Author Topic: S/O - Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty  (Read 1234 times)

Phoebelion

S/O - Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:24:03 AM »
After so many horror stories, we need a pick up.

I started my first job at 12 yrs old in the kitchen of an all you can eat restaurant.  Yep, laws were different in the "old days".

I had gotten the job working 4 days a week after school, all day Saturday, and half day Sunday in the kitchen.  I was the salad girl.  At $1.00 per hour.  BTW, at the time, you would get $ .50 per hour baby sitting no matter how many kids you were babysitting for.  So $1 an hour was big money. 

After a month, I was surprised to get a $ .10 raise. They said I went above and beyond what I was responsible for and everyone appreciated the extra work/effort I put in.  Not thinking, I had pitched in and helped other people without realizing.  I've never been able to stand/sit around doing nothing. 

I worked there for four years and passed the job onto my younger sister.  I have great memories of the people and time I spent there. 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: S/O - Unwarrented Demands for Loyalty
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:31:37 AM »
I started my current job in April last year. In September - so, five months after I started, two months after I became permanent - I miscarried and ended up needing to take a lot of time off. Of course, I hadn't built up anything near the amount of sick leave I would have needed to cover my absences, so I was expecting to have a few very small pay checks.

Nope. My supervisor told the boss how much time I'd needed to take off and that I'd said I knew I was going to run out of sick leave and go onto leave without pay. His response? "No, she's sick, so it's sick leave." He paid me in full. :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »
At my previous job ( I had a few stories in the other thread), when it was discovered that I had cancer, I had only been working there a short time, maybe two years. Unbeknownst to me or to one another, a number if my co workers went to HR and offered to donate sick days to me ( at the time they had a crazy system of accumulating sick days and vacation days, so some employees had accumulated hundreds of days). I didn't need them in the end but it was a sweet gesture.

Also the assistant head of HR pushed my tenure through like mad so " in case" anything happens I would have full coverage

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Peppergirl

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »
^^ that's sweet.

Conversely, when a co worker of mine's husband died suddenly at age 47, she was low on leave. She ran out. The VP of our region went to HR to donate a week of his PTO  time to her. They refused, citing policy.

She ended up having to take some unpaid time and was forced to come back more quickly than she was emotionally able to handle.

Nice. So proud of my company.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
So I'm a manager. One of my team started feeling sick. He sent me an email saying he wanted to go home, and he'd work for another hour and a half to make it to the halfway mark, then apply half of his comp day (he'd worked on a weekend) to cover it.

Here's me, rolling my eyes:   ::)

I was going to send him an email that said, "I refuse your request for a comp day today" as the subject line, and inside say: "You're sick--that's a sick day!"

But I decided his sense of humor isn't robust enough for that, so I wrote a more sedate one saying, "No, if you feel unable to work for a physical reason, that's a sick day. Leave now. Feel better. Keep your comp day in the bank."

It wasn't "above and beyond" on my part by any means--and in a way, the "unwarranted loyalty" was his, to think that he needed to "pay for" his sick day. (I think he was still in the "freelancer paid by the hour" mindset, or something.)

When my mom died, I'd only been there about 3 months; my bosses said, "Take the time you need, we'll sort it out." I never did get asked to file time-off requests. I just went and came back. It was nice to not have to worry about that.

Kaypeep

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »
At my current job, I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home sometimes.  A few years ago my mom had a stroke and was hospitalized and then in rehab for about 5 weeks.  On top of this, she was a massive hoarder, and my siblings and I had to work to clean out her house and make repairs so that it would be safe for her to return home with limited mobility.  I worked from home for five weeks at full pay (working nights and mornings) while spending the days dealing with cleanup, contractors and the hospital visiting mom.   My bosses never gave me a hard time, and I was so grateful.

When I was a teen I worked for about 8 years at a family owned store where one of my bosses (there were 3) paid to have my junky car repaired.  I used the same mechanic they did, and when I went to get the car anticipating a huge bill, the mechanic told me it was taken care of.    They also took me off payroll and paid me off the books when I started college because I learned the hard way that I made too much money my freshman year and lost some financial aid (even though the money was all spent on books, transit, food and tuition for classes the first year, since it wasn't full coverage financial aid!)  But college tuition and financial aid is another topic all together....

Jones

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »
When our insurance rates and deductibles went up, the CEO of my current company installed a plan that the company would reimburse us half our deductible if we met it in a year. My daughter met hers last year, I sent in my form and when the check came 2 weeks later it was immediately put towards the things we'd put off in order to pay her medical bills.

Alli8098

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
It wasn't on the same level as some of what you guys have posted but I think I was still in my first year as a contract employee for a large tech company.  I had a sore on my gum that wasn't going away and I couldn't figure out where it came from.  So I made an appointment with the dentist thinking I'd be gone maybe just an hour and a half.  Nope, they did some x-rays and it turns I cracked the bottom of my molar and the sore was a sign of an abscess. 

A few weeks before the sore the appeared I suddenly had begun to experience lots of jaw and tooth pain.  Turns out I have TMJ and bruxism and was clenching and grinding my teeth so hard in my sleep that I was causing severe inflammation.  I was fitted for specialty mouth guard to wear at night and things improved vastly.  And then the sore appeared.

To make a long story short I ended up being at the dentist nearly 4 hours for an emergency root canal.  I was so sure my boss was going to be really mad at me.  I even tried to call him with my half numb mouth on my way back into the office but I think he was in a meeting  so I left a voice mail.  As soon as I reached the office he saw me and said "What are you doing here?  Go home!".  He was so understanding about what had happened that I was not in trouble at all.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »
My dear friend became very ill (uncontrolled diabetes) and went into a diabetic coma. He was not expected to survive, but he did. A few weeks after returning to work it became obvious that he couldn't continue and would have to go out on disability. It can take a long time to get disability to start paying so he was very worried about how he was going to pay his bills.

His employers, kind generous people, decided to continue paying him at his full rate of pay until his disability benefits kicked in. He was also allowed to keep his insurance through the company, which he very desparately needed.

Sadly, his disease got the best of him and he died a few months later, but he was able to enjoy his last few months of life without stressing about how he would pay the rent/groceries/utilities/med bills. And to me that is priceless. The company he worked for has my loyalty forevermore and any time it is appropriate to a convesation I sing their praises.

ETA: AND, at his wake, they provided a generous spread of food to be catered.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:33:29 PM by SamiHami »

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »
My best friend's husband's father owns a paving company.  He doesn't pay as much per hour as some companies, but unlike most of that nature, he makes sure his guys work all winter.  If he does a layoff, it's only for a week or two, and then they are back.  He also gives bonuses, not just at holidays, but also when the guys have given their all on a difficult, out of town, job.  He has treated his employees and their families to all expenses paid vacations to nice place, and if he finds out about a special need of an employee, he makes sure it's taken care of. The father-in-law is a member of a certain religion which I have noticed really seems to care about other people and their needs, and are known for being honest as the day is long.  That probably has something to do with it, but I think he's also just a decent guy.

As a result,he has guys who have been with him upward of 20 years or more, even though they could make a lot more per hour elsewhere.

Soft silly music is meaningful, magical