Author Topic: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)  (Read 57105 times)

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
Re: Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »
But it did tell her how "highly" her education, skills, and experience were valued (not) - which probably had more to do with her quitting...

I agree she had a right to be ticked, but not at the replacement employees.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Yarnspinner

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
But it did tell her how "highly" her education, skills, and experience were valued (not) - which probably had more to do with her quitting...

Thank you Vorfemme.   While I understand the OP may have sounded spiteful towards the other employees, I also understand what it is to have your years of experience in a field undervalued and your education denigrated.  My professional coworkers and I have been told that:

1) trained monkeys could do our jobs
2) that we are nothing but overpaid stock clerks

And over the last six months, Stonecold gave out three " junior promotions" to support staff who claim they are getting their masters' in library science.  Not one of these young women have gotten a BA yet and all of them are making as much or more than their predecessors were.  The three of them act as Stonecold's "assistant directors".   None of them know what they are doing, are way in over their heads and are making huge mistakes that are costing us $$$$$.  They refuse (as per Stonecold) to seek advice from senior staff who know what they are doing.

Consequently, senior staff has backed off and let them sink.  Of course, it's Stonecold, so she is turning a blind eye to the mess they are making.  Still, all three are in for a rude awakening as Stonecold repeatedly tells the Board that she has no intention of giving them "full" promotions and will continue to use them to do her dirty work.  And the senior staff knows that if the girls make big enough mistakes, it will be their heads on the chopping blocks....not Stonecold's. 

Unfortunately, we can't work up a lot of sympathy given the way the three of them have treated coworkers who helped them out when they first started.  It may seem ugly of us, but the truth is, they brought this on themselves.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:34:29 PM by Yarnspinner »

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »

Thank you Vorfemme.   While I understand the OP may have sounded spiteful towards the other employees, I also understand what it is to have your years of experience in a field undervalued and your education denigrated.  My professional coworkers and I have been told that:

And over the last six months, Stonecold gave out three " junior promotions" to support staff who claim they are getting their masters' in library science.  Not one of these young women have gotten a BA yet and all of them are making as much or more than their predecessors were.  The three of them act as Stonecold's "assistant directors".   None of them know what they are doing, are way in over their heads and are making huge mistakes that are costing us $$$$$.  They refuse (as per Stonecold) to seek advice from senior staff who know what they are doing.

Consequently, senior staff has backed off and let them sink.  Of course, it's Stonecold, so she is turning a blind eye to the mess they are making.  Still, all three are in for a rude awakening as Stonecold repeatedly tells the Board that she has no intention of giving them "full" promotions and will continue to use them to do her dirty work.  And the senior staff knows that if the girls make big enough mistakes, it will be their heads on the chopping blocks....not Stonecold's. 

Unfortunately, we can't work up a lot of sympathy given the way the three of them have treated coworkers who helped them out when they first started.  It may seem ugly of us, but the truth is, they brought this on themselves.

Pierrotlunaire0 gave no indication that the new employees had treated her badly. I'm sorry that the junior staff at your job have treated you badly. As I recall, it's been several years since Stonecold was hired and started giving you problems at work. It's surprising, after everything you've told us, that she is still employed. Is it possible that her ideas are actually working and that the senior staff who are so opposed to her methods are more likely just opposed to change?

People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:37 AM »
I worked at a place where the beginning wage was changed but the wages of ongoing employees, who had been faithfully working  there for less than they were worth for a long time did not get a wage raise so that the percentage for seniority would be preserved (the employer raised the entry level wage but did not carry this over into the other wage levels for the job for people who had been long time employees).  The beginning people were making the same or more than the old timers.   >:(
We complained and they did fix it but gads, how smart do you have to be to know this is just lousy treatment for loyalty!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
I worked at a place where the beginning wage was changed but the wages of ongoing employees, who had been faithfully working  there for less than they were worth for a long time did not get a wage raise so that the percentage for seniority would be preserved (the employer raised the entry level wage but did not carry this over into the other wage levels for the job for people who had been long time employees).  The beginning people were making the same or more than the old timers.   >:(
We complained and they did fix it but gads, how smart do you have to be to know this is just lousy treatment for loyalty!
Yeah, I wonder about those who are supposed to be doing the math. In my previous work place, we had to agree to a salary cut. I don't remember all the details but they cut one day a week ( which also supposedly cut the expenses of running the place), and they cut our salary by a certain percentage. Let's say seven percent. However, since some people were at the very low end of the salary base, they decided that in order to be fair, those making under 1000$ a month will not lose any pay and from 1001$ they get cut by seven percent. So we ( a few smart people) immediately said that doesn't make sense and they should make the cut rated ( e.g.,, for the first 1000$ zero cut, from 1001-3000 x%, for the next 3001-5000 y% and so on) because what happened here is that people who managed to make a little bit more than the minimum would not be taking home less than those making min wage. So the 1000$ people would be taking home 1000$ and the 1001$ people would be taking home 930$.  Brilliant solution.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yarnspinner

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2014, 01:54:20 AM »

Pierrotlunaire0 gave no indication that the new employees had treated her badly. I'm sorry that the junior staff at your job have treated you badly. As I recall, it's been several years since Stonecold was hired and started giving you problems at work. It's surprising, after everything you've told us, that she is still employed. Is it possible that her ideas are actually working and that the senior staff who are so opposed to her methods are more likely just opposed to change?

You are right; Pierre's situation was different from mine in that respect.  As for the rest of it, I cannot come up with a cogent and respectful response.  Anything I could say in response to the last part of that paragraph would get the thread closed and me banned.  So let's just go back to the loyalty stories.   

Modified again because I left part of one of my earlier efforts to respond in here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:58:45 AM by Yarnspinner »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
From how long Yarnspinner has been posting about Stonecold - we can only conclude that she has photos of important people in compromising positions and they have been hidden in very safe places where there is no way for anyone to get to them & destroy them without Stonecold cooperating.

Either that or she's the reincarnation of P. T. Barnum & nobody wants to admit that they followed the signs to see the exhibit of the egress, not realizing that that was the "exit"...

Because she has held onto that position for a while - while pulling stunts that would get MOST people recognized as having more issues than National Geographic (well, she might have culled all the earlier National Geographics from the library archives when she had a bunch of "old stuff" thrown out) - so there may only be five or six issues on hand.....(the previous is intended as a joke - since I don't know of many magazines with more archived issues than the National Geographic).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: Unwarranted Demands for Loyalty (Share stories)
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »
At the worst of the recession, the large corporation I worked for cut salaries by 15% to avoid layoffs.  Employees accepted this decision.  Within a year, there was a massive layoff, and it was brutal. About 10% of employees were let go, regardless of experience, accomplishments, or business needs.  The company paid a large sum to a consultant group to select the doomed employees, and the primary consideration was that the selection was random enough that no group (race, age, gender, etc) could sue for discrimination.

One person in my already understaffed group was dismissed.  This was traumatic for everyone, and let us all know that no amount of hard work could save us from the company's whims. The laid-off person was rehired two years later, at a starting position/salary. 

Employee morale has vanished.  The company is now doing what it can to get well-paid employees to leave voluntarily.  Jobs are being outsourced.  Experienced employees are expected to train and help the inexperienced newcomers.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
I was working for a government agency involved in environmental protection. As happens with such agencies, there was an election and the newly elected executive replaced the agency head & a few top managers with new political appointees. Everyone else was civil service and kept their jobs. The new appointees were, shall we say, idea people rather than good managers.

One of my favorite stories was hearing that the civil service staff who worked directly for New Agency Head were told they could leave early on Christmas Eve--at 5 PM. Agency Head never did figure out why, if he was willing to work 10 hours every day, the rest of his staff weren't loyal enough to the program to also want to do so. These staff were salaried, not hourly, so could not get overtime.

However, the best was a bright idea that fortunately did not go anywhere. One of the top managers had a great suggestion--they would create an environmental "loyalty oath" for all employees to sign. It would contain things like "I promise to recycle" and "I promise to use 'green' appliances." There would even be a pledge to participate in agency-sponsored environmental activities. What a great example to set for the community at large! Great publicity! Everyone will love it!

Well, the personnel experts did not love it, explaining how civil service law did not allow you to dictate employee's personal lives. The lawyers did not love it, explaining that the employee unions would have a field say with grievances and possible lawsuits. The media relations staff also did not love it, explaining that, no, it would not be great publicity, and the media would greet it with scorn at best.

The idea was scrapped, but not before word leaked out to staff, who just laughed.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
I actually had a nightmare about losing my job last night.

Less than a month after being told that job security was "not an issue" management is telling us that they are going to seriously be cracking down on employees who don't meet Corporate's "minimum of 1 credit card application per shift" goal.

I am trying to be cool about it, but part of me is a seething ball of resentment over it.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Jocelyn

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
  I could see doing this for the folks involved in patient care like nurses, CNA's and such but if our department is so "useless" than why did we have to risk our necks to get there?  ::)
Not to defend any employer's labeling a group of workers as 'useless'...but you would be very useful in comforting frightened residents. I worked at a nursing home, and shortly after I left work there was a tornado. I went back after the tornado, because I knew there would be lots of things to do, from moving residents back upstairs, giving them dinner and helping them get ready for bedtime- by the time the 'all clear' was sounded, dinner was already an hour late. I still feel badly about how we concentrated on the physical needs and there wasn't anyone who could sit and talk with the residents.

doodlemor

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »
From how long Yarnspinner has been posting about Stonecold - we can only conclude that she has photos of important people in compromising positions and they have been hidden in very safe places where there is no way for anyone to get to them & destroy them without Stonecold cooperating.

That idea is not entirely outlandish.  We had several employees where I worked who just plain goofed off and didn't do their jobs properly.  Their behavior was entitled, and the person in charge - big boss - let them get away with it.  Some of the bad practices were even safety issues.

One day the big boss, was arrested for soliciting an undercover cop in a public place.  Unfortunately for him, he was also in a company vehicle at the time.  The cops had iron clad evidence, and big boss lost his job.  The shirkers worked a little better for the new guy, and then retired. 

I'm sure that the shirkers had information on the big boss - it's the only explanation that makes sense.  The behavior of the shirkers was incredibly egregious.  The big boss followed normal procedures with the rest of us, and the place fortunately ran smoothly except for the shirkers. 

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »
My company seems to have a policy of making the working environment as unpleasant as they can get away with.  It truly seems that they are consciously demonstrating how little the employees are valued.

One time it was decided that cubicle size would be halved.  A lot of money was spent to replace cubicles with smaller ones.  Employees were forced to sign a form stating that we understood the reason for this.

The extra cubicles were still vacant when my group moved eight years later.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »
  I could see doing this for the folks involved in patient care like nurses, CNA's and such but if our department is so "useless" than why did we have to risk our necks to get there?  ::)
Not to defend any employer's labeling a group of workers as 'useless'...but you would be very useful in comforting frightened residents. I worked at a nursing home, and shortly after I left work there was a tornado. I went back after the tornado, because I knew there would be lots of things to do, from moving residents back upstairs, giving them dinner and helping them get ready for bedtime- by the time the 'all clear' was sounded, dinner was already an hour late. I still feel badly about how we concentrated on the physical needs and there wasn't anyone who could sit and talk with the residents.

Well thing is, I liked the residents and had a really good rapport with most of them, especially the regulars that came down to most events.  I did enjoy the interaction a lot as I've always enjoyed talking to senior citizens.   It was the attitude of the management I didn't particularly care for.  The cognitive and lucid residents didn't care much for them, either, nor did their families.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MOM21SON

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »
I actually had a nightmare about losing my job last night.

Less than a month after being told that job security was "not an issue" management is telling us that they are going to seriously be cracking down on employees who don't meet Corporate's "minimum of 1 credit card application per shift" goal.

I am trying to be cool about it, but part of me is a seething ball of resentment over it.

I have recently stopped going to a retail store here because of this policy.  I think its terrible that they expect employees to harass people to apply for their store credit card.