Author Topic: Silicone .....pot holder. Really?  (Read 2872 times)

CakeEater

Re: Silicone .....pot holder. Really?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »
I've tried a couple of silicone baking tins, but I find them difficult to fill, difficult to handle and difficult to clean. And I find baking biscuits on baking paper to be much easier for handling and cleanup.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 07:50:41 AM »
I have a bunch of silicone ice cube trays in a variety of shapes from Hello Kitty, to Tiki Gods, to Han Solo in carbonite.  I use them mainly to candy making.  :D Adults just don't know how to react to sour gummi skulls, but kids do!

MummySweet

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
I've found that success with silicone bakeware is directly related to its quality.   I find the inexpensive stuff to be horrible to work with: food sticks, the silicone lets off an unpleasant odor when heated, and it's a pain to clean.  However, I've been very pleased with some of the higher quality stuff...none of the issues that I listed.   I currently have several pieces made by Demarle and I love them!

veronaz

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
One thing I've had a problem remembering:  mitts are great for taking hot items from the oven rack.  Except for one thing~~> you have to put them ON. :-[  They don't work if they are hanging on a hook. (looking at nasty burn scar)

pearls n purls

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
I like the silicone hot pads.  They work well, and if they get dirty, you can just wash them in the sink instead of having to throw them in the wash.

I bought some very cheap silicone heart cake pans at Target a few years ago.  I only use them a couple times a year, but other than having discolored, they work great.  I like how they don't take up as much space as metal pans.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
I like my silicone spatula, pastry brush and silicone non-stick baking sheets. I've had the sheets for 13 years now!
NE England

MrTango

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
It's time to replace my oven mitts.  Yesterday, I burned my hand (between my thumb and forefinger) because the pan touched my skin where four seams on the oven mitt come together (and are apparently wearing out).

When I replace them, I'm probably going to go for silicone or a hybrid of silicone & fabric.

Also, I'm starting to seriously consider replacing the hand-guard on my mandolin slicer with a Kevlar glove.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »
It's time to replace my oven mitts.  Yesterday, I burned my hand (between my thumb and forefinger) because the pan touched my skin where four seams on the oven mitt come together (and are apparently wearing out).

When I replace them, I'm probably going to go for silicone or a hybrid of silicone & fabric.

Also, I'm starting to seriously consider replacing the hand-guard on my mandolin slicer with a Kevlar glove.

I have a chain mail glove that works like a charm.  It's the kind of glove oystermen wear to shuck oysters

andi

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
I do not like the silicone bakeware - but my SIL does. I did not like the ice cube trays either

However - I love the pot holders and gloves. Hubby finally had oven mots that fit his hands, they're easy to get on and off, easy to clean and last forever.

Library Dragon

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:46:14 AM »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

emwithme

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
My favorite oven glove is the Kevlar Ov Glove.  They work as advertised.

http://www.amazon.com/Ove-Glove-Surface-Handler-Pack/dp/B001EPR98Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1391924625&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Kevlar+ov+glove

I *love* oven gloves with fingers.  It means I have half a chance of actually being able to stir a pot or take something out of the oven without it slipping out of my hands. 

I have gloves like this, except they're longer in the arm - they come up to halfway between my wrist and elbow so I don't burn the side of my arm against the oven door or the wall of the oven (which I was often wont to do!)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Ove-Glove-Surface-Handler-Pack/dp/B001EPR98Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1391924625&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Kevlar+ov+glove

I *love* oven gloves with fingers.  It means I have half a chance of actually being able to stir a pot or take something out of the oven without it slipping out of my hands. 

I have gloves like this, except they're longer in the arm - they come up to halfway between my wrist and elbow so I don't burn the side of my arm against the oven door or the wall of the oven (which I was often wont to do!)

Oooh yes- I have those too. I love them!
NE England

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
Pictures and links please :)

buvezdevin

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
There are a couple of longer cuff Kevlar gloves at Amazon, one option:  http://www.amazon.com/Discount-Extra-long-withstands-elaborate-5-fingers/dp/B00G3U21HQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1391978244&sr=8-12&keywords=Kevlar+long+glove

And there are many options for Kevlar *sleeves* which could be combined with short cuff gloves (my some extreme cooking or crafting options, aside work safety):  http://www.northernsafety.com/Search?i=1&page=2&q1=Personal+Safety&q2=Hand+Protection&q3=Cut+Resistant+Gloves&q4=Kevlar&x1=category-1&x2=category-2&x3=category-3&x4=fieldvalue4

None of which I was aware of until last few posts gave me a curious.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

dawbs

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 08:19:42 PM »

I kinda want to steal an autoclave glove from work for this purpose.  It's awesome. (and expensive)

Only important thing to remember is that heat-resistant gloves are lousy when wet.