Author Topic: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)  (Read 58427 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
The HQ for DH's company is in New Jersey (we are in PA).  During the aftermath of Hurrican Sandy one of the senior managers called DH's coworker and told her that generators and gasoline were in short supply.  It had been all over the news so we knew all about it.

Well, Manager asks the coworker to go to the local Home Depot and buy two generators and to fill up about 30 gas cans so he can power his home, beachhouse and 3 cars.  Oh, but he can't drive to PA to get them because the roads are impassable so she'll have to bring them to him.

Did I mention this coworker drives a Toyota Celica?

She was seriously about to do this  ::) when DH said to her "If the roads out of New Jersey are impassable what makes you think the roads INTO New Jersey are clear?"

Manager had to find his own generators and gas.

melicious

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
So when the new schedule came out I was surprised to see I was working grad night. On my break I went and talked to her and explained I would not be working that night, I was going to my graduation. She told me "You already graduated, this is just a ceremony", I said yes, but it was an important ceremony and I was going to which she responded "Well, you're a grown up now, and your work comes first. Everyone else wants the night off, so you gotta work it. You need to show your loyalty to me and to this company". I walked away from her, grabbed my bag and went to the bathroom to change out of my uniform shirt. Which I handed back to her and said "I quit, my loyalty  is to my family who have waited 13 years to watch me walk across that stage" and walked out.

You're my hero!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
The HQ for DH's company is in New Jersey (we are in PA).  During the aftermath of Hurrican Sandy one of the senior managers called DH's coworker and told her that generators and gasoline were in short supply.  It had been all over the news so we knew all about it.

Well, Manager asks the coworker to go to the local Home Depot and buy two generators and to fill up about 30 gas cans so he can power his home, beachhouse and 3 cars.  Oh, but he can't drive to PA to get them because the roads are impassable so she'll have to bring them to him.

She was seriously about to do this  ::) when DH said to her "If the roads out of New Jersey are impassable what makes you think the roads INTO New Jersey are clear?"

So the generators and gasoline are in short supply but he absolutely needs them to power a beach house and 3 cars?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 07:32:56 PM »
Two generators and that much gasoline are going to be VERY EXPENSIVE (we bought one generator and a lot of gas cans & the fuel to run the generator after Hurricane Ike - it was NOT cheap). 

How is getting the money to her for this shopping trip AND a four wheel drive vehicle (or horse drawn sleigh) large enough to take it to his beach house?  He's not getting the money to  her in advance?  Laugh hysterically - whether before or after hanging up the phone depends on whether or not keeping that job with a crazy boss is a high priority.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mary Lennox

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
I used to have boss who, at her worst, fired a bunch of people for getting together outside of work. She would make a big deal about being "a family" and everybody getting along, but when we would get along outside of her control, she would get jealous and overingly critical of us when we were at work.

We were told different reasons why they are fired, but the timing was just so obvious (and they were really good workers too!). It was like she couldn't stand not being part of our social life as well as our work life.

I'd heard stories but I couldn't believe she was that vindictive until I saw it for myself. Needless to say, I got out quick and never looked back! (And I still keep in touch with those friends!)

melicious

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
I used to have boss who, at her worst, fired a bunch of people for getting together outside of work.
What the…? No. I hope someone reported to her, because that's a million kinds of wrong.

Allyson

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:46 AM »
This is nothing to do with work, but someone expecting loyalty...I have an 'acquaintance friend' who seems to expect a friendship-loyalty way too quickly. It's like she's watched all the shows with the super tight groups of friends, and wants that, so tries to force it on casual acquaintances, then gets upset when people don't act the way she wants them to.

For instance, she informed me like she was doing me a favor that I was coming to something she was organizing, that would've been a bit of a time commitment. I said I'd have to think about it, as my schedule was pretty busy, and could I get back to her, and she was quite upset by the fact that I wasn't doing it. She made flat statements like "you're going to do this" in the way that "charmingly bossy" characters on TV do, but really doesn't translate well in real life.

She also was unhappy that people hadn't 'warned' her about a guy she'd briefly dated; we barely knew her at the time, and the rumours about him were not all that unsavory, certainly nothing abusive.

I generally like her, and understand her wanting friends, but I wish I had a way to explain to her that this kind of behaviour is going to have the opposite effect than what she wants...:(

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 03:37:42 AM »
It's like she's watched all the shows with the super tight groups of friends, and wants that,

Urgh. I had to explain to a previous friend that the reason TV shows have these super tight groups of friends is because being that close for so long creates drama. They need drama because they are a TV show. I don't need drama because I am not on a TV show. Space is healthy and normal. Being in each other's pockets is not.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »
It's like she's watched all the shows with the super tight groups of friends, and wants that,

Urgh. I had to explain to a previous friend that the reason TV shows have these super tight groups of friends is because being that close for so long creates drama. They need drama because they are a TV show. I don't need drama because I am not on a TV show. Space is healthy and normal. Being in each other's pockets is not.

Well, it's because the shows are FAKE. And because the people aren't real, and don't need to do things like "see other non-show characters" or "get some groceries" or "go to the dentist" or "go to Cousin Susie's bithday party" (because Cousin Susie is not on the show).

BarensMom

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »

So the generators and gasoline are in short supply but he absolutely needs them to power a beach house and 3 cars?  ::)

I could totally see the female dog I used to work with demanding that of me. 

Whenever there was a high wind advisory on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, she would call and demand that I take whatever she wanted to work on to her house, because "she couldn't drive on the bridge."  Even my supervisor saw the lunacy of me driving across the same bridge in high winds.

Kari

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
Last year my workplace made everyone stay late and work a holiday and weekends to get ahead just because the owner wanted us to, not for any particular reason. We were given a vague promise of "compensation" for complying. Actually, we were voluntold to work extra hours all week, and pressured into doing so, all with the dangling carrot of "compensation" ahead. A year later, still no "compensation" has come our way for doing this. And the company is shocked -- SHOCKED -- that everyone clocks out the second their eight-hour workday is up and no one will work free overtime anymore.

They're also flummoxed as to why we no longer are so far ahead in our work. While no one's breathed a word of a work slowdown, deflated morale has obviously taken its toll.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
So when the new schedule came out I was surprised to see I was working grad night. On my break I went and talked to her and explained I would not be working that night, I was going to my graduation. She told me "You already graduated, this is just a ceremony", I said yes, but it was an important ceremony and I was going to which she responded "Well, you're a grown up now, and your work comes first. Everyone else wants the night off, so you gotta work it. You need to show your loyalty to me and to this company". I walked away from her, grabbed my bag and went to the bathroom to change out of my uniform shirt. Which I handed back to her and said "I quit, my loyalty  is to my family who have waited 13 years to watch me walk across that stage" and walked out.

You're my hero!

A lot of it was my mom. She wouldn't even let me graduate in the fall in less I had a guarantee (she made my principal give it to her in writing) that I'd be able to walk with my class in May. She didn't graduate (she got her GED) and neither did my grandma, so it was a big deal that I walk. She gave me whole speech about "I got you to school everyday for 13 years, I helped you with your homework, I got you to choir practices, girl scouts, speech and debate, I bought candy, I helped you build a castle, some kind of bridge thing, and a million other craft projects, I am going to watch you walk across a stage in a cap and gown. That is my payoff!", so there was no not going to graduation. I knew a few kids who weren't gonna go because it "wasn't important", I did not understand this idea.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
Last year my workplace made everyone stay late and work a holiday and weekends to get ahead just because the owner wanted us to, not for any particular reason. We were given a vague promise of "compensation" for complying. Actually, we were voluntold to work extra hours all week, and pressured into doing so, all with the dangling carrot of "compensation" ahead. A year later, still no "compensation" has come our way for doing this. And the company is shocked -- SHOCKED -- that everyone clocks out the second their eight-hour workday is up and no one will work free overtime anymore.

They're also flummoxed as to why we no longer are so far ahead in our work. While no one's breathed a word of a work slowdown, deflated morale has obviously taken its toll.

Years ago, the president of the company I worked for tried to get us to come in on a Saturday to "clean."  He liked having absolutely nothing on his desk at any time, and he wanted all desks to look like his.  Someone did let him know that labor laws would require that 4 hours of work on a Saturday be compensated at overtime rates.  So his solution was to throw a party!  4 hours of completely denuding desks of all paper, and we would get to eat free pizza!

No one showed up.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
My mom once got in trouble (state employee) for suggesting her team come clean the bathroom on the weekend.

She and they were really frustrated because they felt the bathroom was disgusting, and they kept sending in cleaning requests, which were supposedly "met," and they said to each other, "that's not clean!"

So Mom said, "I'm coming in this weekend, and I'm going to clean it the way it SHOULD be, so I can SHOW them!!! I'd love some help." Two of the ladies did.

Mom said, "I really didn't think about it as required, but I got in trouble for it. But it was a nice feeling to stand there and point to the grime-less surfaces and edges, and say 'THIS is clean!' And I will say, they cleaned it properly ever after." I think the fact that they'd been moved to do this meant that their supervisors said to the cleaning people, "Do -your- job right!"

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
I have a friend of expects to be invited to everything anyone else is doing, but doesn't feel the need to include everyone else in her events.