Author Topic: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)  (Read 56773 times)

nuit93

Re: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
I actually had a nightmare about losing my job last night.

Less than a month after being told that job security was "not an issue" management is telling us that they are going to seriously be cracking down on employees who don't meet Corporate's "minimum of 1 credit card application per shift" goal.

I am trying to be cool about it, but part of me is a seething ball of resentment over it.

Reminds me of my time working in a department store.  They only enforced that rule if you'd been there long enough to make the maximum pay--those folks were always the first to go so they could replace them with minimum wage new hires.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2014, 11:14:52 PM »
A fbook friend works at Target and was surprised (or so it seemed) that they were backing off pushing the cashiers to push the cards following the big problem they had recently. 

I wasn't all that surprised honestly and thought it was smart of them to back off considering I can't imagine many folks would be clamoring to sign up for their debit or credit card shortly after that all hit the news and I'd be disappointed if they did penalize clerks for not being able to get a sign up/day under the circumstances.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Years ago, I worked in the mental health field.  There was a bit of a shake up (rumor was that the hospital was about to lose a major contract, and my program would be the first to go).  All of us are looking for jobs before the axe fell, and a new supervisor was hired to turn the program around.  Now I like the new boss, Hugh, a lot.  He was trying to make severe programmatic changes, all designed to make the clients' experiences more therapeutic, but I left anyway.

After I left, Hugh contacted me and asked if I was still willing to work 2 nights a week and on Saturdays, running recreational activities.  I did this about 6 weeks, until I happened to run into one of my former coworkers.  It seemed that the old staff was completely gone, and we had all been replaced.  My problem was that all the new staff had at the most Community College degrees (old staff had a minimum of BA, if not Master's degrees), but Hugh had fought hard for the new staff to get good salaries.  So, someone (with a lot less education and experience than I had) had a starting salary greater than my final salary, and I was putting in 12 extra hours a week over my new job to "help" them run the program.

I quit that day.  Let the new people put in the long hours (salaried, not hourly), and when the contract was lost, I didn't shed a tear as they all lost their jobs.

That is a really spiteful thing to think about a group of people who had nothing to do with what you were hired for and paid.

I agree and it's not there fault that  their manager fought for them to be better paid.  Salary can very a lot depending on when you  were hired

I was also never informed that the others were making a lot more money than I was.  Like I said, 12 hours a week on top of my 40 hour a week job is a lot of work.  I thought it was great that Hugh had managed to get them better salaries, but I thought that since I was really doing him a huge favor, he should have given me some consideration.  Also, in the hospital structure, it was supposed to be tied to your education and experience.  Plus, I am not angry at the workers, I was and am angry at the hospital.  If there were standards for certain wages, then how come Hugh was able to work around it?  I also blamed Hugh's predecessor in that he obviously was not willing to fight for us.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:20:49 AM by pierrotlunaire0 »
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »
Not me, but a colleague.

Some background: There is a very Bad Boss in my small company. He's hired incompetent people (the latest was fired last week after a year of "performance plans" -- hired over the objections of the rest of the staff, BTW.) He's micro-managed some projects while ignoring essential things (we lost a week of work because he hadn't renewed some software licenses -- licenses that we knew a year ago would expire.) People have quit over his mistreatment of them. He's a peer to me and I've had to clean up a number of his messes (c.f. software licenses.)

Further background: Anybody who has worked as a systems administrator knows what a thankless job it is. If things are going well, nobody knows that you exist. If things go wrong, then you are the wost person in the world. In a small company, it's even worse. We had one SA who worked 6- and 7-day weeks and was on call the rest of the time, making it a 24x7 job. Said Bad Boss hired a consultant to "help", but all of a sudden all information for the system admin was being filtered through the consultant. The SA knew that his days were numbered (he'd butted heads with Bad Boss a few times earlier over the micro-management.)

On Christmas Eve, the SA asked for the afternoon off. Bad Boss denied it because he insisted that the SA get some systems up and running for an off-shore development team (one that doesn't take time off at Christmas.) There was no need for the rush (partly caused by Bad Boss' incompetence in any case) because the off-shore team had plenty of other things that they could do to keep busy.  This was purely Bad Boss' ego in play. So the system admin quit on the spot, leaving us far worse off than losing an afternoon's work would have.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:09 PM »
I technically graduated from high school in the fall, but walked with the rest of my class in May. During the in between time I'd taken a little second job at a tiny coffee shop right between my school and my home, it was a few nights a week, I mostly did it for free coffee and tip money.

The owner of the coffee shop employed a good amount of graduating seniors, all from the same high school, and when graduation night started coming up we all were asking for the day off. About two weeks before I'd had my ceremony for my AA degree and my boss had happily given me the night off and wished me well (even gave me a congrats card!), so I assumed it'd be no issue for my HS graduation. So when the new schedule came out I was surprised to see I was working grad night. On my break I went and talked to her and explained I would not be working that night, I was going to my graduation. She told me "You already graduated, this is just a ceremony", I said yes, but it was an important ceremony and I was going to which she responded "Well, you're a grown up now, and your work comes first. Everyone else wants the night off, so you gotta work it. You need to show your loyalty to me and to this company". I walked away from her, grabbed my bag and went to the bathroom to change out of my uniform shirt. Which I handed back to her and said "I quit, my loyalty  is to my family who have waited 13 years to watch me walk across that stage" and walked out. They went out of business a few months later so guess no one was all that loyal.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
The HQ for DH's company is in New Jersey (we are in PA).  During the aftermath of Hurrican Sandy one of the senior managers called DH's coworker and told her that generators and gasoline were in short supply.  It had been all over the news so we knew all about it.

Well, Manager asks the coworker to go to the local Home Depot and buy two generators and to fill up about 30 gas cans so he can power his home, beachhouse and 3 cars.  Oh, but he can't drive to PA to get them because the roads are impassable so she'll have to bring them to him.

Did I mention this coworker drives a Toyota Celica?

She was seriously about to do this  ::) when DH said to her "If the roads out of New Jersey are impassable what makes you think the roads INTO New Jersey are clear?"

Manager had to find his own generators and gas.

melicious

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
So when the new schedule came out I was surprised to see I was working grad night. On my break I went and talked to her and explained I would not be working that night, I was going to my graduation. She told me "You already graduated, this is just a ceremony", I said yes, but it was an important ceremony and I was going to which she responded "Well, you're a grown up now, and your work comes first. Everyone else wants the night off, so you gotta work it. You need to show your loyalty to me and to this company". I walked away from her, grabbed my bag and went to the bathroom to change out of my uniform shirt. Which I handed back to her and said "I quit, my loyalty  is to my family who have waited 13 years to watch me walk across that stage" and walked out.

You're my hero!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
The HQ for DH's company is in New Jersey (we are in PA).  During the aftermath of Hurrican Sandy one of the senior managers called DH's coworker and told her that generators and gasoline were in short supply.  It had been all over the news so we knew all about it.

Well, Manager asks the coworker to go to the local Home Depot and buy two generators and to fill up about 30 gas cans so he can power his home, beachhouse and 3 cars.  Oh, but he can't drive to PA to get them because the roads are impassable so she'll have to bring them to him.

She was seriously about to do this  ::) when DH said to her "If the roads out of New Jersey are impassable what makes you think the roads INTO New Jersey are clear?"

So the generators and gasoline are in short supply but he absolutely needs them to power a beach house and 3 cars?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 07:32:56 PM »
Two generators and that much gasoline are going to be VERY EXPENSIVE (we bought one generator and a lot of gas cans & the fuel to run the generator after Hurricane Ike - it was NOT cheap). 

How is getting the money to her for this shopping trip AND a four wheel drive vehicle (or horse drawn sleigh) large enough to take it to his beach house?  He's not getting the money to  her in advance?  Laugh hysterically - whether before or after hanging up the phone depends on whether or not keeping that job with a crazy boss is a high priority.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mary Lennox

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
I used to have boss who, at her worst, fired a bunch of people for getting together outside of work. She would make a big deal about being "a family" and everybody getting along, but when we would get along outside of her control, she would get jealous and overingly critical of us when we were at work.

We were told different reasons why they are fired, but the timing was just so obvious (and they were really good workers too!). It was like she couldn't stand not being part of our social life as well as our work life.

I'd heard stories but I couldn't believe she was that vindictive until I saw it for myself. Needless to say, I got out quick and never looked back! (And I still keep in touch with those friends!)

melicious

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
I used to have boss who, at her worst, fired a bunch of people for getting together outside of work.
What the…? No. I hope someone reported to her, because that's a million kinds of wrong.

Allyson

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:46 AM »
This is nothing to do with work, but someone expecting loyalty...I have an 'acquaintance friend' who seems to expect a friendship-loyalty way too quickly. It's like she's watched all the shows with the super tight groups of friends, and wants that, so tries to force it on casual acquaintances, then gets upset when people don't act the way she wants them to.

For instance, she informed me like she was doing me a favor that I was coming to something she was organizing, that would've been a bit of a time commitment. I said I'd have to think about it, as my schedule was pretty busy, and could I get back to her, and she was quite upset by the fact that I wasn't doing it. She made flat statements like "you're going to do this" in the way that "charmingly bossy" characters on TV do, but really doesn't translate well in real life.

She also was unhappy that people hadn't 'warned' her about a guy she'd briefly dated; we barely knew her at the time, and the rumours about him were not all that unsavory, certainly nothing abusive.

I generally like her, and understand her wanting friends, but I wish I had a way to explain to her that this kind of behaviour is going to have the opposite effect than what she wants...:(

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 03:37:42 AM »
It's like she's watched all the shows with the super tight groups of friends, and wants that,

Urgh. I had to explain to a previous friend that the reason TV shows have these super tight groups of friends is because being that close for so long creates drama. They need drama because they are a TV show. I don't need drama because I am not on a TV show. Space is healthy and normal. Being in each other's pockets is not.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »
It's like she's watched all the shows with the super tight groups of friends, and wants that,

Urgh. I had to explain to a previous friend that the reason TV shows have these super tight groups of friends is because being that close for so long creates drama. They need drama because they are a TV show. I don't need drama because I am not on a TV show. Space is healthy and normal. Being in each other's pockets is not.

Well, it's because the shows are FAKE. And because the people aren't real, and don't need to do things like "see other non-show characters" or "get some groceries" or "go to the dentist" or "go to Cousin Susie's bithday party" (because Cousin Susie is not on the show).

BarensMom

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »

So the generators and gasoline are in short supply but he absolutely needs them to power a beach house and 3 cars?  ::)

I could totally see the female dog I used to work with demanding that of me. 

Whenever there was a high wind advisory on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, she would call and demand that I take whatever she wanted to work on to her house, because "she couldn't drive on the bridge."  Even my supervisor saw the lunacy of me driving across the same bridge in high winds.