snowstorm, I think there might have been some ice too, one year and despite insisting my department (recreation) was "Useless cause it doesn't take any effort to pop a movie in for a group of residents!" he insisted EVERYONE come in and if you can't drive we'll come get you!  I could see doing this for the folks involved in patient care like nurses, CNA's and such but if our department is so "useless" than why did we have to risk our necks to get there?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MrTango

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in another thread at some point, but it seems to fit here:

A company I used to work for decided that they were going to start a "social media" campaign.  For the record, I worked in a particular type of group benefit (i.e. a benefit plan purchased by a company for its employees), so we didn't sell to individual consumers.

They wanted each employee to go on to Facebook and "like" the company's FB page.  In exchange, they decided to unlock Facebook so we could access it from our work computers.

With my boss (and her boss) standing in my cubicle, I openly refused, giving these reasons:
1) My Facebook page does not belong to the company, and therefore the company does not have any right to use it for their advertising.
2) The company's electronics policy is that any activity on their computers is subject to audit and review, and nothing we do on our workplace computers can be considered private.  Therefore, by logging in to Facebook from a work computer, I would be giving them my username and password, which I refused to do.

They didn't like that answer, and threatened to involve HR.  I ended up calling the corporate Ombudsman and HR myself to report their threats.  Unfortunately, neither of them were fired, but at least they never mentioned Facebook to me again, which is good because my next phone call was going to be to the sleazy TV news station in our town that would find a way to sensationalize the heck out of an employer demanding access to its employees' FB accounts.

Chelsealady

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
I was working retail as a manager of a store. That was open 24/7 and 365 days a year.  At one point I worked a whole year with a total of one day off.  But my numbers were good that year.  I trained an assistant and started taking one day off other week. Then we had a period of time where we were getting stolen blind.  We reported it, documented it, and did every thing we could do to stop it. Inventory time came around and we had a bad month.  I got documented for failure to control inventory and was told that I should not take off because I should care about my job.  Eighteen months with a total of 13 days off.  And I supposedly didn't care about my job. 

I turned in my two weeks the next day. 

Ginger G

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 02:58:44 PM »
My first job as a teenager was working for a veternarian.  She was a good vet, but a terrible people person -  cold, standoffish, would yell at her employees or leave nasty notes over every tiny infraction (perceived or real).  After a year and a half of abuse, I had enough so I gave my two weeks' notice.  During that time I requested a specific day off to attend a concert in another city.  It wasn't a big deal since it wasn't a day I normally worked anyway, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't scheduled anway. 

Then another employee requested the same day off after I did, it still wasn't a big deal since there was enough staff to work that day, but she flew into a rage and told me I couldn't have the day off.  This was after I had given my notice!  I had meekly put up with that woman's crap for a year and a half, and I had had it. During her tirade, she demanded to know when my last day was.  I said "TODAY!!"  (even though I still had a week and a half to go).  Then I stormed out to my car.  Then I remembered that I had brought one of our cats in for a checkup that day and I had to walk back in to get him, which took a little of the air out of my flounce...  :P

hjaye

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »

BG
I work in IT, and as such, we have Disaster Recovery drills, to ensure in the event of a disaster we are able to rebuild the network, restore all the user accounts with the proper permissions, restore all the databases, applications, and files, and do it in the course of a weekend.  We would actually have DR weeks, where a number of us would travel to the location of our DR site (this particular site was in Philadelphia) where we would simulate a complete meltdown of our infrastructure.

The week before we went, I was discussing some of the procedures with my team lead and manager, and they were both emphasizing how important documentation was.  They wanted it easy to read, with step by step instructions so in their words, if only the janitor were available to rebuild the network, he could follow the documentation and get everything back on line.  He also mentioned though that having me able to get my part of network rebuild done as quickly as possible since it was one of the first things they would need.
He told me that "if a nuclear bomb goes off, I want you to be able to rebuild this in a matter of hours"

Now first off, I was working for a large home builder at the time, and the thought of people clamoring to buy houses in the event of a nuclear disaster just struck me as funny.  I looked at my boss and I told him; "Now I don't want you think I'm not a good loyal employee, but I think it's only fair you know this now.  If I look out my window and see a mushroom cloud rising up over downtown Dallas, my first thought is not going to be Gee..... I need to get to Philadelphia and rebuild the network." 

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
My "little" cousin, (he's well into his thirties now.  Gah!), worked PT as a cook at a chain restaurant in high school.  He had requested off for his senior prom well within the required time, but when the schedules for that week came out, there he was, scheduled to work prom night.  He is a very polite young man, and he immediately went to his manager and asked if there were some mistake.  He was told, no, it was busy prom season and too many of the teens employed there had requested off for that night, and therefore, he was expected to work.  He laughed and quit right there on the spot.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
Years ago, I worked in the mental health field.  There was a bit of a shake up (rumor was that the hospital was about to lose a major contract, and my program would be the first to go).  All of us are looking for jobs before the axe fell, and a new supervisor was hired to turn the program around.  Now I like the new boss, Hugh, a lot.  He was trying to make severe programmatic changes, all designed to make the clients' experiences more therapeutic, but I left anyway.

After I left, Hugh contacted me and asked if I was still willing to work 2 nights a week and on Saturdays, running recreational activities.  I did this about 6 weeks, until I happened to run into one of my former coworkers.  It seemed that the old staff was completely gone, and we had all been replaced.  My problem was that all the new staff had at the most Community College degrees (old staff had a minimum of BA, if not Master's degrees), but Hugh had fought hard for the new staff to get good salaries.  So, someone (with a lot less education and experience than I had) had a starting salary greater than my final salary, and I was putting in 12 extra hours a week over my new job to "help" them run the program.

I quit that day.  Let the new people put in the long hours (salaried, not hourly), and when the contract was lost, I didn't shed a tear as they all lost their jobs.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
I tend to think that any company paying me minimum wage and expecting more than minimum effort is demanding of me more loyalty than they deserve. Minimum wage equals minimum effort.

Minimum wage kept me working all through college (or waiting tables for less in the check but at least a chance at enough tips to keep the household income up to EATING & making car payments in the late 1970s).  But it kept me WORKING when I was on the clock, not worrying about what was going on at work when I wasn't on the clock.

I'd sweep, mop, stock shelves, rearrange displays, and wash dishes (fast food - no designated dish washing person or machine in the 1970s - just a sink, disinfectant, soap, rack, and hot water).  I also remember cleaning a few bathrooms as well as serving food (if I was working in fast food)...but I didn't sweat any schedule but my own, called in sick if I was sick, and didn't worry about what was "above my pay grade", as the saying goes.

Once I graduated college & started my first "real job" (one with a career path, medical benefits, a retirement plan, and I was on salary) - then there was a lot more that needed to be thought about whether I was "on the clock" or even whether I was in my office or not.

Loyalty has to work BOTH ways or it isn't true loyalty...too many managers want loyalty from the bottom up but have no idea that they have a reciprocal responsibility....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
Years ago, I worked in the mental health field.  There was a bit of a shake up (rumor was that the hospital was about to lose a major contract, and my program would be the first to go).  All of us are looking for jobs before the axe fell, and a new supervisor was hired to turn the program around.  Now I like the new boss, Hugh, a lot.  He was trying to make severe programmatic changes, all designed to make the clients' experiences more therapeutic, but I left anyway.

After I left, Hugh contacted me and asked if I was still willing to work 2 nights a week and on Saturdays, running recreational activities.  I did this about 6 weeks, until I happened to run into one of my former coworkers.  It seemed that the old staff was completely gone, and we had all been replaced.  My problem was that all the new staff had at the most Community College degrees (old staff had a minimum of BA, if not Master's degrees), but Hugh had fought hard for the new staff to get good salaries.  So, someone (with a lot less education and experience than I had) had a starting salary greater than my final salary, and I was putting in 12 extra hours a week over my new job to "help" them run the program.

I quit that day.  Let the new people put in the long hours (salaried, not hourly), and when the contract was lost, I didn't shed a tear as they all lost their jobs.

That is a really spiteful thing to think about a group of people who had nothing to do with what you were hired for and paid.

I agree and it's not there fault that  their manager fought for them to be better paid.  Salary can very a lot depending on when you  were hired

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
But it did tell her how "highly" her education, skills, and experience were valued (not) - which probably had more to do with her quitting...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

HorseFreak

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
I worked at Target during the holidays after recovering from a horse kick to the chest my sophomore year of college since I was off for the semester anyway. I worked the stock room about 30-35 hours per week until the new year, then got cut to 8-12. A little after Christmas HR put a list on the white board of who they needed to see and it turned out it was all seasonal employees being sacked.

I wasn't on the list, but got called into HR. They asked when my last day was and I told them right before I return to school. They actually had the nerve to ask me to QUIT COLLEGE and continue working there part time for 5 cents over minimum wage. I refused and they asked me to reconsider. Yeah, I'm totally going to leave school for $70/week and no benefits to work in a stock room.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
But it did tell her how "highly" her education, skills, and experience were valued (not) - which probably had more to do with her quitting...

Thank you Vorfemme.   While I understand the OP may have sounded spiteful towards the other employees, I also understand what it is to have your years of experience in a field undervalued and your education denigrated.  My professional coworkers and I have been told that:

1) trained monkeys could do our jobs
2) that we are nothing but overpaid stock clerks

And over the last six months, Stonecold gave out three " junior promotions" to support staff who claim they are getting their masters' in library science.  Not one of these young women have gotten a BA yet and all of them are making as much or more than their predecessors were.  The three of them act as Stonecold's "assistant directors".   None of them know what they are doing, are way in over their heads and are making huge mistakes that are costing us $$$$$.  They refuse (as per Stonecold) to seek advice from senior staff who know what they are doing.

Consequently, senior staff has backed off and let them sink.  Of course, it's Stonecold, so she is turning a blind eye to the mess they are making.  Still, all three are in for a rude awakening as Stonecold repeatedly tells the Board that she has no intention of giving them "full" promotions and will continue to use them to do her dirty work.  And the senior staff knows that if the girls make big enough mistakes, it will be their heads on the chopping blocks....not Stonecold's. 

Unfortunately, we can't work up a lot of sympathy given the way the three of them have treated coworkers who helped them out when they first started.  It may seem ugly of us, but the truth is, they brought this on themselves.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:34:29 PM by Yarnspinner »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:37 AM »
I worked at a place where the beginning wage was changed but the wages of ongoing employees, who had been faithfully working  there for less than they were worth for a long time did not get a wage raise so that the percentage for seniority would be preserved (the employer raised the entry level wage but did not carry this over into the other wage levels for the job for people who had been long time employees).  The beginning people were making the same or more than the old timers.   >:(
We complained and they did fix it but gads, how smart do you have to be to know this is just lousy treatment for loyalty!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
I worked at a place where the beginning wage was changed but the wages of ongoing employees, who had been faithfully working  there for less than they were worth for a long time did not get a wage raise so that the percentage for seniority would be preserved (the employer raised the entry level wage but did not carry this over into the other wage levels for the job for people who had been long time employees).  The beginning people were making the same or more than the old timers.   >:(
We complained and they did fix it but gads, how smart do you have to be to know this is just lousy treatment for loyalty!
Yeah, I wonder about those who are supposed to be doing the math. In my previous work place, we had to agree to a salary cut. I don't remember all the details but they cut one day a week ( which also supposedly cut the expenses of running the place), and they cut our salary by a certain percentage. Let's say seven percent. However, since some people were at the very low end of the salary base, they decided that in order to be fair, those making under 1000$ a month will not lose any pay and from 1001$ they get cut by seven percent. So we ( a few smart people) immediately said that doesn't make sense and they should make the cut rated ( e.g.,, for the first 1000$ zero cut, from 1001-3000 x%, for the next 3001-5000 y% and so on) because what happened here is that people who managed to make a little bit more than the minimum would not be taking home less than those making min wage. So the 1000$ people would be taking home 1000$ and the 1001$ people would be taking home 930$.  Brilliant solution.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools