Author Topic: Etiquette Lessons  (Read 968 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Etiquette Lessons
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:44:44 PM »
Has anyone ever had them, taught them professionally, or sent a child to etiquette school?  Is it necessary to have a degree in something for this?

Just curious.

Runningstar

Re: Etiquette Lessons
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:49:02 AM »
When I was little (late 60's/early 70's) someone's mom would hold a tea party and go over basic etiquette.  Simple things such as putting the napkin on your lap, not reaching for the sugar but asking for it to be passed, etc.  If I recall correctly, this was not a party where you brought gifts, but where you enjoyed the tea and cookies.  I was to have gone to "finishing" school (late 70's) for classes on etiquette, but fought it tooth and nail so didn't go (alas!).
A degree in "home ec" (not sure what that is called now) would have been required (according to my mom) to professionally teach etiquette back then.  In our community there was a class in basic etiquette being offered (aimed at pre teens and teens) for around $50 for a two hour session.  I threw out the pamphlet of classes, so not sure of what credentials the instructor had.  There are classes out there and people will pay for them.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »
I don't think a degree is neccessary to teach etiquette. I once read about an "etiquette maven" who thought it was absolutely fine to go up to strangers and tell them they shouldn't wear whatever they were wearing. (I think it was that, I know it involved butting in where she had absolutely no right) I don't think she had any special qualifications.

I have no idea how "etiquette experts" get started. To be honest, I think they just tell people they are experts until people start believing them. I wonder if that would work for other things. I'm a ninja. Hey everyone, I'm a ninja!  ;)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
Have you searched for "How to start an etiquette/charm school" on line.

It was fun looking at it.

I know lots of kids who have benefitted by such a thing. Sounds interesting. If this is a new venture for you - you'll be very good, I'm sure. Best wishes. Wish I could attend.

One thing that kind of bothered was that table manners etc. were taught, but never helpful hints on how to put people at ease or avoid foot-in-mouth disease.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:18:36 PM by Luci45 »

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »
Back when I was in my early teens, my mother put me in a "charm school" run on Saturday mornings at a large department store.  The teacher, Mrs. Ernie, went over table manners, posture, introductions, and dressing.  I haven't seen anything like that for years and years.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
I work for a small technical school and mentioned one day to some of the staff that our students would greatly benefit from some sort of professional/workplace etiquette classes, as they were learning their trades, but not learning how to comport themselves professionally for interviews, etc. The first thing they said was, "Who in the world would teach a class like that? You?"

It seems like there is a real need for this, and like you, OP, I have no idea where one would get credentials for that sort of thing. But wow-wouldn't it be so useful!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »
I think in Junior High, my brother and I went to junior cotillion.  www.nljc.com

We learned etiquette, dance, and some other things.  It wasn't my favorite thing at the time, but by the time I got to high school, I really appreciated it.  It gave me a leg up for college/scholarship interviews.
Not such a newbie anymore

Library Dragon

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
DS1 went to one as a summer course. He was the only young man in the class and had lots of practice with each young lady. He grumbled at the time, but counts it as a positive experience now.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

bloo

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »
Back when I was in my early teens, my mother put me in a "charm school" run on Saturday mornings at a large department store.  The teacher, Mrs. Ernie, went over table manners, posture, introductions, and dressing.  I haven't seen anything like that for years and years.

Same thing and I remember getting a makeover as well. This was in the late eighties.:)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
I did the charm school thing in the 80's.  Mainly because my mother wanted me to learn how to walk without falling down.  Turns out the problem was that one leg was about an inch longer than the other.  But, I enjoyed the class.  Mainly I learned how to gracefully walk down stairs and get out of a car. 

What I would like is a really good book on the finer points of dining etiquette.   I've got the basics down.  For example, a friend went to a business etiquette class.  She learned that if you use a sugar packet, you aren't supposed to tear it into two pieces.

There used to be ads here for someone local to me that taught dining etiquette classes to kids.  From the description it was like the tea parties, only with a meal.   

StarFaerie

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
I did etiquette classes in school. They were called grooming and deportment. From a Google search, it appears the only prerequisite for teachers is experience.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
I did the charm school thing in the 80's.  Mainly because my mother wanted me to learn how to walk without falling down.  Turns out the problem was that one leg was about an inch longer than the other.  But, I enjoyed the class.  Mainly I learned how to gracefully walk down stairs and get out of a car. 

What I would like is a really good book on the finer points of dining etiquette.   I've got the basics down.  For example, a friend went to a business etiquette class.  She learned that if you use a sugar packet, you aren't supposed to tear it into two pieces.

There used to be ads here for someone local to me that taught dining etiquette classes to kids.  From the description it was like the tea parties, only with a meal.

Interesting.  Exactly how were you supposed to tear it?

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »

Interesting.  Exactly how were you supposed to tear it?

I always do a neat tear in the corner (not off, just open) and pour from there.  It never occurred to me to split the packet in two although I guess that would be faster!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

veronaz

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
LL Cool J (I think now he's on NCIS) has talked in interviews about how he sends his kids to formal etiquette school.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
June Daily-Watkins has been around for years and years in Sydney.

http://www.jdw.com.au/sydney.asp