Author Topic: Child Sized Portions and Buffets  (Read 7875 times)

Lynda_34

Re: Child Sized Portions and Buffets
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »
I used to cater and you need to talk to your caterer to make sure they are on the same page as you.
Bread firsts then salads and or vegetables (no extra plate), starches next, (pasta, potatoes, whatever) and meat/protein last.  Condiments, butter, silverware etc. at the end of the line.

You need one server to ensure that tables are served/get up to the buffet in order of how you decide.  It shouldn't be just a rush.  Once everyone sees that there is order to getting the food they will cooperate and those that don't will make for great stories later.

You're going to have a seating plan, name the tables whatever you want but also make sure that the hired server is going to know which table to indicate what order to go in.

Tables need to be cleared so you're going to need to hire one or two someones to just clear tables.  A little more money (hourly rate) will ensure that there is order during serving, easy clean up and once the cake is cut they will be available to distribute cake.

These servers can also help great aunt Matilda, who uses a walker and crazy uncle Simon through the buffet.
I also agree with one of them standing over the protein asking, "Chicken or pot roast?"

Good luck, congratulations and the fact that you're thinking ahead tells me you're going to have a lovely wedding.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »
In my experience with buffets they expect most people to take a full serving of everything. If the caterer is suggesting this then I would take his advice because that means he plans to have generous servings.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 11:54:39 PM »
You're only having a small number of young children at your reception, so I'd take the caterer's advice.

Even if it's a self-serve buffet - really, parents aren't going to try to pile up their kids' plates with enough food for the next 18 hours. ;)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 02:35:04 AM »
If it puts your mind at ease, I've never been to a buffet wedding that wasn't self-service. IME, people are generally fairly conservative in choosing from a buffet the first time through the line at a wedding, and I think it's pretty safe to only order half servings for kids under 7.

Unfortunately, the one buffet I ever went to, the first people through the line were greedy pigs (abandoned plates half full of food left on their tables, plates filled to overflowing) and the last 30\40 people didn't get any food.  Of course, the OP and her DF probably have a good idea whether their guests are likely to behave like this.

If the OP's DF has a normal appetite and thinks the portions are generous and none of the guests are the type to take a piece of fish and a piece of chicken and a serving of pasta etc. where each piece/serving is meant to be one helping then I would say a half serving for under sevens should be plenty.

If there are concerns about food running out, then a served buffet might be the answer.

Hmmmm, I think it's completely normal to take some of everything at a buffet.  In fact, I thought that was one of the main attractions of a buffet, getting to try a bit of everything.

I get what Tia is saying.. there are many people who take MORE than their share then don't eat the whole plate .Buffets are famous for that.  I would suggest going on the side of having more food than the risk of running out.

Also, OP, May I suggest, that your menu is a bit lacking in protein and looks very high carb.. unless you have other options you didn't mention?  I wouldn't be able to eat what you are offering except the salad and it is a high calorie version.  I would go hungry on your meal offering with the pasta, bread, fruit ... do you have other options available and just didn't mention them?

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »
If it puts your mind at ease, I've never been to a buffet wedding that wasn't self-service. IME, people are generally fairly conservative in choosing from a buffet the first time through the line at a wedding, and I think it's pretty safe to only order half servings for kids under 7.

Unfortunately, the one buffet I ever went to, the first people through the line were greedy pigs (abandoned plates half full of food left on their tables, plates filled to overflowing) and the last 30\40 people didn't get any food.  Of course, the OP and her DF probably have a good idea whether their guests are likely to behave like this.

If the OP's DF has a normal appetite and thinks the portions are generous and none of the guests are the type to take a piece of fish and a piece of chicken and a serving of pasta etc. where each piece/serving is meant to be one helping then I would say a half serving for under sevens should be plenty.

If there are concerns about food running out, then a served buffet might be the answer.

Hmmmm, I think it's completely normal to take some of everything at a buffet.  In fact, I thought that was one of the main attractions of a buffet, getting to try a bit of everything.

I get what Tia is saying.. there are many people who take MORE than their share then don't eat the whole plate .Buffets are famous for that.  I would suggest going on the side of having more food than the risk of running out.

Also, OP, May I suggest, that your menu is a bit lacking in protein and looks very high carb.. unless you have other options you didn't mention?  I wouldn't be able to eat what you are offering except the salad and it is a high calorie version.  I would go hungry on your meal offering with the pasta, bread, fruit ... do you have other options available and just didn't mention them?

It is a lunch reception (which I'm assuming means the entire event is at the absolute longest from 10am-4 pm and more likely for 2-4 hours )  I think a pasta main is acceptable for a lunch. 

bonyk

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
Also there are appetizers before lunch.

OP, how much money are you saving?  I know your budget is tight, but is it worth paying that amount for piece of mind?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »

It is a lunch reception (which I'm assuming means the entire event is at the absolute longest from 10am-4 pm and more likely for 2-4 hours )  I think a pasta main is acceptable for a lunch.

Pasta main is acceptable if there is a protein option or there are no diabetics or those with a low glycemic diet. Part of hosting is providing a meal that people can eat.  Having a high carb meal with very little protein, no matter the meal of the day is  not sufficient hosting.   At the very least there should be a vegetable side and a protein option.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »

Pasta main is acceptable if there is a protein option or there are no diabetics or those with a low glycemic diet. Part of hosting is providing a meal that people can eat.  Having a high carb meal with very little protein, no matter the meal of the day is  not sufficient hosting.   At the very least there should be a vegetable side and a protein option.

I have to disagree and this is coming from someone with a diabetic , vegan and milk allergy in my very close family (yeah thats a fun meal to make) Pasta is a protein and a starch and chicken alfredo is a protein. There is no all weddings need to proved a diabetic meal option.  IF OPs DFs family has diabetics/celiac/milk allergies  then thats not a good menu.  Making a menu because of unknown  food issues would have to included every possible food issue...dairy , peanut , soy and grain allergies ..vegans , Jewish and diabetics etc.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
Pasta is a carb.  A very high carb.  I don't expect all conditions to be catered to, but a balanced meal offering that has a bit of everything.   ..protein, veg, starch.  Part of good hosting is offering a balanced meal selection.   

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Pasta is a carb.  A very high carb.  I don't expect all conditions to be catered to, but a balanced meal offering that has a bit of everything.   ..protein, veg, starch.  Part of good hosting is offering a balanced meal selection.

As someone who follows a low glycemic diet, I do,recognize that chicken Alfredo with pasta, a salad, and bread is considered to be a full meal. While not a meal I can enjoy a lot of, I would take a small portion of the pasta, a larger portion of salad, and make up for any hunger after I left the event.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:23 PM »

As someone who follows a low glycemic diet, I do,recognize that chicken Alfredo with pasta, a salad, and bread is considered to be a full meal. While not a meal I can enjoy a lot of, I would take a small portion of the pasta, a larger portion of salad, and make up for any hunger after I left the event.

I agree, your plan sounds quite sensible to me.  I don't think that's it's reasonable to expect a fairly low-cost venue, early in the day, to be able to provide an extensive menu that will absolutely satisfy all dietary needs/requests.

mlogica

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »

I agree, your plan sounds quite sensible to me.  I don't think that's it's reasonable to expect a fairly low-cost venue, early in the day, to be able to provide an extensive menu that will absolutely satisfy all dietary needs/requests.

I basically agree with kareng57 and Hmmmmm.  However, if it were my event I'd substitute a green salad (preferably with a selection of dressings on the side) for the Caesar salad.  Although not as filling as a Caesar salad, it would perhaps be more appealing to those trying to avoid fat and salt.  Not sure how "carby" a Caesar salad is compared to a green salad so don't know if it would make a difference there.

As a vegetarian, I know that attending any social event may mean a meal with little than I can eat.  Fortunately it's usually only one meal, and I have learned to tuck a protein bar or something in my purse, just in case.

eee

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 02:04:50 AM »

I think this is a problem specific to you and your medical condition, not a problem of not "good hosting". Pasta is not a weird or unbalanced meal choice for the majority of the population so it seems inappropriate to chastise the OP for choosing it. Not everything is suitable for everyone, but acting as if it is an unreasonable meal seems unreasonable to me.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »
There would be protein in the chicken and the cheese, would there not?

My guess is that the OP did exactly what we tell people to do, here on EHell. She figured out the number of people she wanted to invite to her wedding, and then chose food choices that fit her budget. Sounds like she has one main dish with chicken and a second one with cheese, and that should cover the needs/wants of most of her guests.

The larger the number of guests, the harder it is to accommodate every possible dietary plan. Adults with very specific food needs should be able to cope with one meal in their day that doesn't completely meet those needs, either by planning to eat earlier or later, or carrying something with them.

I'm making the assumption that money is tight for this couple, and they are struggling to have a wedding to which they can invite all their loved ones and still offer a comfortable level of hospitality. Yes, their food choices are somewhat limited because of that. But I've been to expensive weddings where the food is plated and every guest gets exactly the same meal--decent sized piece beef or chicken, sometimes in a sauce; 6 one inch cubes of roasted potatoes, and 12 green beans. If you don't like or can't eat the beef or chicken, you just have to hope that you can fill up on the rolls or trade the meat for someone else's green beans.

OP, no matter what you offer for food choices, there will be someone who can't eat all of it, someone else who will complain about your choices, and someone who will take three servings of everything. Once I realized that, I plan events knowing this will happen, and just let the complaints roll off my back. You cannot please all the people, all the time.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 06:57:10 AM »
In addition to what others have said:

I think this will really depend on the age of the children. Under 10 years it's safe to assume they won't eat as much and reasonable parents would only put a reasonable amount of food on their plate at the buffet. Older kids, I'd plan adult-sized portions. My son is 12 and on a hungry day he easily eats more than my husband or I do (although he still has days where he eats a lot less).

Absolutely. My boys have really only started to eat more than a half portion. At ten and eleven they now have about 3/4 size.

Half portions are fine for under tens.
NE England