Author Topic: Polite Complaining About Instructor? - update post #46, final post #65  (Read 12939 times)

AnnaJ

Re: Polite Complaining About Instructor?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
FYI.....dean of Students has nothing to do with faculty performance at most colleges or Universities. You need to inform the program chair and Dean of the department.

However, that being said let me just forewarn you that if you cannot show that you have first tried to address this problem with the faculty (I actually wouldn't consider the communication you shared with us as addressing the problem) you may hit a wall.

These are one kind of issue my department deals with and because their are potential disciplinary or instructional concerns they will want to make sure there was every attempt by the student to provide the faculty an opportunity to rectify the situation.

That's interesting.  At my institution students are expected to address some problems with an instructor before going to a chair - grades, behavioral issues - but this instructor is in essence changing the contract the student has with the college by altering the starting and ending times and insisting students attend a class related activity during a scheduled break.  The student would not be expected to negotiate with the instructor and the chair would definitely want to be informed of these circumstances. 

And yes, OP, if your school is set up with this hierarchy, the Department Chair should absolutely be informed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
This should be sent to the department chair of the college the instructor belongs to.

That would not go on long at my university.

Polly

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »
My job is similar to that of a director of studies, and in my place of work we deliver degree programmes to adult learners studying online and through blended learning. Because our faculty are SO important to our students' success it is a key part of my job to manage them. I would want to know if a student had concerns about a tutor, because our tutors' expertise is what students are paying us for, and what we pay tutors for.

I would never undermine my faulty as they are as important to us as our students, and they must obviously be treated as professionals who take responsibility for their own classes. However, ultimately it is my responsibility to ensure the students on my programmes have a good experience. Hence I want to know if things aren't going well. I'd be grateful to a student for drawing problems to my attention instead of simply leaving the course and not returning, or worse, bad mouthing the College and perhaps putting others off studying with us.

Therefore I think you are absolutely correct to have written the letter, and I'll be keen to know the response.

Good luck!

ellebelle

• I am L^2 and my favorite color is Damask
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 04:41:30 PM »
I want to make it clear that what the faculty is doing is wrong! But, the reality of how colleges and Universities work begins with clear communication with the faculty in question.

OP, did anyone contact administration after the communications regarding the cancelled classes? To me, that was the perfect opportunity to nip the problems in the bud.  You absolutely have a serious issue that admin need to know about, but I would inform the faculty that the hours and campus you registered for we're selected because of these factors and that changing the start time requires you to miss out on another course you are paying for. Request a response within a very tight time frame and if her/his response is not satisfactory go to admin. Even if she/he Back peddles and changes everything, you may want to communicate with the program chair in an FYI fashion so that if you feel that the instructor punishes you through your grade, they will allow a easier appeal and it provides them ammunition for dismissal. I can't help but wonder if this is the first time this instructor has tried to pull this. If not, you may actually do the college a favor by providing documentation, it makes dismissal much easier and cleaner.
- Well behaved women rarely make history

Promise

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
I'm an adjunct as well and this is horrendous. If I asked to make a change to the schedule and one person objected, I didn't make the change. Some changes I did make was to shorten the break in classes so that we could leave earlier. But again, this was a class decision. We also took a field trip away from campus for a class, but it was 100% supported by the students. We arranged transportation for those who didn't have a car. I think your letter is fine. You do need to pursue this.

sweetonsno

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
I agree that you should address it with the instructor first. It is entirely possible that some of these changes were approved by his supervisor.

That said, canceling 1/3 of the class sessions would be unacceptable to me as well. Whether or not they were approved by the supervisor, it's something that potential students should learn of before they sign up.

greencat

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
I know at least one faculty member got fired from the university I attended for doing something like this.

The Registrar's Office, the Chair of the department and the Dean of the College, and the Dean of Graduate Studies (or whatever the equivalent is at your university) should all receive the letter from you, as well as your adviser.  I would also request a meeting with the department chair ASAP - that is likely to result in the fastest reaction from the administration.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 08:22:30 PM »

Great letter. I would recommend that you look up your school's policy or student bill of rights if you have one.

When I was in University, they hired a graduate student from the University "down I35" that "stole our name*" to teach a computer programming class.

Well because he was a grad student from a huge university, he thought he was hot stuff compared to us - students at a small liberal arts university that didn't even have a grad school or football team. He basically started class announcing he would frequently be 5 - 10 min late (to a 50 min class), and that he didn't have time for office hours. He was informed then and there that was unacceptable. He basically told us he didn't care and there was nothing we could do.

So when he was informed he was facing charges in front of Judiciary - he was shocked. He was blown away when told he would be on time and he would have the required number of office hours or else he face some serious consequences. He finished the semester and then was gone.

*We were originally Texas University, according to the story when they started UT My university was told to either change the name or lose the charter. There is a log of "friendly" 1 sided rivalry.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

dawbs

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 08:37:43 PM »
I'll third or whatever talking/sending this to the dean of the dept.
That's my boss @ my job and...everything is unacceptable.  Yeah, this wouldn't fly

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 10:03:25 PM »
I think your letter is perfect. I'm curious to hear the response!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
Your letter is excellent and I'm mostly posting for updates, because boy do I ever want to hear how this goes down! >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

GSNW

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »
I spoke to my advisor and told her there were some scheduling issues without going into detail.  She sort of sighed after she asked which class was the issue and gave me the name of the appropriate contact.  I sent the email to that person and got an "out of office until Monday" reply, so we'll see hat happens Monday!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »
I hope you can get this worked out successfully!

Mary Lennox

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
Up until this point, I have felt that the considerable tuition I pay at (institution) is money well spent.  However, I am not okay with paying for a class that I cannot attend due to the instructor's continuing decisions to deviate from the schedule I signed up for.  If I have to drop the class at this point, I feel a full refund is fair.  I am also open to taking another class in this area beginning with the March sessions.  Please let me know how we can resolve this.

The only thing I would have changed is this paragraph. Don't give them an option of not refunding you.

"As these changes in schedule make it impossible for me to attend this class, I would like to drop this class with no penalties and credit my fee to Class X, beginning in March."

CakeBeret

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
I'm glad you've contacted those with the power to do something. I really hope that they step up and take care of this!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."