Author Topic: Child Sized Portions and Buffets  (Read 7101 times)

Teenyweeny

Re: Child Sized Portions and Buffets
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »
And since girls start puberty earlier, I'd plan on adult-sized portions for those aged 9-10 and over.

I'm not a greedy person now (previous weight gain was due to poor choices, rather than sheer volume of food), but I could easily put away two or three adult helpings when I was around ten years old. I was just hungry all.the.time. I'd have school dinners at lunch time (which was a proper meal, like this):

Then I'd have tea when I got home, which would be another hot meal (like spaghetti bolognese), and pudding. And I'd snack. I was an eating machine, and I don't think that's unusual.  ;)

LadyL

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
Making a menu because of unknown  food issues would have to included every possible food issue...dairy , peanut , soy and grain allergies ..vegans , Jewish and diabetics etc.

This is actually not as impossible as it sounds. In our bridal party alone we had two people who are gluten intolerant and one person who is vegan. We also probably had a dozen or two guests who are vegetarian, allergic to nuts, etc. We went with a caterer who in part specializes in dietary restrictions. Several guests who are used to not being able to each much, or anything, at events like weddings thanked us for providing food options each of them could eat.

I don't know how common this type of catering service is outside of major cities but my guess is that it's going to become way more common for restaurants, caterers, etc. to have menu options for a range of dietary restrictions.

Oh Joy

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »
Thanks everyone! The special price is only for kids under 7 and we don't have that many kids that young coming, at least on my side we don't. I'm not sure what's considered a serving or how big it is, fiancée only said that they were generous. It's half price for the child sized portions. I don't love the idea of a self serve buffet but it costs a lot more to do the full service option and I'm not sure we can afford it, fiancée did say that they bring a few extra trays in case we run short.

It sounds to me like the caterer takes responsibility for ensuring there's an adequate amount of food, and the child-sized portion is really just a billing courtesy.

Just talk to your caterer about how they determine how much to bring.  You should be able to get a good feel of their perspective.  Especially with pasta, they'll be bringing a bunch of full pans...it's not like it's 27 1/2 chicken breasts for 25 adults and 5 children, KWIM?

Best wishes.

NyaChan

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
For myself, I think a host has to make an effort to provide a basic meal - as in food that is filling enough for that time of day while not knowingly leaving someone with nothing to eat.  It is not their automatic obligation to have multiple dishes on the off chance someone is going to feel peckish that day because at one meal out of their entire day they had more carbs than normal. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
Making a menu because of unknown  food issues would have to included every possible food issue...dairy , peanut , soy and grain allergies ..vegans , Jewish and diabetics etc.

This is actually not as impossible as it sounds. In our bridal party alone we had two people who are gluten intolerant and one person who is vegan. We also probably had a dozen or two guests who are vegetarian, allergic to nuts, etc. We went with a caterer who in part specializes in dietary restrictions. Several guests who are used to not being able to each much, or anything, at events like weddings thanked us for providing food options each of them could eat.

I don't know how common this type of catering service is outside of major cities but my guess is that it's going to become way more common for restaurants, caterers, etc. to have menu options for a range of dietary restrictions.
Which is great but I wouldn't suggest it was wrong not to if none of your guest had these know issues.   Wow, quadruple  negative let me try that again.  I think its great to accommodate your guests and that some caters can.   I do not think its poor hosting to plan for your  actual guests not hypothetical guests with food issues.  All meals don't have to be perfectly balanced for all food restrictions and no one food restriction is so prevalent that all meal should accommodate that one restriction. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »

This is quite nice and thoughtful.

However, this service may not exist in every area. And I suspect that it is more expensive than just regular catering.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

soon2bemrsf

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:31 PM »
Thanks everyone! Sorry for not replying sooner, I was moving this week and it's been kind of crazy.  :P To answer some questions, we are only having the 2 pasta options, our budget is really tight and our guest list is pretty large (we both have huge extended families, we're only inviting grandparents/aunts/uncles/first cousins and a few family friends and that's almost 200 people) so we can't really afford to do another entrée. The package we are getting has a very low cost per head, but there are only pasta options to choose from. If anyone does have any allergies though we'll do our best to work with them, this has actually reminded me, I have a cousin that I know is lactose intolerant, I'm going to have to speak with the caterers and see if we can get something made just for him. We are also doing some appetizers so people have something to munch on while we are taking pictures, those aren't set in stone yet so I'll see if we can include some more protein heavy options in there.

Thanks though everyone! You've done a lot to set my mind at ease. Weddings in my area of the country are usually just cake and punch in the church gym, I've never been to one that served a meal and I want to make sure I do it right. :)

HorseFreak

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
The reception hall that did my graduation party was happy to make separate plates for those with dietary restrictions who couldn't eat from the buffet. My vegan cousin got a plate just for her as did two other guests.

bloo

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
If it puts your mind at ease, I've never been to a buffet wedding that wasn't self-service. IME, people are generally fairly conservative in choosing from a buffet the first time through the line at a wedding, and I think it's pretty safe to only order half servings for kids under 7.

That's really nice that people are generally conservative in your area. That doesn't happen in my area of the Midwest. We have a fair number of over-eaters or persons incapable of determining portion sizes. Every large gathering that doesn't have friends volunteering to serve food at the buffet ends up running out of main items. And when I say every large gathering, I'm not talking potluck, just wedding receptions, graduation parties and (sometimes) meals after a memorial service.

If OP is uncomfortable on skimping on the food, I just wouldn't do it. My son could live on air unless he was going through a growth spurt. My daughter has an enormous appetite, even at a young age she would eat an adult portion of food.

OP, even if you have food leftover, if the thought of running out gives you any anxiety, don't do it. The extra money may be nice, but it's not worth your peace of mind with everything else you're going to have on your plate. Just my two cents! Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »
  OP I'm going to refer to your other thread.

Since its a Friday afternoon wedding unless most of your family don't work Fridays I think you will have a larger then average "no" RSVP from cousins especially.  So you'll be fine. 

Many caters will do "one of" plates for people with allergies/other food restrictions for a by plate fee.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
It is not a matter of enjoyment.  It is a matter of going to an event with nothing to eat. Only being able to eat a salad is not a meal.  Waiting to eat is not always an option.  Chicken Alfredo is mostly pasta with minimal chicken. I do stand by a host has an obligation to provide a balanced meal..

I happen to carry almonds with me as protein for situations like this.  As a guest, I would feel uncomfortable and rude for having to pull out food to sustain me.   

As a host I would be mortified to see a guest having to eat their own snack solely because my hosting was not sufficient in terms of a balanced meal. 

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
If it puts your mind at ease, I've never been to a buffet wedding that wasn't self-service. IME, people are generally fairly conservative in choosing from a buffet the first time through the line at a wedding, and I think it's pretty safe to only order half servings for kids under 7.

That's really nice that people are generally conservative in your area. That doesn't happen in my area of the Midwest. We have a fair number of over-eaters or persons incapable of determining portion sizes. Every large gathering that doesn't have friends volunteering to serve food at the buffet ends up running out of main items. And when I say every large gathering, I'm not talking potluck, just wedding receptions, graduation parties and (sometimes) meals after a memorial service.

If OP is uncomfortable on skimping on the food, I just wouldn't do it. My son could live on air unless he was going through a growth spurt. My daughter has an enormous appetite, even at a young age she would eat an adult portion of food.

OP, even if you have food leftover, if the thought of running out gives you any anxiety, don't do it. The extra money may be nice, but it's not worth your peace of mind with everything else you're going to have on your plate. Just my two cents! Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

I agree with the bolded. I think it's better to have too much food than not enough, and if it's a buffet I'm not sure how anyone could assign children's vs adults portions anyway. I know plenty of kids who can eat way more than me.

The worst wedding I ever went to was held at a very expensive golf club*. There were 9 tables of guests. For the main course, tables 1-3 went first and left barely enough food for tables 4-6 (I was table 4), so tables 4-6 had barely full plates. They then refilled the buffet for tables 7-9.

For the dessert, tables 7-9 went first, filled up their plates and left nothing for tables 4-6. They then refilled for tables 1-3. I don't know if there just wasn't enough food or those other people were simply greedy, but 20 years later I can still remember that reception for all the wrong reasons - being hungry!

OTOH one of the the best weddings I went to was a far less ritzy affair at a local bowls club and they were practically begging us at the end to go back for seconds/thirds as there was so much food. There were fewer choices, but what they did have they had plenty of.

* It was only a few months after my own wedding and we had looked at that venue for ourselves but got put off by the very unprofessional liaison person we met, so I was well aware of the prices.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 04:22:02 AM »
In my admittedly very limited experience the more generous the offerings the more likely the people holding the wedding/Super Bowl Party/church dinners were from small towns and/or farmers. The prevailing theory for party holders was approximately "invite 25, expect 35 and make enough food for 40 Packer linebackers. Hungry ones."

Has your fiance checked with other users of the caterers to see if they were satisfied by the quantities? If so then I'd do the half portions.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
First of all, best wishes for your wedding!  Secondly, I would provide what I can afford to provide, and if anyone cannot/will not eat this food, it is up to that person to figure out what to do.  If a significant portion of the family is observant Jewish, or diabetic then of course one tailors the menu.  Please don't get into the "I have got to please EVERYONE even if I don't know all their diets" trap.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
First of all, best wishes for your wedding!  Secondly, I would provide what I can afford to provide, and if anyone cannot/will not eat this food, it is up to that person to figure out what to do.  If a significant portion of the family is observant Jewish, or diabetic then of course one tailors the menu.  Please don't get into the "I have got to please EVERYONE even if I don't know all their diets" trap.

I agree with this.  It's nice to try to provide for specific issues that you know about for sure with specific people you have invited, but to try to cater to every possible dietary issue, especially when you aren't aware that anyone you have invited has that particular issue, that's just pretty much impossible unless you have an unlimited budget, or are, in fact, Harry Potter.

If anyone you've invited has any issues you don't know about yet, it's on them to let you know/ask you questions about the menu/figure out how to solve the problem.